The Star of India by Carole Bugge

An adequate, unremarkable imitation of a Sherlock Holmes novel. It's a decent effort - a nice inoffensive story that serves to pass the time - but the end result isn't up to the standards set by the original works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

This is the first Sherlock Holmes novel I've ever read where I was able to figure out the majority of the mystery long before Holmes did. I'd like to think it's because I am so much wiser as I enter into middle age than I ever was as a bright eyed youth devouring the adventures of Holmes and Dr. Watson... I'd like to think that but reality - in the form of a weak and predictable plot - prevents me from it. ( )
  Mike-L | Apr 8, 2013 |
A slightly thin plot and the atmosphere is somewhat spoiled by the Americanisms in the text. Not the best of the further adventures but not the worst either. ( )
  simon_carr | Dec 30, 2011 |
Substance: A reasonably Sherlockian mystery, but not extremely devious. The instigating premise is thin at best, using the explanation of "vanity" to excuse deplorable lapses of judgment on the part of the villain not otherwise known for such.
Style: Mimics Doyle reasonably well, with the obligatory modern-day interjections to show how much more civilized we are than our ancestors. ( )
  librisissimo | Mar 18, 2011 |
Once again, Sherlock Holmes has sunk into a deep ennui. Evidently there is no crime in England at this time, or at least, none which appeals to his crime-solving genius. Home alone, with Mrs. Hudson visiting her sister in Cornwall, the novel opens with a visit from Dr. John Watson, with an invitation to attend a musical concert. Et voila! A mystery begins as Holmes and Watson take their seats. It seems that a young lady with a very distinct perfume captures their attention (in fact, Watson is almost nauseous with the scent); she fails to turn up during the second act. However, she is soon back within the sights of Holmes & Watson as she comes to retrieve a pair of gloves left at the theater which Holmes has in his possession. Also in her possession: the fabled Star of India, and after hearing the story about how she came to have this famous and beautiful jewel Holmes realizes that his evil nemesis, Professor Moriarty, has returned from Reichenbach Falls where it was believed that he had died. But Holmes knows better. As soon as he makes this determination, it seems that things begin to happen in very quick succession, and as the story progresses, Holmes and Watson become aware of a sinister plot against the English throne. Once more, it's up to Holmes and Watson to save the day.

So that's the basic outline of the story. As much as I love the various Sherlock Holmes pastiches (and there are a LOT of them out there), I was unhappy with the "deus ex machina" that the author devised to pull him out of a very sticky situation. I won't tell you what it was, but suffice it to say, it was just too pat. Also, I couldn't believe that Sherlock Holmes, with all of his genius, could not figure out one part of the mystery. I mean, I figured it out early on and I'm not Sherlock Holmes! I think the author should have realized that if a reader can figure it out, she needed to make Holmes just a wee bit quicker on the uptake.

Overall, it was an incredibly quick read and a fun one. I LOVE Mycroft Holmes (he's always been my favorite character) and I did enjoy the author's portrayal of him. If you want something for pure escape fun, this is it.

I would recommend it to people who read Sherlock Holmes pastiches, and who aren't terribly worried about them measuring up to the original product. I have another pastiche by this author which I'll be reading here in the near future. ( )
  bcquinnsmom | Feb 6, 2008 |

Professor James Moriarty is back to tease and torment, leading the duo on a chase through the dark and dangerous back streets of London and beyond.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s timeless creation returns in a new series of handsomely designed detective stories. The Further Adventures series encapsulates the most varied and thrilling cases of the worlds’ greatest detective.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:47 -0400)

"Holmes and Watson find themselves caught up in a complex chess board of a problem, involving a clandestine love affair and the disappearance of a priceless sapphire. Professor James Moriarty is back to tease and torment, leading the duo on a chase through the dark and dangerous back streets of London and beyond"--Cover p. [4].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,907,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible