dismiss

Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

7,243703869 (4.08)1 / 467
As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.

English (695)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (700)
I LOVE IT - really not that much more to say. I just didn't want it to end and when it did i actually walked around with it for the rest of the day. Just to keep the story with me I guess.

A cinderella cyberborg (part human part machine) named Cinder? And a mechanic? I love her. She's perfect. Reminds me of Mercy Thompson (by Patricia Briggs), but that might be because she's also a mechanic. I seem to have a thing for them.

When I first heard of this book I wasn't that optimistic because it sounded very sci-fi and all robots and no emotions, but it's kind of sci-fi with robots WITH emotions! Or programming faults that is. Iko is the best. She's so cute for a robot.

I don't think this story could have been told much better. Absolutely the best cinderella version I have seen/read/heard ever. It's so different. Cyborgs, robots, aliens, a plague and so much more. Extra point for being in Asia (New Beijing) and having a different kind of cinderella for once. And even if there are a lot of changes from the usual fairytale, you can still recognize the same elements. It still has a touch of magic.

That said I have to add that I saw the plot twist long before it came. Like a few chapters in or something. It was pretty obvious, and it ruined it a little. However I'm still looking forward to reading the next book, Scarlet. Can't wait to get back into this world. The book was just brilliant, kick-ass and adorable. I can't get over it. And I've fallen head first for the prince. Never thought I would, but I did.
  aquapages | Jul 8, 2020 |
Cinder is a 16 year old cyborg living in New Beijing where things are bad. There is a deadly sickness called letumosis striking around the city. Cyborgs are being drafted to help find a cure. The evil, powerful lunar queen from the moon will stop at nothing in her plan to take over the earth. The emperor is dying. And in the midst of all this, Cinder has been invited to the ball by handsome Prince Kai.

This was a very unique retelling of the Cinderella story. I thought it was a fast-paced, fun read with a unique premise and culturally distinct setting. I loved the way Meyer added so much dimension to such a familiar tale by infusing so many diverse ideas into it. While I'm not in the target reader demographic I wasn't disappointed. I already have the next book in the series and can't wait to see if all the characters manage to find their happily ever after. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
This was a fabulous re-imagining of the classic Cinderella tale with cyborgs, androids, and mad queens. Yes this is seriously a sentence I just wrote, and yes this is still a true statement made by me.

The main character of Cinder we find is a young teenage cyborg that is entrusted to her guardian (AKA Evil Stepmother) Adri. Cinder has two stepsisters, Peony and Pearl that she loves (Peony) and dislikes (Pearl) in equal measure.

Cinder works as a mechanic in order to support her family and tries her best to not cause problems with her stepmother in order to not be turned over for testing for a cure to a plague that is killing millions of people in New Beijing. We find out that Cinder does not recall what incident caused her to be turned into a cyborg, but she wishes that she was human and could go to the local ball. After running into Prince Kai, Cinder finds herself thinking of him and feeling as if parts of her are wishing for things that she thinks are outside of the realm of possibility (like kissing, falling in love, etc).

The other characters in this story are just as fleshed out as Cinder. We find out some of what Prince Kai is trying to do to prevent war between New Beijing and the Lunar kingdom. Prince Kai did evoke a lot of sympathy for me while I was reading since he is trying to do what is right (keep his people safe) while also trying to do what he can to find a way to overthrow the reigning queen of the Lunar people.

Even Cinder's stepmother Adri was a pretty well developed character though it would have been easy to dismiss her as simply evil. Honestly I liked this facet of the evil stepmother and it reminded me a bit of how Cate Blanchett chose to play the role in the live-action Cinderella that debuted last month.

The plot is set up like the classic Cinderella tale with a twist. We still have Cinder being treated like a slave and wishing to go to a ball. However, instead of a pumpkin being turned into a carriage, we get an old orange car (pumpkin color) Cinder gets running again. So there are enough things in the story that are going to feel familiar to readers, but sill have enough originality to make it fresh.

I was getting shades of Sailor Moon up in this book as I was reading since Queen Levana in this book had me thinking of Queen Beryl and the Negaverse and Prince Kai was Prince Darien from the Sailor Moon cartoon series that I watched as kid. It was cool for me to go look up some information on this book and find that was something that Ms. Meyers was trying to convey in this story as well. The Lunar people sound straight up crazy, and I can't wait to read the next book to find out more about them and their strange powers.

The writing and the pacing I thought were great overall, though I will admit the initial pacing of the story felt off. There were also a lot of things being introduced that did not get explained enough for me until key points of the novel which was a bit hard to wade through at first. There is a lot of world building in this novel and I don't know if Ms. Meyers pulled it off as well as it could have been if there had been a little bit more exposition included. I don't know if a prologue would have worked, or have an omniscient story-teller telling the tale of Cinder that could have filled in the blanks for readers.

The setting of New Beijing, China sounded hot, miserable, and full of people and things. I could picture it pretty firmly in my mind's eye and I thought that Ms. Meyers did a great job of making me feel as if I was right there watching events as they unfolded.

I am pretty excited to start reading Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) and cannot wait to see what happens next to Cinder, Prince Kai, and the other characters we were introduced to in this book.
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
More like a 3.5. Cinder is great character. I just wish she had used her glamour sooner. She pretty smart she should have figured it out. Also, she kinda just believes everything she's told...it's a bit odd. The ending sucked. I dislike when books don't end...even in a series. ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
This book was a lot of fun. The world building won’t hold up under close scrutiny, but it was fun. The story was a bit wobbly from time to time, but IT WAS FUN! I really don’t know what else to say. It doesn’t really have a lot of depth, but I don’t think that was the intention to begin with. It’s a book that aims to entertain, not to make you ponder life’s mysteries. And it succeeds in doing just that. It’s an easy-to-read piece of escapism. Period.

As you’re probably aware of already, this is a retelling of Cinderella, but with cyborgs. (Sounds fun, eh!?) It introduces us to Cinder; a teenager, a cyborg and a mechanic in New Beijing sometime in an unspecified future. She repairs an android for the prince. The prince who may or may not be about to marry the lunar queen. And there’s also a plague. And cyborgs are treated as slaves. (Yeah, regarding that last part, the way the message of this story is delivered is arguably not the best. But it’s at least better than some other YA-stories I’ve encountered. *cough* Divergent *cough*)

The setting is very enjoyable and quite Blade Runner-esque. The characters are varied and colorful, if perhaps a bit clichéd at times (the evil queen is evil, doh!). And some parts of the plot is very predictable (Oh, the evil queen supposedly murdered her niece, you say? And they found parts of her in debris left after a fire? But rumour has it she’s still alive? Who could it be?! Certainly not an orphan girl with some missing body parts, oh no! ). But then again, it’s a fairy tale. I don’t really have the heart to be mad at it. Overall the story is fast paced and engaging (did I mention fun?) and actually quite cinematic. I could easily imagine this as an enjoyable movie adaptation. (Much more than that other series I mentioned… *gag*)

(No offense to anyone who liked the Divergent series. Suffice to say, it wasn’t my cup of tea. Lunar Chronicles, on the other hand, is.)
  LadyDarbanville | Jun 28, 2020 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,919,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible