HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay
Loading...

The House I Loved (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
4603622,586 (3.18)19
Member:TessaSlingerland
Title:The House I Loved
Authors:Tatiana de Rosnay
Info:Pan Books
Collections:Read in 2012, Read but unowned, Engelstalig
Rating:***
Tags:Paris, Haussmann, destruction, love, 258 p

Work details

The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay (2011)

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 19 mentions

English (29)  Dutch (5)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (36)
Showing 1-5 of 29 (next | show all)
Well written, but depressing. I was never quite convinced one could die for a house. ( )
  Lesley-Anne | Jul 24, 2015 |
Excellent. Anyone who hasn't read this author must!! ( )
  leahhenderson | Apr 18, 2015 |
I should have like this book more then I did. It is well written. I do understand the love for a house especially since recently we just had to sell my childhood home and I was devestated. However, I could not get to an understanding of this sacrafice as Rose stays in her home until her death. It is an interesting historic time when the Prefect and Napoleon III decide to renovate the streets of Paris into long , straight boulevards making people leave their homes and businesses. ( )
  Smits | Dec 14, 2014 |
Prachtig verhaal, maar een boek dat mij jammer genoeg nooit echt raakte. Misschien omdat ik het geluisterd heb ipv gelezen?
( )
  pieterserrien | Aug 16, 2014 |
I am surprised at how much I hated this book because I loved "Sarah's Key". The fact that it took me three moths to read it should have been enough to get me to stop but when I start a book I finish it.The book is about a widow named Rose Bazelet who fights until the end to save her house from destruction during the renovation of Paris, France in 1860's. ( )
  LizPhoto | Mar 5, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 29 (next | show all)
. . . one gets the clear sense of a woman losing her place in a changing world, but this isn’t enough to make up for a weak narrative hung entirely on the eventual reveal of a long-buried secret.
added by Nickelini | editPublishers Weekly (Dec 12, 2012)
 
Can a novel make us nostalgic for a place we’ve never been? With her third English-language release, an uncomplicated story brimming with homespun details, Tatiana de Rosnay presents a convincing case. Nearly every sentence evokes the appeal of mid-19th-century Paris, the city she clearly loves, and her empathy for the citizens whose homes and dreams were obliterated by the march of progress.
 
De Rosnay’s delicacy and the flavor of her beloved Paris are everywhere in this brief but memorable book.

Replete with treats, particularly for Paris-lovers—indeed for anyone wedded to a special place.
added by Nickelini | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 29, 2011)
 
París, década de 1860. La ciudad está en pleno proceso de cambio, abandonando el París medieval para dar paso al París moderno y urbano. El barón Haussmann, prefecto de la ciudad, por encargo del emperador Napoleón III llevará a cabo las grandes ideas y estrategias de esta radical reforma.

Cuando Rose se casó con Armand Bazelet sabía que se unía al hombre de su vida. Su larga unión fue algo hermoso e inquebrantable. Pero hace diez años que Armand ya no está. Y a Rose tan solo le queda la casa, la casa donde nació Armand, y su padre, y el padre de su padre. La casa de la calle Childebert, antigua y robusta, solo habitada por generaciones de Bazelet, que ha albergado mucha felicidad y también tristezas, y un terrible secreto jamás confesado. Y le quedan sus vecinos, entre ellos la joven Alexandrine, capaz de aturdir y reavivar a Rose con su fuerte personalidad, sus maneras modernas y rotundas y su sincero afecto.
Por eso, cuando una carta con remite “Prefectura de París. Ayuntamiento” le anuncia que su casa y todas las de la calle serán expropiadas y derribadas para continuar la prolongación del bulevar Saint-Germain, siguiendo los planes de remodelación de la ciudad de París del barón Haussmann, Rose solo sabe una cosa: tal como prometió a su marido, jamás abandonará la casa.

Con el telón de fondo de la convulsa Francia del siglo XIX, Tatiana de Rosnay desarrolla un delicioso y conmovedor retrato de un mundo que ya no existe, de calles a la medida del hombre que albergan a personas que se relacionan, que desempeñan sus oficios unos cerca de otros, que se enfrentan y que se apoyan. Un libro inestimable que hace reflexionar sobre lo que la modernidad, en su necesario avance de progreso y mejoras, arrolla y relega al olvido. Poco estaremos avanzando si, en el camino, ignoramos el alma de las cosas.

added by LilianaL | editLibros Epub
 
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Paris slashed with saber cuts, its veins opened.

--Émile Zola, The Kill, 1871
The old Paris is no more (the shape of a city changes faster, alas! than the human heart).

--Charles Baudelaire, "The Swan," 1861
I wish for all this to be marked on my body when I am dead. I believe in such cartography -- to be marked by nature, not just to label ourselves on a map like the names of rich men and women on buildings.

--Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient
Dedication
This is for my mother, Stella,

and for my House Man: NJ
First words
My beloved, I can hear them coming up our street.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Paris, France: 1860’s. Hundreds of houses are being razed, whole neighborhoods reduced to ashes. By order of Emperor Napoleon III, Baron Haussman has set into motion a series of large-scale renovations that will permanently alter the face of old Paris, moulding it into a “modern city.” The reforms will erase generations of history—but in the midst of the tumult, one woman will take a stand.

Rose Bazelet is determined to fight against the destruction of her family home until the very end; as others flee, she stakes her claim in the basement of the old house on rue Childebert, ignoring the sounds of change that come closer and closer each day. Attempting to overcome the loneliness of her daily life, she begins to write letters to Armand, her beloved late husband. And as she delves into the ritual of remembering, Rose is forced to come to terms with a secret that has been buried deep in her heart for thirty years. Tatiana de Rosnay's The House I Loved is both a poignant story of one woman’s indelible strength, and an ode to Paris, where houses harbor the joys and sorrows of their inhabitants, and secrets endure in the very walls...
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

"Paris, France: 1860's. Hundreds of houses are being razed, whole neighborhoods reduced to ashes. By order of Emperor Napoleon III, Baron Haussman has set into motion a series of large-scale renovations that will permanently alter the face of old Paris, moulding it into a modern city. The reforms will erase generations of history-but in the midst of the tumult, one woman will take a stand. Rose Bazelet is determined to fight against the destruction of her family home until the very end; as others flee, she stakes her claim in the basement of the old house on rue Childebert, ignoring the sounds of change that come closer and closer each day. Attempting to overcome the loneliness of her daily life, she begins to write letters to Armand, her beloved late husband. And as she delves into the ritual of remembering, Rose is forced to come to terms with a secret that has been buried deep in her heart for thirty years. The House I Loved is both a poignant story of one woman's indelible strength, and an ode to Paris, where houses harbor the joys and sorrows of their inhabitants, and secrets endure in the very walls"-- Cover verso.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 6 descriptions

LibraryThing Author

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

profile page | author page

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
4 avail.
105 wanted
7 pay5 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.18)
0.5
1 4
1.5 2
2 27
2.5 9
3 49
3.5 16
4 32
4.5 4
5 12

Audible.com

An edition of this book was published by Audible.com.

See editions

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,471,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible