Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopia, fairy tale retelling

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (415)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (418)
AMAZING. Check it out, it is so good. ( )
  alyssa213 | Jul 24, 2015 |
This Scifi/fantasy retelling of Cinderella is kind of interesting. Cinderella as a cyborg, overworked as a mechanic by her step-mom who dotes on Cinderella's two step-sisters. I finished it quickly but I was not very happy with the depth of the concept involved in the retelling. There is a world wide epidemic threatening and politics involving a lunar queen with a ball and the Prince. Perhaps if the story were told in half the time it would be even better. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Have you ever read a book blurb that sounded so ridiculous you promised yourself you would never pick up the book? That book was Cinder to me (I mean, cyborg Cinderella? Seriously?). Breaking that promise was the best thing I could've done, because I assure you, this was fantastic.

I admit, my five star rating isn't based off the quality of the book as much as it is based on feelings. Despite the flaws present (excessive predictability, remaining questions, world-building, and so on), this book managed to tap into my every emotion. Whether it was the newness of the world, the perfect execution of the romance, the space-earth orientated plot, my love for retellings, or my childish heart, I found myself laughing, screaming, crying, face-palming, jumping, etc.. My heart was 100% invested in every single page, and any book that manages that, is, to me, a downright amazing book.

Oh, and let it be known that I now have a new fictitious OTP. I'M ROOTING FOR YOU, CINDER & KAI!
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
There is so much to this book, yet it's a loosely based Cinderella story. Cinder is a human/cyborg mechanic who lives in New Beijing during the time of a deadly plague. Part of the story is her family. In Cinderella style, she lives with her stepmother and two stepsisters (although one of the sisters is nice). She is treated like dirt and considered a second class citizen because she is a cyborg. She also meets and falls in love with the Prince. An additional twist is that a lunar civilization threatens civilization. This is where Cinderella takes a backseat. I don't want to give too much away but Cinder turns out to be quite a hero and there's more to come in the next book of the series! ( )
  flackm | Jul 21, 2015 |
3.5 stars.
I think I like the novellas in between the main books more. This was a good time-pass read, but not something I would re-read. The political and technological aspects didn't ring very true to me. A future allied world which still has British monarchy and a united Eastern Commonwealth? Hmm.. seems pretty unlikely a scenario even after the 4th World War. Then 'Netscreens' that long in to the future? Even more unlikely at the professed time.

The touch of a not quite the Cinderella story was interesting. The mushy teenagey stuff reminded me of Twilight. However the Prince's (although charming) lack of confident on his diplomatic capabilities and the heroine's (although clumsy and unsure) self-determination and technical capability were definitely much better to read than Stephanie Meyer series!

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this not so much of a heavy read sci-fi fantasy. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

769 wanted6 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,432,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible