The Dark Tower (Interquel): The Wind Through…

The Dark Tower (Interquel): The Wind Through the Keyhole (edition 2012)

by Stephen King

Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Boys, Shape shifters, Fantasy

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

2012 (18) 2013 (7) adventure (5) audiobook (8) dark tower (97) ebook (10) fantasy (152) fantasy fiction (8) fiction (103) gunslinger (8) hardcover (7) HC (6) horror (57) Kindle (8) King (13) limited (5) novel (15) post-apocalyptic (5) read (15) read in 2012 (14) science fiction (13) series (25) sff (9) shapeshifters (5) slipcase (7) Stephen King (39) thriller (5) to-read (94) unread (8) western (20)

English (55)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (63)
Well, it's a really good tale, two actually, but it really has very little to do with The Dark Tower, other than the fact that the ka-tet is in it. The tet is caught in a starkblast, and Roland tells the tale of the Skin-Man from when he was young. In that adventure, he tells the story of "The Wind Through the Keyhole" which has nothing to do at all with the DT! So... I liked the stories, but am bummed at how little they had to do with the overall saga. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 26, 2014 |
I remember when this book came out – the reviews were not good. Neither critics nor fan seemed to much appreciate this bonus peek into the world of Roland Deschain. I’m not sure what they were hoping for…but in my view – “The Wind Through the Keyhole” was an enjoyable reminder of Roland’s world – of the world of the Beam, and Billybumblers and ka…the world that lived in the past and the apocalyptic future at the same time. The world that has moved on, even as its readers hope to journey back.

This is an interesting read – it is a fairy tale within reminiscence within a story. The fairy tale, the actual “The Wind Through the Keyhole”, is a tale Roland had been told many times by his mother. In the midst of the memory he tells Jake, Susannah and Eddie, this tale is included as one he told a younger boy. The tale is about a boy, Tim Ross, and a quest he goes on. This quest, like most, involves danger, uncertainty and a child who is forced to grow up before his time. “He felt awe as he looked up at those stars, but also a deep and abiding contentment, such as he felt as a child, awakening in the night, safe and warm beneath his quilt, drowsing half in and half out of sleep, listening to the wind sing its lonely song of other places and other lives.”

When Tim’s story ended, it was difficult to shake off the cobwebs of that magic tale and reorient myself in Roland’s. I had to stop for a moment and remember where I was – in a story about Roland’s youth. That reminiscence was interesting as well – and does give the Dark Tower fan a few additional treats. Roland’s tortured feelings about his mother come to the forefront and we learn a bit more about the end of that relationship.

“There was a little more, words I traced over and over during my wandering years after the disastrous battle at Jericho Hill and the fall of Gilead. I traced them until the paper fell apart and I let the wind take it – the wind that blows through time’s keyhole, ya ken. In the end, the wind takes everything, doesn’t it? And why not? Why other? If the sweetness of our lives did not depart, there would be no sweetness at all.”

I was not disappointed in this book at all. It was lovely to go back to Roland’s world…or at least return to the feel of his world. Where longing echoes through every sound – longing for times past and people who have crossed over and are in the clearing. For times of gunslingers and villains and magical creatures. For a time before the Dark Tower series was finished and on a bookshelf. For a bit more of the magic that this author and this series has put into our world. ( )
  karieh | Jun 15, 2014 |
Absolutely loved it. Its always good to return to midworld. I hope this is not the last time I get to go. ( )
  bmdenny | Apr 25, 2014 |
Roland, Susannah, Eddie, Jake, and Oy take shelter from a starkblast, a freezing windstorm. While waiting out the storm Roland tells them about an incident from his youth. His father sends him and his friend Jamie to investigate several killings in Debaria. The only witness is a frightened boy named Billy. Roland tries to comfort Billy by telling him a folktale from his childhood.

The majority of the novel is taken up by “The Wind Through the Keyhole,” the fairytale Roland tells Billy while they are waiting for Jamie to bring suspects for Billy to identify. This is the first time I have read a book that was like a nesting doll; a story within a story within a story. King pulls it off well.

It’s been a few years since I read the original Dark Tower books, but I was able to remember all the characters and the original plotline. I enjoyed revisiting the characters and the world in which they live. This novel can be read as part of the Dark Tower series or as a stand-alone book. ( )
  craso | Apr 20, 2014 |

**A story within a story, within a story...**

"A person's never tool old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, never tool old. We live for them." (Roland Deschain).

"The Wind through the Keyhole" is a novel that stands a little bit aside from the rest of the Dark Tower saga. Its story takes place between the 4th & 5th novels.
If Stephen King concluded the saga about 7 years ago, he seems to find it hard to let it go and not coming back to it.
This is something that anyone can easily understand as he spent over 40 years writing it (published over 20 years), and it developped its roots in numerous of his short stories and novels (Black House & Insomnia are probably the best exemples). His whole bibliography has been deeply impacted by the Dark Tower saga.

This novel, "The wind through the keyhole" is dedicated to Robin Furth and the whole team @ Marvel Comics. As this team took his universe, adapted in comics and developped it.. we can guess that Stephen King wanted himself to return to the Dark Tower and write some more stories... and what better way than the one that he found?

"The Wind through the Keyhole" is the title of story, within a story narrated by Roland.

It's always a pleasure to meet Roland & his ka-tet.. but i personally was disappointed by this novel, and more precisely by the fact there is not much 'links' with the whole saga. The main part of this book is the story titled "The wind through the keyhole", which is nicely written... but it simply didnt manage to "catch me".
IMHO, Roland & Jamie's hunt for the skin-man is quite short, and, it seemed to me, too easy. And finally, the part with Roland and his ka-tet looking for a shelter before the icy-storm is also quite short.

In the end, although the stories are nicely written and put altogether, one inside each other, i personally was disappointed by the overwhole novel.
I simply wanted to spend more time with Roland and his ka-tet... and that's what i was expecting.

ClubStephenKing | Apr 11, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
iStockphoto/Thinksto…Cover artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JaeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murray, DeniseCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Robin Furth, and the gang at Marvel Comics.
During the days after they left the Green Palace tha wasn't Oz after all -- but which was now the tomb of the unpleasant fellow Roland's ka-tet had known as the Tick-Tock Man -- the boy Jake began to range farther and farther ahead of Roland, Eddie, and Susannah.
It seemed to him that if the wrong man stepped into the marriage-loop with a woman, it was a noose instead of a ring.
"I cut the rope so, chary man!"
Time was a face on the water, and like the great river before them, it did nothing but flow.
There's nothing like stories on a windy night when folks have found a warm place in a cold world.
Horror's a worm that needs to be coughed out before it breeds. Now tell them.

Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland Deschain takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Magic Tales of the Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, "The Wind through the Keyhole." (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.)… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,523,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible