Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain by…

Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain (edition 2012)

by A. Lee Martinez

1991559,063 (3.82)4
Member:Rand1956
Title:Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain
Authors:A. Lee Martinez
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**

Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez

This was kind of absurd and fun but in my opinion it should have been even more absurd-er. Anyone buying this book knows that it's supposed to be funny just from the title, but it really wasn't that funny. The author's humor reminds me a lot of my own humor when I write but there just wasn't enough of it. So it seemed like he/she took the book too seriously, much of the time it read like regular sci-fi but that wasn't what I wanted or expected. I wanted to laugh at a zany, ridiculous sci-fi romp.

Then there was time travel involved and I hate time travel so that didn't help. BUT it still gets 3 stars because I did enjoy it. ( )
  ragwaine | Nov 26, 2014 |
Emperor Mollusk is an evil genius, although he would probably dispute the evil part. Sure, he has conquered a world or two, forced the people of Earth to worship him through mind control, and maybe invented a few doomsday devices in his day. Does that make him evil? Mostly he was just bored, and particularly skilled at conquest, is that a crime?

Now Emperor Mollusk, retired ex-warlord of Terra, faces a new threat. A disembodied brain who is hell-bent on destroying him and his favorite planet. Mollusk isn't super excited about playing the hero, but hey, someone is trying to kill him, and he doesn't have much else to do, so why not?

I've read a couple of books by the author in the past, but this one was particularly hilarious. I loved the antics of Mollusk in particular, who may officially be one of my favorite book characters of all time. I devoured most of the book pretty quickly too, although it did bog down in the latter half as the plot began to feel a bit thin. Nevertheless, I happily read without care because, quite frankly, I didn't care about the plot so much as the dialogue.

If you are a fan of the likes of Christopher Moore and Terry Pratchet, you should really give A. Lee Martinez a try. Though I've only read 3 of this books now, I've loved all of them, and I will definitely be reading more of his work soon. ( )
  Ape | Sep 5, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Everyone knows that that the invertebrates of Neptune are the most intelligent minds in the galaxy. That??s how, years ago, a bored mollusk from Neptune was able to conquer the Earth and set himself up as Warlord. To subdue the planet he had to use a few nasty tricks such as doping the water supply with anti-aggression drugs, but now that he has all of humanity under his tentacle, Emperor Mollusk is actually a pretty swell guy and he has even developed a soft spot (or should I say ƒ??softer spotƒ?) for planet Earth, though heƒ??ll be quick to tell you that heƒ??s not reformed ƒ?? just retired. Nowadays, he spends most of his time tinkering in his laboratory and coming up with ways to solve Earthƒ??s numerous problems. He fixed the energy crisis long ago and so far heƒ??s been able to protect Earth from aliens from Mars, Venus, and Saturn. Pretty good for a slimy cephalopod that you could easily squash under the heel of your boot.

Unfortunately, most of Emperor Molluskƒ??s experiments on Earth tend to cause unexpected and dastardly consequences, and the emperor usually ends up needing to develop even more brilliant solutions to the problems he created. Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain is an account of the Emperorƒ??s various adventures as he attempts to save humans from all the disasters that would not have befallen them if the Emperor had never set his slippery tentacle on the planet in the first place. Disasters such as an island of radioactive dinosaurs, giant fireants, missing countries, an anti-time radio, and the rampaging brain of Madam Curie. He even has to deal with assassins from Atlantis, killer scorpions, a clone of himself, and the sinister brain who wants to challenge him for world domination.

Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain, A. Lee Martinezƒ??s newest novel, is a hilariously wacky story with a preposterous premise, impossible characters, and an absurd plot. Iƒ??m rather picky about humorous fantasy so Iƒ??m surprised that I enjoyed the non-stop comedy here, but Martinez has his pacing down and he knows exactly when to stop. I like Martinezƒ??s bizarre situations and droll sense of humor, and he balances all of it with a well-developed protagonist who we canƒ??t help but love, even though heƒ??s slimy (literally) and he keeps telling us heƒ??s an evil overlord.

Fans of Douglas Adamsƒ?? THE HITCHHIKERƒ??S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY shouldnƒ??t miss Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain. Let me highly recommend the audio version produced by Audible Frontiers and performed by actor Scott Aiello. This was the first time Iƒ??d heard Mr. Aiello (he is a new narrator) and I was extremely impressed with his performance ƒ?? he made the novel even funnier. He was absolutely perfect for this role and I look forward to hearing more from him in the future. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The ex-conqueror of Earth, super genius Emperor Mollusk, comes out of retirement to defend his helpless subjects from the threat of villain just as brilliant and squishy as himself. Fans of John Scalzi or Douglas Adams will appreciate the genre-lampooning humor of this story, with it’s character archetypes, deus ex machina tropes, and send-ups of classic 1950’s pulp SF monster rouge’s gallery. In a truly brilliant twist, the narrating first-person protagonist is the ultimate villain, strangely relatable as a bored guy who just wants to move on to the next great challenge in life. While the narrative structure gets to be a little repetitive- basically a series of location-hopping quests designed to introduce odder and odder settings and characters, but without meaningfully advancing the plot, I still appreciated every word if only for the fantastic dialog. And although the pacing did become a bit predictable, the action was quite fun, and includes something for everyone: Lizard men aliens, time-travel, rock men aliens, mutated dinosaurs, city-ravaging monsters and robots, Atlantis, history re-interpreted, and more. ( )
  SciFi-Kindle | Mar 19, 2014 |
This is the kind of book that will appeal to the kind of people who love "Girl Genius." It makes only token efforts to make sense outside its own context. The universe if full of amazingly diverse species, including at least one on each planet of our solar system. The ancient mystic kingdoms and underground/undersea empires are all there. And earth has been captured by an evil warlord from Neptune, who happens to be a giant mollusk who rides around in a robot mecha suit. Why not?

The plot heaps episode on episode, running from one crazy adventure to the next. Mollusk has become fond of the Terrans he rules, and bored by his life of luxury. He decides to retire, and his boredom is a thing of the past! An arrest warrant relating to a failed attempt to take over Venus, time-travelers from the future of Earth, crazed assassins - it's all here. Can Mollusk sort it all out?

Highly recommended entertainment. I'm hoping there's a sequel in the works somewhere.

I listened to the audiobook of this, which was very well done. Kudos to the reader, Scott Aiello. ( )
  teckelvik | Mar 15, 2014 |
To all the usual folks: Mom, Sally, Nik, Russell, the

DFWWW, my agent, my editor, Orbit Books, the

people who buy the books, Optimus Prime, and the

rest. You're still just as important as you ever were and

this is a lot easier because of you.

To Atomic Robo, for keeping my love of comic books

alive and well.

And to Victor Von Doom.
There's no sound in space, but my saucer cannons simulated a shriek with every blast.

Emperor Mollusk. Intergalactic Menace. Destroyer of Worlds. Conqueror of Other Worlds. Mad Genius. Ex-Warlord of Earth. Not bad for a guy without a spine. But what's a villain to do after he's done... everything.

With no new ambitions, he's happy to pitch in and solve the energy crisis or repel aliens invaders should the need arise, but if he had his way, he'd prefer to be left alone to explore the boundaries of dangerous science. Just as a hobby, of course. Retirement isn't easy though. If the boredom doesn't get him, there's always the Venusians. Or the Saturnites. Or the Mercurials. Or... well, you get the idea. If that wasn't bad enough, there's also the assassins of a legendary death cult and an up-and-coming megalomaniac (as brilliant as he is bodiless) who have marked Emperor for their own nefarious purposes.

But Mollusk isn't about to let the Earth slip out of his own tentacles and into the less capable clutches of another. So it's time to dust off the old death ray and come out of retirement. Except this time, he's not out to rule the world. He's out to save it from the peril of the Sinister Brain!

Emperor Mollusk.

Not bad for a guy without a spine.

But what's a villain to do after he's done . . . everything. With no new ambitions, he's happy to pitch in and solve the energy crisis or repel alien invaders should the need arise, but if he had his way, he'd prefer to be left alone to explore the boundaries of dangerous science. Just as a hobby, of course.

Retirement isn't easy though. If the boredom doesn't get him, there's always the Venusians. Or the Saturnites. Or the Mercurials. Or . . . well, you get the idea. If that wasn't bad enough, there's also the assassins of a legendary death cult and an up-and-coming megalomaniac (as brilliant as he is bodiless) who have marked Emperor for their own nefarious purposes. But Mollusk isn't about to let the Earth slip out of his own tentacles and into the less capable clutches of another. So it's time to dust off the old death ray and come out of retirement. Except this time, he's not out to rule the world. He's out to save it from the peril of THE SINISTER BRAIN!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:33 -0400)

Emperor Mollusk, ex-warlord of Earth, comes out of retirement to save the planet from the sinister brain's control.

60 wanted3 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316093521, 031609353X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,458,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible