The Saints Go Dying by Erik Hanberg

The Saints Go Dying (2010)

by Erik Hanberg

This was a pretty good read despite all the grammar mistakes. Come on authors, how do you publish a book with even one grammar mistake?
The plot was fun and believable and a breezy read thanks to the author not getting in to too much detail.
This is a good tip for other writers by the way, often writers get too intricate with all the plot twists and details and this can actually bog the story down and make it easier to find the holes. Nice broad strokes lets the reader fill in the details they need for the story to make sense.
I also like the main character, Arthur Beautyman, though he is drawn a bit thin.
Overall it was a nice quick read, nothing special, not a writer I will seek out but if a simple detective tracks down serial killer story is what you are in the mood for, this should work just fine for most readers.
  AskTheTicketGuy | May 3, 2015 |
Arthur Beautyman is a detective trying to find the Babylon murder. Fourteen months ago, the first victim was found shaved and drained of her blood. On the second victim, there was a card with a quote about the Whore of Babylon. It seems that the murder is targeting saints, those people that donate their money and time in one-way or another.

The general public is getting scared. There has not been a break on the case and the television program Watchdog is making sure they know that the police are incompetent fools. Trying to find away around this roadblock, Beautyman is elected to appear on Watchdog to portray himself in the special on the Babylon murder.

Beautyman knows that it is only time before he takes the fall for not getting results sooner. He is called into the station in the early morning hours for someone that fits the description of the murderer, he discovers that Gregory Raphael, the guy that plays the murderer on Watchdog. An odd details stands out and Beautyman thinks he has the murderer, but now he has to try and prove it.

I really liked this story. You didn’t know for sure whom the murderer is and even though Beautyman thinks he has found the answer, it’s not going to be that easy to prove. This is a quick read but well worth the time. If you like quick little mysteries, you will really enjoy this story. ( )
  jbronderblogs | Apr 3, 2012 |
Are you looking for an edge of your seat thriller? A book that will hook you and keep you until the last page? A story that will have you reading it in ONE sitting? Well then, Erik Hanberg's well written, complex, and mysterious, yet humorous book, The Saints Go Dying is the one for you. It's the first in the Arthur Beautyman series, and it's a hit with me. I loved every minute of this suspenseful,humourous thriller.

Arthur Beautyman is not your average everyday detective. Nope. Not a bit. He does his crime solving in a whole different way, yet it's believable and fun to follow. Watching him as a hacker, watching him solve his crime with his whole self was awesome. I absolutely LOVED it! Catching a serial killer can't be easy but Beautyman makes it seem so! This is not a long book, but it's definitely addictive and easily read in one sitting. The way that Erik wrote this story and the way the story ended (I won't go into detail for I don't give spoilers!), you'll be surprised!

This is most definitely a high 5 Book worthy story and I am so happy that the author contacted me to review this. I loved every minute of this roller coaster ride, and I can't wait for more of these Beautyman Mysteries to release (which #2 is The Marina Murders and I am super excited to be able review that one, too!). Well, what are you waiting for? Grab your copy now! ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Jan 29, 2012 |
A serial murderer is on the loose in the City of Angels, Los Angeles. Unfortunately this murderer clearly aligns himself with evil and is out to kill people that do good or "saints" in Erik Hanberg's THE SAINTS GO DYING.

Deputy Arthur Beautyman is the lead investigator and coordinator on the case. He is literally being overseen by the entire city thanks to a local television program called 'Watchdog.' Beautyman is definitely not a Hollywood or LA version of an investigator. He's rather short, has graying hair, and has an "average" pockmarked face. This is a case of Beautyman versus the beast, the serial killer. After fourteen months and numerous murders there isn't even a viable suspect, or is there? Is the killer really that good or is the Sheriff's department that inept? That is what 'Watchdog' would have everyone believe but is it true? Beautyman has his hands full juggling the investigation, public backlash and the ever-increasing popularity of the 'Watchdog' series.

Mr. Hanberg has provided a nicely written suspense in THE SAINTS GO DYING. The characters and the action are very believable, or at least until the end. I found the ending a bit far-fetched but fiction doesn't have to mirror reality. THE SAINTS GO DYING is a quick read and packs a suspense-filled punch to the end. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Jul 19, 2011 |

Erik Hanberg is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,834,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible