Suddenly, a Knock on the Door: Stories by…

Suddenly, a Knock on the Door: Stories (edition 2012)

by Etgar Keret, Nathan Englander (Translator), Miriam Shlesinger (Translator), Sondra Silverston (Translator)

2001458,342 (3.96)43
Member:TanyaTomato
Title:Suddenly, a Knock on the Door: Stories
Authors:Etgar Keret
Other authors:Nathan Englander (Translator), Miriam Shlesinger (Translator), Sondra Silverston (Translator)
Info:FSG Originals (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:**

Suddenly, a Knock on the Door by Etgar Keret

I was surprised on how quickly Suddenly, a Knock on the Door pulled me in. I only said that I would only read the first story which shares its name with the title and I wound up read the first 80 pages. Keret's short stories are so captivating, quirky, weird, hilarious, and compelling that it is extremely hard to to stop reading.

Since Keret, I am assuming, is an Israeli author, his stories were translated by three different people. My favorites were "Suddenly, a Knock on the Door,""Lieland,""Cheesus Christ,""The Polite Little Boy,""One Step Beyond," and "Parallel Universes."

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
My first encounter with Keret and I'll definitely be back for more. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 23, 2014 |
I can't shake the feeling that there were simply too many tales on display here. For every Kafkaesque or Nabokovian trick of language, there were two tales that did the same exact trick only with diminishing returns. Same for the tales of family and morality. With the short stories, sometimes less is more - Keret proves that himself with some of his shortest stories being the most powerful. Heed that lesson well, reader - and perhaps you'll find more uplifting entertainment here than I did.

Full review TK at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-Mw ( )
  drewsof | Oct 24, 2013 |
"To Shira"
"Tell me a story," the bearded man sitting on my living-room sofa commands.

Bringing up a child, lying to the boss, placing an order in a fast-food restaurant: in Etgar Keret’s new collection, daily life is complicated, dangerous, and full of yearning. In his most playful and most mature work yet, the living and the dead, silent children and talking animals, dreams and waking life coexist in an uneasy world. Overflowing with absurdity, humor, sadness, and compassion, the tales in Suddenly, a Knock on the Door establish Etgar Keret—declared a “genius” by The New York Times—as one of the most original writers of his generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:38 -0400)

Combines absurd, humorous, and poignant themes that reveal the fierce humanity of characters in surreal situations.

68 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,583,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible