Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopia, fairy tale retelling

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (392)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (395)
Book one of the Lunar chronicles is a future world spin on the Cinderella story. Lots of food for thought with the issues of technological advancement and an effective mixed-genre read.

ARlevel: 5.8 MG+
Lexile: 790 ( )
  liblb | Feb 21, 2015 |
Loved this book creatively based on the fairytale, Cinderella! Loved the way the author makes this book appealing to middle-grade, young adult and adult readers! If you love fairy tales, fantasy with a futuristic flair, this book and the others in the Lunar Chronicles series is for you! ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
Clearly a spin on Cinderella, Marissa Meyer's Cinder is a futuristic novel woven with fairy tales, science fiction, and politics. An immensely interesting read, Cinder is an absorbing introduction to the Lunar Chronicles. I was fascinated by the concept of cyborgs, androids, humans, and Lunars- all these different races of peoples living together... not so much in harmony though. I loved that Meyer didn't make that out to be a fairy tale- the hatred and disgust between races of humans is not far from the judgmental reality of our own society... I think it was a nice added touch to give the story more depth and open opportunity for very authentic conversation about judging others. The theme of Cinderella and the nasty stepmother / stepsister drama is there but it isn't overly done, which often happens in these new fairy tale twists. As someone who has loved Grimm's for ages, I was very pleased that Meyer just touched on some main points in the fairy tale instead of trying to rewrite the story... instead she wove the overall themes in with her own storyline. Characters were well developed and the creation of the world was also done well. Both aspects of the novel made for an engaging and fast paced read. Meyer created this whole new world and did a fantastic job describing it and bringing in minute details without killing the imagination of the reader.
As a whole, this book was consuming and thrilling. Mysteries at every turn, the reader is thrust into a world where nothing is quite as it seems. As I navigated my way through this story I found that I was cheering on Cinder and screaming at Levana, while I was torn between reactions for Kai. Any way you look at it though, I was totally invested in this book and the characters and their futures.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great new YA series to get in on. It is definitely for those looking for a new science fiction thriller with some real world scenarios. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
I am having a hard time getting into this book. I need to step away from it for a while and come back to it.
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |
Cinder: The Lunar Chronicles
“Turns out you’re immune to letumosis and only Lunars are immune to it”. Cinder is a cyborg living in futuristic New Beijing, Tokyo. When in the Junkyard (with her trusty side kick, Iko and sister Peony) Peony catches the deadly disease Lemtuosis and everyone thinks Cinder passed it on to her. Now Cinder must journey to save her sister and keep her Lunar under cover.
Cinder is an energetic mechanic who really isn’t what she think she is. She’s half lunar too and rumor has it she may be Princess Selene. Iko, her trusty sidekidck was and old android who was threw out into the Junkyard and luckily Cinder saved her. Peony, the nice stepsister was always there to defend Cinder from their evil mother. Prince Aiko, the charming prince is looking for Princess Selene under cover when his dad died from the deadly disease. When he bums into Cinder; he falls in love for the best.
As I was reading this book, I started to wonder why I should even be reading a book like this. Then it struck me; this book kept me on my toes all the time. It was a really good book about hope. I think this book is exceptionally good for people who like realistic fantasy. Especially people who loves almost manga books. Boys and girls can read this series. I think the theme of this book is a hopeful love story, where the main character has to overcome a deadly battle.
Marissa Meyer has outdone it in this series of books. It’s just that this particular book makes me happy. I think Marissa is an excellent author by far. Even though she only has 3 books, her books are better than Dork Diaries series and The Monica series. ( )
  Liyahliyahflawless | Feb 6, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,652,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible