A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan…

A Red Herring Without Mustard

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (3)

Still a lot of fun and enjoyable, while being nothing too special. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Flavia, the precocious 11=year-old sleuth, feels she has to make amends to an old gypsy fortune teller when an accident burns down her tent at the nearby fete. Offering up the use of the Palings, a grove by the river on the family estate, which might not have been such a good idea when the gypsy reveals a past visit when she and her husband were thrown off the property when Flavia's mother died. When Flavia returns to see if the gypsy has settled in okay she finds her almost beaten to death it sets her off on another of her investigations. Her discoveries include secret passageways, old-time religion and, of course, a dead body. Can Flavia uncover the truth of the matter while also administering justice to her sisters who are still behaving beastly to her?

This 3rd instalment of the series continues to enchant. While Flavia may not be a lovable character, her exploits continue to provide more than sufficient entertainment for the reader tp enjoy. A little more family history is revealed and the current state of the family fortune, or more likely the lack thereof, finally hits home with Flavia but told with cute reminiscences with the family silver. Most of the regular characters make an appearance at some stage as well as a few more local residents to meet. With an emphasis more on field work than in the laboratory I found this book to be a quicker read than the previous two and that might just make it my favourite of the series so far. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Aug 21, 2018 |
I am enjoying this series and this is no exception. Flavia is an interesting character and smarter than me in chemistry, so I'm learning a lot. Although these stories are set around 1950, they seem timeless. ( )
  eliorajoy | Aug 15, 2018 |
I listened to this because I enjoyed "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" so much. I just love that Flavia. I enjoyed Flavia's growth and the deepening of her appreciation of & relationship with Dogger. I'll definitely read another Flavia de Luce Mystery in the future. Wait! I just noticed this is number 3. I must have missed one. Oh! I am vexed.
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
3.5 stars. As much as I enjoy Flavia, it is painful to read about her relationship with her sisters (here I go again with my antipathy for dysfunctional families!). This speaks to the author's credit, as he has captured the agony of being the youngest child very well! Okay, "agony" might be pushing it. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, DianeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, SimonCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a cup of ale without a wench, why, alas, 'tis like an egg without salt or a red herring without mustard.
- A Looking Glasse, for London and Englande, by Thomas Lodge and Robert Greene (1592)
John ja Janet Harlandille
"You frighten me," the Gypsy said.
It was Ophelia, the older of my two sisters. Feely was seventeen, and ranked herself right up there with the Blessed Virgin Mary, although the chief difference between them, I'm willing to bet, is that the BVM doesn't spend twenty-three hours a day peering at herself in a looking glass while picking away at her face with a pair of tweezers.

Eleven-year-old detective Flavia de Luce sorts through clues, trying to solve various mysteries involving a missing child, a fortune-teller, and a dead body found in Flavia's own backyard.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385342322, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Louise Penny on A Red Herring Without Mustard

Louise Penny is the bestselling author of Bury Your Dead,The Brutal Telling, Still Life and A Fatal Grace.

Alan Bradley’s third Flavia de Luce mystery, A Red Herring Without Mustard, exceeds in every way, if that’s even possible, his first two. Flavia uses her trademark cunning in scheming to get even with her older sisters who lay in wait to torment her. She saves a gypsy’s life, befriends Porcelain, the gypsy’s granddaughter, solves a puzzling and bizarre murder involving an ancient non-conformist cult, collects clues the police have missed and fearlessly ventures into danger. She is always feisty, always smart. I adore her. And while it is wonderful to read her as an adult I wish I’d had Flavia as a role model while growing up. It’s cool to be smart. It’s cool to be Flavia! And it’s great to be among her legion of fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Flavia's discovery of an old Gypsy woman who's been attacked in her wagon sends the girl off on an investigation that will reveal more of Buckshaw's secrets as well as new information about Harriet, the mother Flavia never knew.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible