Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopia, fairy tale retelling

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (519)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (522)
Blade Runner punk meets the Brothers Grimm in this science fiction epic. Prepare to have all your beloved fairy tales desired in this fresh retelling. At times it is almost easy to forget that this is the scullery maid who lost her glass slipper. Instead Cinder is a powerful Cyborg mechanic whose biggest bully is her own lack of self worth. She learns how to overcome her circumstances and to carry others along with her in this fight against the big baddiew. Be prepared to immediately purchase the sequell and join forces with the coolest Cinderella you'll ever meet. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
My local library puts this book in its Teen Fiction section, so apparently it’s Young Adult fiction, and the romance that develops in story has a bit of that teen feel, although not too much. Given the book’s obviously intentional derivation from the classic Cinderella story, it is surprisingly convincing as a future sci-fi/fantasy suspense tale, with a reasonably believable romance between its young protagonist and the son of the emperor of most of Asia.

Meyer puts a lot more into the story than what is in the fairy tale: androids and cyborgs, a mysterious and deadly plague, and a scheming, psy-gifted queen of the moon. She fleshes out her future world in a satisfactory way, and develops the romance over a plausible series of encounters rather than a single flash of love-at-first-sight. The overall effect is charming enough that I actually bought the notion that the prince of New Beijing (a city of millions) might put on a ball and invite the entire local population – and expect that a grease-smudged teenage mechanic he met at the local market would somehow manage to attend.

The story is basically a lot of fun, reasonably well-written, and generally well done. This book, the first in a series, ends on rather a cliff-hanger, and it appears that one would have to read three more books to get to the final happy-ever-after conclusion. Given how enjoyable a read this one was, that might not be too bad. Clearly the story is going to diverge increasingly from its fairy tale inspiration along the way. ( )
  Carol_W | Aug 25, 2016 |
Cinder the Cyborg Cinderella... ...That's a mouthful : ) So I finally jumped on the The Lunar bandwagon. I'm glad I did. I love the futuristic spin on the old classic Cinderella. It's creative, it's different & a lot more fun I think. I listened to the audio version & the narration was also fantastic!

There were several times though that I wanted to pull my hair out. For a cyborg with unique computerized capabilities, damn Cinder could be slow on the uptake! There were several occasions where it took her forever to grasp what was going on. It was excruciating!! Plus I wanted to slap her step-mother and step-sister! Cinder just let them walk all over her which was even more painful to take! I can't even count how many times I yelled at her through my CD player to just say something or do something, anything please! The tide did start turning for her at the very, very end, thank god, so hopefully in the second book she'll finally grow a backbone and some self-esteem because I can't take much more of that. They say a good book should take you through a range of emotions though and this one definitely did that!

I can't wait to start Scarlet. I was hoping to listen to the audiobook of it too but it's been checked out at the library. : ( I don't know how much longer I can wait. I may just have to go ahead and read the actual book.
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Better than average YA fairy tale retelling. But not exactly the second coming that some people seem to make it out to be.

The reviews are a little hilarious. I'm a little confused also at the antipathy some people have to the mixed names - emigration is nothing new, I'm a kiwi who lives in Sweden, people have been living in places where their names stick out as foreign for centuries, I can't imagine that changes much a few hundred years into the future.

I'm also a little bewildered by the level of adoration this book has received. It's certainly better than average, but it was a fast and easy read (I read it in a couple of hours in fact), and it's flawed in some ways. The "plot twist" is pretty much telegraphed from the beginning (even leaving aside the obvious plot points stemming from it being a fairy tale retelling).

But it's fairly smart, the world building is well done and the idea is good and well executed, there's no insta-puppy-love, and the way is quite clear for the other books. I will probably read the rest of the series though. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
Cinder is just a mechanic...a CYBORG mechanic, that is. Considered scum of the earth by not just her stepfamily but the rest of the inhabitants of New Bejing and the Commonwealth, Cinder is good for little more than fixing damaged portscreens and buggy androids. Until Prince Kai, heir the the Commonwealth's throne, turns up asking her to restore his own personal broken android.

I was a big fan of the Sisters' Grimm growing up and all other forms of fairy tale retellings. I even jumped on the Once Upon A Time bandwagon for a short three seasons (before it got weird with the whole Peter Pan an Frozen thing...). Needless to say, I love a good retelling because of the humor that's always present. Specifically with Cinder, I laughed at the parallelism between the sci-fi characters and the original story (the pumpkin carriage, the ball, the glass slipper, the fairy godmother....). I laughed the chapters silly.

Another thing I liked: Cinder was a character I actually cared about. She wasn't ditzy or hot headed or cold or moody like so many other teen female protagonists in the YA universe. She wasn't like Katniss or Triss who longed for the male protagonists to touch their skin every other paragraph. Cinder is a mechanic. She fixes androids. Now stop telling her how dreamy the prince is and help her rob a junkyard for useable car parts. She kept a level head through the story and thought logically through her problems and emotions, which made her a thousand times more realistic.

Another thing I found immensely relaxing was the amount of language in the book. It was so rare to find a swear word, it was almost non existent. Usually teen books have a few here and there, but this book was almost 100% free of cursing (almost, which makes me wonder why she put the few curse words in there to begin with).

Only things I didn't like? It was a shade too predictable, the plot twists really serving more as confirmation to what I already suspected than shocks that sent me reeling. The other is the cover. Gah! I can't be seen reading a book that looks so girly! And besides, the cover is completely different from the book--she never wore red heels and her foot wasn't skin grafted!

Either way, I enjoyed the book and recommend to anyone considering the read.

Things To Watch Out For:
Romance: Two people kiss; character jokes she had a sex change in an operation, but she was being sarcastic
Language: "politics be D"; "to H with--"; Da**it-2; fictional expletives such as "stars" and "for heaven's sake"
Violence: death of multiple characters; a plague infects the world without a cure; violent stories of the Lunar queen torturing her kingdom, such as chopping off her seamstress's feet so she'd have nothing better to do that sit and sew dresses; characters taken for experimentation, usually resulting in death
Drugs: wine at the ball
Nudity: an android asks if the prince's personal droid has ever seen him in the nude, but is quickly silenced by her owner
Other: characters lie regularly to each other; old fashioned dancing ( )
  Jenneth | Aug 14, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,480,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible