Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopia, fairy tale retelling

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige (Anonymous user)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)

English (562)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (566)
Excellent 1st novel; good characters; was predictable but was still fun; what happens next!!?? ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
I loved this futuristic retelling of the classic story of Cinderella. I instantly connected to the witty and grounded Cinder, who had no illusions as to her place in the world and her house. You felt for her with the connection she shared with her little sister and Kiko the droid. I would recommend this book to any student that likes science fiction with a hint of romance. ( )
  TiffaneyF. | Jul 11, 2017 |
Wasnt bad, but was very predictable. if you want a mystery this is not a good one. otherwise interesting retelling of a classic. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Jul 6, 2017 |
It’s honestly been a while since I’ve gone through four books in two weeks, especially books from the same author and same series at that.
I tend to be that person that switches between books, authors and series all the time, reading what fits my mood at that moment. But not with The Lunar Chronicles, oh no! I just flew right through cause it’s written so fluently. I never got bored with long sentences, boring descriptions.
The way Marissa Meyer writes really drags me completely into the story and that’s what a good writer should be able to do.

Maybe the story sounds predictable, since it’s based on well-known fairytales, it never really felt that way to me. Yes, you know what major events will probably take place, yet that doesn’t mean the story gets predictable. The circumstances of those events are thought-out so well that I never got the feeling it was “just another retelling”.

What I liked best about all the books was the presence of friendship, loyalty and love that thrived, even when the characters' situation was strained and they could hardly see a way out. Hopelessness, faith, endurance and strength were shown beautifully which made it so much easier and inviting to get lost in everything Marissa Meyer created.

Even though it starts at an easy pace, I was immediately intrigued by the world – even though galaxy might be a better word - Marissa Meyer created in The Lunar Chronicles. I’ve never been a huge fan of anything scifi-related, but for some reason I fell completely in love with this galaxy and everything in it. The cyborgs, the androids…
Every single character had its charms in one way or another and it all contributed to a story that I will definitely reread in the future.

Honestly, if you always loved fairytales and like things with a twist, I absolutely recommend you to read these books!

Personally, I can’t wait to read Fairest & Stars Above, which I’ve ordered last week and are hopefully arriving soon. I just don’t want to say goodbye to The Lunar Chronicles yet.

For this, I'd absolutely give the complete series 5 stars - out of five, of course, since I can't seem to find any negative to The Lunar Chronicles!

Kathy

I paid full-price for this book and this is my honest review for which I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions are fully my own ( )
  booksandmunches | Jun 30, 2017 |
Setting: 4/5

I really liked getting a glimpse into our world in the future. What I liked most about how Marissa dealt with the setting was the fact that she didn't ever spend pages upon pages world-building. That is seriously my least-favorite thing! Instead she scattered information throughout the novel giving us just what we need before or when we needed it. I think that is an ideal way to develop a world.

As for the actual locations in New Bejing. I thought just enough information was provided for me to really picture each location. She doesn't spend a ton of time describing every last detail but the details that are provided help you to fill in the rest.

Characters: 4.5/5

I suppose I should get my one complaint out of the way first. I really wish we saw more of Peony and Pearl. I felt like they were hardly developed and that bummed me out, especially the lack of Pearl. It's clear by the end that she isn't all she appears to be, but that's it! Cinder spends so much time with her and I just want to get more insight into who she is.

I loved the relationship between Kai and Cinder. It never once felt rushed or ridiculous. I think that's part of the reason why I love this book so much. They are clearly friends, who happen to have a mutual attraction. I also enjoyed each of them on their own. We don't know everything about them but as with the setting, we know enough and continue to learn more.

I loved Cinder's android side-kick! She added so comical relief with her fantastic personality! Basically, I want one too!

Plot: 5/5

The plot was extremely predictable. However, it's a retelling so I'm not sure that's such a terrible thing. With that said there are enough deviations and unique ideas that make the story that much more exciting. I was never once bored with this book and I enjoyed the journey every step of the way. . . even when some crummy things happened to get in Cinder's way.

Overall: 4.5/5

With all of the above considered I would say that this story should be rounded up to a 5. Meyer does a fantastic job making the story of Cinderella fresh and exciting. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible