The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower…

The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel (edition 2012)

by Stephen King

Info:Simon and Schuster Digital Sales (2012), E-book
Collections:Read but unowned, Kindle
Tags:sequel

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

English (62)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (71)
It didn't really do much to add to the Dark Tower story as the characters there sit down to listen to Roland tell a story. And he tells two, one nesting within the other. I liked it but I can understand those who hoped for more of Roland and the ka-tet being disappointed. Perhaps there will be another story one of these days. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
I listen to this book from audible. Stephen King is the reader and does bring something to the story. I liked this book but yet was left wanting more from it. I have read the Dark Tower series from the beginning spanning some 20 years and loved them. This one is worth listening to, just don't expect this book to be one of the Dark Tower Novels. ( )
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |
This book just makes me want more Dark Tower stories whether it's the adult Roland or the younger one. ( )
  FourOfFiveWits | Feb 23, 2015 |
So glad I didn't wait to read this book and instead read it as book 4.5. The book is a story within a story within a story, told while our ka-tet waits out a crazy storm on their journey to the Dark Tower (after the Emerald City experience in book 4). We are given both another look at a young Roland on another assignment for his father as well as a taste of the storytelling that Roland grew up with. Both these tales bring you deeper into the character of Roland as well as the history/mythology of Mid-World. Definitely a hard book for me to put down, and the best evidence yet of how much King's writing improved from "The Gunslinger" (how much I did not like that book cannot fully be explained). Even though this novel was written after the "completion" of the original Dark Tower series, I am still looking forward to the rest of the books. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
As my friend has already said, reading this book was quite similar to hugging a dear friend you haven't seen for a long time. This isn't the best book of the series (in fact, I dare say that this is the second worse book - but this is my opinion), but alas it felt so good to go back to Mid-World and right into the arms of my favorite ka-tet.
As many others have already said, this book is a story within a story within a story, and maybe that's the reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as the others. After so much time without seeing Roland and co., having one story regarding his past and another one that serves as Gilead's "fairy tale" doesn't sound like such a great idea. It feels like we didn't have enough of Roland. There is so much that could have happened during the Starkblast. Seriously, the event itself could have made a story as good as the one told in The Wastelands.
Also... the preface of the book mentions that people who have not read any of the Dark Tower books will enjoy it as much as the people who have done it. Honestly, I believe that the story will actually be difficult to understand. Maybe the short story "Little Sisters of Eluria" from King's "Everything's Eventual" book would make more sense.
Nevertheless, this is definitely a good book. Nothing to die for, but a good book. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
iStockphoto/Thinksto…Cover artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JaeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murray, DeniseCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Robin Furth, and the gang at Marvel Comics.
During the days after they left the Green Palace tha wasn't Oz after all -- but which was now the tomb of the unpleasant fellow Roland's ka-tet had known as the Tick-Tock Man -- the boy Jake began to range farther and farther ahead of Roland, Eddie, and Susannah.
It seemed to him that if the wrong man stepped into the marriage-loop with a woman, it was a noose instead of a ring.
"I cut the rope so, chary man!"
Time was a face on the water, and like the great river before them, it did nothing but flow.
There's nothing like stories on a windy night when folks have found a warm place in a cold world.
Horror's a worm that needs to be coughed out before it breeds. Now tell them.

Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland Deschain takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Magic Tales of the Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, "The Wind through the Keyhole." (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.)… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,228,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible