Two Truths and a Lie by Sara Shepard

Two Truths and a Lie

by Sara Shepard

Thayer was never a threat in my eyes (because I've seen some of the show) but the mysterious return was pretty well written. I am getting bored of the constant circle that the books are going in.

Meet someone new (or find out something about someone). Assume they killed Sutton. Hate them. Try to prove they killed her. Find out they didn't.

**rolls eyes**

I love these books but in my opinion most of this book was just filler. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Thayer's back. The brother of one of Sutton's best friends disappeared, two months before Sutton's murder. leaving no one any clues as to where he might be.

Up until now he's been the one big unknown as Emma, Sutton's long-lost twin sister who has had to assume her identity, searches for her killer.

Emma has been able to work through Sutton's love life, tangled though it may have been, discovered what the Lying Game was - and is, found out some of the secrets Sutton and her friends were keeping, but she still doesn't know just how Thayer fits into it all. And Emma hasn't had a chance to find out.

Until now.

In the middle of the night, during a sleepover with her friends, Thayer appears in her bedroom - well, Sutton's bedroom.

In keeping with the style of the previous two Lying Game books - and the Pretty Little Liars books - Two Truths and a Lie is a three steps forward and two steps (if not two and three quarters) back book. You almost feel like you don't learn enough at the end . . . but you go into them knowing the whole mystery isn't going to be solved.

It's about the other knowledge that is gained - about the other characters, about the mystery as a whole - over the whole book that make any seemingly backward movement completely worth it. That and, of course, the fact that the drama in The Lying Game is oh so delicious. It's so almost over the top, but Emma being an outsider to it all keeps it somehow grounded.

There are times you want to shout at the characters to just talk to each other because it seems like that could solve so much, but then things happen that make you wonder if the person you obviously thought could be trusted, really can be, after all.

This series definitely keeps you guessing. While it doesn't seem to divulge a lot in each installment, we still learn a lot in the things that seem to just be little bits and pieces and always know more at the end - even if it seems we're back behind where we started in some ways.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
All signs point to Thayer in Two Truths and a Lie, the third installment in The Lying Game series. After Thayer's surprise "attack" and subsequent arrest, Emma tries to gather evidence against him to prove he killed Sutton. But did he? Or is it someone closer to Sutton who did the deed? Maybe her sister Laurel?

All dissenters beware! I actually like this series. Honestly, it isn't like Pretty Little Liars at all. It might actually be more simpler, albeit Shepard's thing with twins aside. I like how spirit Sutton knows absolutely nothing and the fragments she does get are meant to tease the audiences, to make us go full throttle in the wrong direction after the wrong person based on what we read.

I would love it if it turned out Laurel killed Sutton and knew all the time who Emma was. That would be so intense! But what is going on with Ethan? What is his story? What if he couldn't let go of losing his science scholarship and snapped? Then why save her during the snuff prank? Was it because he actually felt bad or he saw the great and powerful Sutton Mercer can be taken down?

I know in the next book all signs will point to Laurel. However, it won't make sense because who hit Thayer with the car? Laurel loves him and there was nothing to indicate from the flashback that the car was trying to hit Sutton and Thayer just got in the way. That is assuming that the same person who hit Thayer also killed Sutton. It could two separate incidents. Two separate people.

Damn you, Shepard, you've done it again! More questions and like one answer. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Seventeen-year-old Emma Paxton steps into the life of her long-lost twin Sutton to solve her murder, while Sutton looks on from her afterlife.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible