Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to…

Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication (edition 2006)

by Andy Stanley, Lane Jones

Member:mrdrjohn2
Title:Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication
Authors:Andy Stanley
Other authors:Lane Jones
Info:Multnomah Books (2006), Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:***
Tags:andy stanley, preaching, preach, sermon, sermon preparation, one point, speaking, communication, application

Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication by Andy Stanley

I am sure Andy Stanley is a fine preacher, but this book is atrocious. The first half of this book is written as a novella about a preacher who can't preach well and then he meets someone who teaches him communication values. Sounds interesting, right; however, it's unoriginal. It is the same premise of "Preaching with Freshness." Second, Stanley writes as if he pioneered "one point" preaching. But really, his book is just a condensed version of Dr. Robinson's "Biblical Preaching." Finally, he says some pretty ridiculous statements in regards to preaching and engaging the audience. For example, "On rare occasions I know the point before I begin my official preparation. Sometimes it emerges from life rather than from the text..." (pg 107). Although he acknowledges that this approach can be dangerous, I think he is foolish to use this approach. Our goal as preachers is to preach the Word of God, not life. And he states this, "When a message does not apply to an unbeliever, I let 'em know that as well...'In fact, today's message may give you another reason to put off becoming a Christian'" (pg 128-29). Really Andy Stanley? Maybe he's joking, but I do not think it's funny.

Maybe I am too harsh, but there are definitely better preaching books. ( )
  erikssonfamily | Sep 23, 2010 |
If you preach and/or teach this will serve you in countless ways. Tons of helpful suggestions and above all a good reminder of what our end game is - changed lives! ( )
  adamtarn | May 2, 2009 |
Good read on preaching. Application based - one point sermon with virtually no notes or pulpit. He does encourage visuals of all kinds. His point is that most people only remember one point anyway - just give them one point. The first third of the book is a story written by Co-Author that takes the reader through the writing process of the journey. Andy then does the teaching with the rest of the book. ( )
  mrdrjohn2 | May 19, 2008 |
North Point, preaching, teaching
  sjmonson | Feb 25, 2008 |

55 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible