Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

6,202645985 (4.1)1 / 452

English (639)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (644)
Words can not describe how much I have come to love this book and its characters. I can't wait to start reading the sequel. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
This was an interesting take on Cinderella. I like the sci-fi aspect of it; cyborgs and aliens and magic powers. Cinder is an android who is abused by her stepmother and stepsister and is forced to work all day to provide for them. She has a sister Peonie, who actually is nice to her, but she contracts the deadly plague and is sent away. Cinder's stepmother sends her to a facility where they test cyborgs for potential cures and discoveries are made about who Cinder really is.

I thought this book was fairly predictable, but still fun. The pacing was good and there weren't any slow parts. I did like getting Prince Kai's point of view occasionally since it added more political information and we learned about the Lunar people. The audiobook narrator did a great job and kept me engaged in listening. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Like everybody said it before me, its good :) ( )
  futrzak13 | Apr 14, 2019 |
love, love, LOVED this book. For a modern twist on Cinderella and a bit of science fiction thrown in, it's a good time. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
Hace tiempo tenía muchas gracias de leer algo de ciencia ficción ligera; no creo estar lista aún para Asimov, Bradbury o Philip K. Dick, así que cuando escuché acerca de estos libros, de inmediato llamaron mi atención.

Tenía mis dudas, claro: un re-telling de un cuento de hadas ya taaaan gastado como Cenicienta me hacía querer reconsiderar. Pero descubrí que en realidad era una genialidad. Nunca me había imaginado a una princesa trillada como una adolescente cyborg en una China futurista que es azotada por una pandemia incurable. Me gustó ese concepto y las descripciones tan lujosas que hace la autora de ese mundo post-apocalíptico añadieron bastante a la experiencia de sumergirse en la historia.

Creo que Marissa Meyer hizo un buen trabajo con este libro, nos mostró una heroína conocida que no es una mártir, no espera ser rescatada, no espera a su "amor verdadero" ni sueña con que su suerte cambie mágicamente. Y eso es como una bocanada de aire fresco. Eso es razón suficiente para despertar el interés en aquellos que busquen leer una historia diferente, entretenida pero que aún así, despierte recuerdos de su infancia. ( )
  LenoreDiKaat | Mar 10, 2019 |

Meyer, MarissaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,767,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible