Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain by…

Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain (edition 2012)

by A. Lee Martinez

2322049,816 (3.84)6
Member:Rand1956
Title:Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain
Authors:A. Lee Martinez
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**

Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez

I like the sci-fi mixed with humor in his writing. I like the ridiculous story ideas and how things turn out usually I'm too wound up in the story to even try to figure out what is going to happen next. If you like silly yet sci-fi/fantasy novels this is a definite must. ( )
  rayneofdarkness | Nov 10, 2015 |
If you like Golden Age pulp sci-fi with a sense of humor, you'll enjoy this tribute to the genre. All the classic ingredients are here: death rays, aliens from every planet in the system, a delightfully hostile bodyguard, genetic horrors, and even an island full of dinosaurs in the Bermuda Triangle. Any of the offhand remarks to this Earth's alternate history would make for a worthy follow-up. (I want to see what Teddy Roosevelt was up to on Mars!)

While it's told "straight," the story isn't painfully earnest like some of the movies from that era. Martinez plays with the repercussions of the B-movie tropes that we all know; in this respect, it treads some of the same ground as "Megamind" - but without so much snark or low humor. What DOES an evil genius do when he succeeds?

Highly recommended. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
So I think 3/5 stars is pretty generous... the book wasn't a page turner, not was there very much character development. It was a great sci-fi spoof, I found myself chuckling at many a page... I don't know... it was a book that I read... not much else to it. ( )
  wkeblejr | Oct 10, 2015 |
Emperor Mollusk is a squishy super-intelligent cephalopod. He spends most of his time inside robotic bodies he built for himself, and he does not handle boredom well. He took over the planet Earth just because he could, but then found himself at a loss. His mind control turned all human beings into peaceful Emperor Mollusk fans, leaving the planet defenseless against outside attacks. Or Emperor Mollusk's inventions run amok. When you're constantly busy creating new things, it's easy to lose track of the occasional enraged genetically modified creature.

Mollusk is now a retired supervillain. He's not looking for forgiveness and doesn't particularly feel bad about what he did (except for maybe Saturn, that went badly). He just wants to continue inventing things and keep Earth as safe as possible until the humans have completely gotten over his mind control and are ready to take care of themselves again. Unfortunately, someone seems to be trying to kill him. Zala, a Venusian warrior who looks like a feathered reptile, becomes his reluctant bodyguard.

I don't even remember half of what happened in this book. I mean, there was a nearly indestructible pet ultrapede, pterodactyls that could shoot laser beams out of their eyes, an enormous rampaging Marie Curie robot, giant insects attacking Topeka, space battles, and more. It was confusing. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

On the one hand, I might have been better off reading this rather than listening to it. Any time my attention wandered even a little, something fantastical and confusing happened. It took me ages to realize that some scenes were actually flashbacks, and not Emperor Mollusk very quickly and briefly ditching Zala to go save some random Earth location from being destroyed (or at least from being destroyed even more). Scenes with Zala and Emperor Mollusk investigating and/or fleeing for their lives were interspersed with scenes of past Emperor Mollusk gradually realizing that being a supervillain wasn't quite so much fun anymore.

On the other hand, if I had read this rather than listened to it, I would have missed out on Scott Aiello's fabulous narration. His Emperor Mollusk was deliciously fun to listen to, and I laughed when he attempted to read the lipless aliens' dialogue without using his lips. He even did a great job with Zala – he used a softer voice for her, to indicate that she was female, but the result thankfully didn't sound breathy and weak, like some male narrators' voices for women do.

I was a little bummed when this book was put on sale shortly after I bought it at the full Audible membership price. However, it was worth it, and I definitely plan on listening to it again. The ending was a mess and incredibly confusing (perhaps purposely so), and some of the action scenes were oddly lacking in tension and emotion, but I didn't mind because the overall journey was so much fun.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 28, 2015 |
I was lent this by a friend who asked me to pass it on to his sibling whom I would see in two weeks. Having just finished a somewhat depressing book I reluctantly decided to give this one a whirl while eating supper. My initial impression from the cover and title was that it looks like the sort of thing a 13 year old would like.

However, it hits all the right notes for what it is. It's a silly yarn but with a story with enough twists to keep you following along while dropping the occasional snarky comment or wry statement written into the dialog to make you chuckle. It's over the top but doesn't take itself to seriously. It's light reading and I ended up really enjoying it. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |

A. Lee Martinezprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aiello, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the usual folks: Mom, Sally, Nik, Russell, the

DFWWW, my agent, my editor, Orbit Books, the

people who buy the books, Optimus Prime, and the

rest. You're still just as important as you ever were and

this is a lot easier because of you.

To Atomic Robo, for keeping my love of comic books

alive and well.

And to Victor Von Doom.
There's no sound in space, but my saucer cannons simulated a shriek with every blast.

Emperor Mollusk. Intergalactic Menace. Destroyer of Worlds. Conqueror of Other Worlds. Mad Genius. Ex-Warlord of Earth. Not bad for a guy without a spine. But what's a villain to do after he's done... everything.

With no new ambitions, he's happy to pitch in and solve the energy crisis or repel aliens invaders should the need arise, but if he had his way, he'd prefer to be left alone to explore the boundaries of dangerous science. Just as a hobby, of course. Retirement isn't easy though. If the boredom doesn't get him, there's always the Venusians. Or the Saturnites. Or the Mercurials. Or... well, you get the idea. If that wasn't bad enough, there's also the assassins of a legendary death cult and an up-and-coming megalomaniac (as brilliant as he is bodiless) who have marked Emperor for their own nefarious purposes.

But Mollusk isn't about to let the Earth slip out of his own tentacles and into the less capable clutches of another. So it's time to dust off the old death ray and come out of retirement. Except this time, he's not out to rule the world. He's out to save it from the peril of the Sinister Brain!

Emperor Mollusk.

Not bad for a guy without a spine.

But what's a villain to do after he's done . . . everything. With no new ambitions, he's happy to pitch in and solve the energy crisis or repel alien invaders should the need arise, but if he had his way, he'd prefer to be left alone to explore the boundaries of dangerous science. Just as a hobby, of course.

Retirement isn't easy though. If the boredom doesn't get him, there's always the Venusians. Or the Saturnites. Or the Mercurials. Or . . . well, you get the idea. If that wasn't bad enough, there's also the assassins of a legendary death cult and an up-and-coming megalomaniac (as brilliant as he is bodiless) who have marked Emperor for their own nefarious purposes. But Mollusk isn't about to let the Earth slip out of his own tentacles and into the less capable clutches of another. So it's time to dust off the old death ray and come out of retirement. Except this time, he's not out to rule the world. He's out to save it from the peril of THE SINISTER BRAIN!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

Emperor Mollusk, ex-warlord of Earth, comes out of retirement to save the planet from the sinister brain's control.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316093521, 031609353X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,990,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible