Suddenly, a Knock on the Door by Etgar Keret

Suddenly, a Knock on the Door (edition 2012)

by Etgar Keret

Member:coolmama
Title:Suddenly, a Knock on the Door
Authors:Etgar Keret
Info:Chatto & Windus (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, at TCPL

Suddenly, a Knock on the Door by Etgar Keret

A collection of short stories, with usual the Etgar Keret themes: the surrealism of living in Israel, suicide, alternative personal histories and women who disappear out of your life. Not as good as (or maybe less of a surprise than) the first book of his that I read (Happy Campers), but still a very enjoyable and wistful read. ( )
  fist | Jul 19, 2014 |
As someone who writes for a living, Keret’s way to dish out ideas by the dozen is borderline annoying: “Here’s a great concept which gets three pages, here’s a clever idea which gets, um, four and a half”. He uses exactly as much text as he needs to to present each story, and not a line more: an angel is faced with someone who actually wishes for world peace with his dying breath. A man wakes up from a coma, and can’t find a way to explain to his wife how much more wonderful it was than being awake. And three distant business acquaintances find themselves the only guests at a birthday party – and the birthday boy seems to have gone missing. A contract killer finds Hell is very different than he thought.

Some stories here are more everyday, borderline realistic, than I’ve read from Keret before. The blend in this book seems eclectic and all over the place, but somehow also works fantastically as a whole. Most impressive of all is that Keret isn’t just about the clever idea and the cool twist. He also manages to conjure interesting, relatable characters and say something about life in contemporary Israel. This is truly a big bag of delicious nibbles. Great, great, great stuff. ( )
1 vote GingerbreadMan | Apr 22, 2014 |
I was surprised on how quickly Suddenly, a Knock on the Door pulled me in. I only said that I would only read the first story which shares its name with the title and I wound up read the first 80 pages. Keret's short stories are so captivating, quirky, weird, hilarious, and compelling that it is extremely hard to to stop reading.

Since Keret, I am assuming, is an Israeli author, his stories were translated by three different people. My favorites were "Suddenly, a Knock on the Door,""Lieland,""Cheesus Christ,""The Polite Little Boy,""One Step Beyond," and "Parallel Universes."

"To Shira"
"Tell me a story," the bearded man sitting on my living-room sofa commands.

Bringing up a child, lying to the boss, placing an order in a fast-food restaurant: in Etgar Keret’s new collection, daily life is complicated, dangerous, and full of yearning. In his most playful and most mature work yet, the living and the dead, silent children and talking animals, dreams and waking life coexist in an uneasy world. Overflowing with absurdity, humor, sadness, and compassion, the tales in Suddenly, a Knock on the Door establish Etgar Keret—declared a “genius” by The New York Times—as one of the most original writers of his generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:38 -0400)

Combines absurd, humorous, and poignant themes that reveal the fierce humanity of characters in surreal situations.

68 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,892,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible