Diet for a new America by John Robbins

Diet for a new America (original 1987; edition 1987)

by John Robbins

Member:jxn
Title:Diet for a new America
Authors:John Robbins
Info:Walpole, NH : Stillpoint, c1987.

Diet for a New America by John Robbins (1987)

recommended for: compassionate people, vegetarians, everyone

This is the book that introduced me to veganism. It makes compelling arguments for eliminating animal products, and happily living on all plant products for all you consume. Talks about the ramifications of animal vs. plant products concentrating on 3 aspects: for the animals, for the earth, for human health. If you care about the future of the earth and its inhabitants, you'll be interested in this book. ( )
2 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 15, 2013 |
I rarely put FIVE stars on a book. This one is brave, brilliant, and will change the nastier parts of our world immediately. I dare anyone to read, for but one example, the chapter on "the most unjustly maligned of all Animals", without feeling that life change-up.

The author, John Robbins, presents the facts about our diet and the relationship between what we are "consuming" and the rising incidence of cancer, diabetes, and heart attacks.

The author simply takes us on a fact-found tour of our food. The book does not sermonize or condemn the modern concentrated business combines that have destroyed our hopes for robust health and humane lives. However, he empowers a new life of sanity and care.

We all share the author's values -- "Eating should be a pleasure". [xv] Stop eating food that has been injected by the worst drug-pushers, is manufactured by torture, kills even the soil of our planet, and poisons all who eat it.

The billion-dollar lobbyists who represent the trillion-dollar Food Industry, and who continue to corrupt those who we elect to protect our welfare, are frauds.

* The author is the "Robbins" of Baskin-Robbins and speaks as an insider from personal experience as well as access to the original research and science. He is now a vegetarian and a lover of Nature. ( )
1 vote keylawk | Jan 5, 2013 |
John Robbins was born into one of the most powerful corporations in America–Baskin-Robbins. A company based entirely on selling animal products. Yet he took it upon himself to investigate the reality of animals products and their impact on Americans, American land, and the world overall. This book summarizes his extensive research, including personal visits to factory farms.

There are books that you read that are so incredibly powerful you are left almost speechless. Simply wanting to hand out copies to everyone you know, everyone you meet and say, “Please, read this.”

As a medical librarian, I was very careful to check out Robbins’ resources for his facts. He, in fact, utilized vetted, peer-reviewed scientific journals such as JAMA. Additionally, if the man had an innate bias, it would absolutely be on the side of carnists/omnivores, but he astoundingly conducted the research and came down on the side veg*ism.Definitely trust-worthy.

The book details the reality of factory farms, as well as the fact that the less meat-based your diet is the lower your occurrence of heart disease, all cancers, strokes, osteoporosis, diabetes, hypoglycemia, multiple sclerosis, ulcers, IBS, arthritis, kidney stones, gallstones, hypertension, anemia, and asthma. The final section deals with the stark environmental implications of meat-based diets.

I have a hard time imagining anyone reading the facts like this and not drastically changing their eating habits. So many of the economic and personal problems in the US today have to do with health. So maybe you’ve read this book and you still don’t care about animals and you still believe humans are better than them. But don’t you want to be as healthy as you can be for your lifetime? Wouldn’t you rather be a happy, healthy grandparent than a stooped-over one on multiple heart medications or going through chemotherapy? Even if you don’t care about that, don’t you want to leave a healthier planet for your children and your children’s children? The facts unequivocally show that the fewer animal products you consume, the better all of these outcomes will be.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-Hh ( )
1 vote gaialover | Jan 24, 2012 |
Robbins' pet project filled with pseudo-science and touches of corn-syrup sympathy, disconnected anecdotes and studies that provide no narrative or proofs. An easy pitfall for newborn vegans written by the trust-fund son of the latter half of the Baskin-Robbins ice cream tycoon. Jump to your own conclusion about motive and authority. ( )
1 vote ontoursecretly | Jan 11, 2011 |
Great book for vegetarians (like me). ( )
1 vote DavidGreene | Jul 18, 2010 |
You will not find very many monuments to dogs in this world.
There are so many instances in which animals have demonstrated profound intelligence that, frankly, I wonder sometimes about the intelligence of the people who insist that animals are dumb.
All of today's food animals--the proud and passionate chickens, the friendly and steadfast pigs, the gentle-hearted cows--are treated today in a manner that would, I believe, sicken any open-hearted person who had eyes to see what was actually happening.
This and millions of other such advertisements hammer home the message over and over that bulls are delighted for us to eat bull flesh. I can't help but think that the correct term for this type of thing is "bull shit"!

From John Robbins, a new edition of the classic that awakened the conscience of a nation. Since the 1987 publication of Diet for a New America, beef consumption in the United States has fallen a remarkable 19%. While many forces are contributing to this dramatic shift in our habits, Diet for a New America is considered to be one of the most important. Diet for a New America is a startling examination of the food we currently buy and eat in the United States, and the astounding moral, economic, and emotional price we pay for it.

In Section I, John Robbins takes an extraordinary look at our dependence on animals for food and the inhumane conditions under which these animals are raised. It becomes clear that the price we pay for our eating habits is measured in the suffering of animals, a suffering so extreme and needless that it disrupts our very place in the web of life.

Section II challenges the belief that consuming meat is a requirement for health by pointing our the vastly increased rate of disease caused by pesticides, hormones, additives, and other chemicals now a routine part of our food production. The author shows us that the high health risk is unnecessary, and that the production, preparation, and consumption of food can once again be a healthy process.

In Section III, Robbins looks at the global implications of a meat-based diet and concludes that the consumption of the resources necessary to produce meat is a major factor in our ecological crisis.

Diet for a New America is the single most eloquent argument for a vegetarian lifestyle ever published. Eloquently, evocatively, and entertainingly written, it is a cant put down book guaranteed to amaze, infuriate, but ultimately educate and empower the reader. A pivotal book nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for Non-Fiction in 1987.:

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:40 -0400)

A few of us are aware that the act of eating can be a powerful statement of commitment to our own well-being, and at the same time to the creation of a healthier world. In this book, John Robbins documents that our food choices can provide us with ways to enjoy life to the fullest, while making it possible that life itself might continue.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible