The Dark Tower (Interquel): The Wind Through…

The Dark Tower (Interquel): The Wind Through the Keyhole (edition 2012)

by Stephen King

Collections:Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Myth--Immortals--Imaginary Worlds, Science fiction, Fantasy, 2012, NEW, bl

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

2012 (18) 2013 (7) audiobook (8) dark tower (98) ebook (10) fantasy (148) fantasy fiction (8) fiction (100) gunslinger (8) hardcover (7) HC (6) horror (54) Kindle (8) King (13) limited (5) novel (15) own (5) post-apocalyptic (5) read (14) read in 2012 (14) science fiction (14) series (23) sff (9) shapeshifters (5) slipcase (7) Stephen King (36) thriller (6) to-read (74) unread (7) western (19)

English (52)  French (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (59)

**A story within a story, within a story...**

"A person's never tool old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, never tool old. We live for them." (Roland Deschain).

"The Wind through the Keyhole" is a novel that stands a little bit aside from the rest of the Dark Tower saga. Its story takes place between the 4th & 5th novels.
If Stephen King concluded the saga about 7 years ago, he seems to find it hard to let it go and not coming back to it.
This is something that anyone can easily understand as he spent over 40 years writing it (published over 20 years), and it developped its roots in numerous of his short stories and novels (Black House & Insomnia are probably the best exemples). His whole bibliography has been deeply impacted by the Dark Tower saga.

This novel, "The wind through the keyhole" is dedicated to Robin Furth and the whole team @ Marvel Comics. As this team took his universe, adapted in comics and developped it.. we can guess that Stephen King wanted himself to return to the Dark Tower and write some more stories... and what better way than the one that he found?

"The Wind through the Keyhole" is the title of story, within a story narrated by Roland.

It's always a pleasure to meet Roland & his ka-tet.. but i personally was disappointed by this novel, and more precisely by the fact there is not much 'links' with the whole saga. The main part of this book is the story titled "The wind through the keyhole", which is nicely written... but it simply didnt manage to "catch me".
IMHO, Roland & Jamie's hunt for the skin-man is quite short, and, it seemed to me, too easy. And finally, the part with Roland and his ka-tet looking for a shelter before the icy-storm is also quite short.

In the end, although the stories are nicely written and put altogether, one inside each other, i personally was disappointed by the overwhole novel.
I simply wanted to spend more time with Roland and his ka-tet... and that's what i was expecting.

ClubStephenKing | Apr 11, 2014 |
I don't feel like 'The Wind Through the Keyhole' had all the power of a full-fledged Dark Tower. The double frame story weakened the overall book, though I guess it was necessary to establish that Roland was telling a tale of his youth and what better way than to tell stories around a campfire riding out a starkblast. (Great name for a storm by the way and the descriptors were fabulous.)

The story in the center of the frame, a fairytale told to young Roland by his mother years ago in Gilead is well done. It has excellent human elements of love, family, friendship, and betrayal. Magic and the Man in Black are extra-bonuses.

The middle frame of Roland and Jaime going to find a 'skin-man' is weaker, but it has some touching moments of Roland and the boy Billy which hearken back to his relationship with Jake.

Overall, probably a must read for Dark Tower fanatics, but not the best work in the series. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Intersting story within a story within a story. Bit disappointed that it didn't focus more on the main Dark Tower characters, but entertaining none the less. ( )
  davepdavis | Feb 6, 2014 |
Loved this book. I expected it to be so bad and out-of-touch with the feeling of the other Dark Tower books, but it wasn't. It felt like it fitted perfectly into the Dark Tower storyline/sequence. I did feel that Tim Ross's story was a bit too drawn-out, and I wish the Debaria side-story had gotten some more of the book's time. ( )
  broccolima | Jan 26, 2014 |
I wrote this paragraph last. Call it poor planning on my part (for King's part, see below). I wouldn't want you to read the rest of this review and not understand this: I loved the book. It's totally engrossing. The setting is rich, and the story (in a story, in a story) is a total page-turner. I mean it; I recommend the book without reservation.

Still, I wasn't so sure King knew where he was going from the outset, and the story suffers a bit due to his poor planning. It's a guess, but I think he sort of sat down and let the ideas pour. It's mostly the uneven, back-weighted pacing that led me to that conclusion, but I can see it in some other areas too. (Mild spoilers ahead)

For example, King rolls in young gunslinger Jamie as if he's to be fleshed out and turned into a real boy, but I had the sense that story got away from its author and Curry wasn't needed to carry the tale after all, so he remained wooden, taciturn, and superfluous. In reverse, but still probably a result of the same poor planning, we see Roland all but adopt Billy Streeter while there's really not enough material presented in the book to weave them together so tightly. I'm assuming King decided early-on where the relationship would go and then never had a chance to write the scenes that justify Roland's attachment. That said, I do entertain the unsupported possibility that young Roland is feeling some backwards transference from the Jake-Roland relationship occurring later in his life or compounding Tim with Billy.

I think the poor planning also shows up in the way King handled exposition. For about a third of the book, he over explains and dumbs-down his material. That's in addition to peppering the book with opportunities, both forced and somewhat natural, for back-story. That makes sense if one plans on later presenting a lot of ideas that could otherwise only have been understood by veteran readers. He doesn't. I think he planned to, but most of the catch-up was unnecessary. I'm pretty sure standalone readers could make it through the whole thing with hardly any of that. So, back to my original point, if King knew where he was going, I don't think he would have worried so much about easing new readers into Mid-World. For example, why reintroduce the ka-tet so carefully when we never return to them for more than an obligatory wrapper at the end of the book. He packs it in for the new readers (or forgetful fans) and then never unpacks.

In terms of structure, of the three stories, two were developed and significant while one was only a vehicle for the others. I forgive that because the wrapper had to exist -- it's the enteric coating that allowed King to slip the others into the Dark Tower stream. Still, he could have weighted them appropriately. My guess is that he planned to do more with the ka-tet at the end of the book, but when he got there, he realized he'd already said all he needed.

Anyhow, I had a great time reading the book and the inmost story is going to stick with me for a long time. ( )
  cshoughton | Jan 1, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
iStockphoto/Thinksto…Cover artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JaeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murray, DeniseCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Robin Furth, and the gang at Marvel Comics.
During the days after they left the Green Palace tha wasn't Oz after all -- but which was now the tomb of the unpleasant fellow Roland's ka-tet had known as the Tick-Tock Man -- the boy Jake began to range farther and farther ahead of Roland, Eddie, and Susannah.
It seemed to him that if the wrong man stepped into the marriage-loop with a woman, it was a noose instead of a ring.
"I cut the rope so, chary man!"
Time was a face on the water, and like the great river before them, it did nothing but flow.
There's nothing like stories on a windy night when folks have found a warm place in a cold world.
Horror's a worm that needs to be coughed out before it breeds. Now tell them.

Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland Deschain takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Magic Tales of the Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, "The Wind through the Keyhole." (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.)… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible