Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopia, fairy tale retelling

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (367)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (370)
This is an obvious case of how having very high expectations of something sucks.
Cinder is a fairytale retelling of Cinderella, only in the future, and Cinder doesn't go to the ball in a pumpkin, but in a car from our own days. And she's a cyborg. And part of her is a robot. And there's no godmother. But the mean stepsisters and stepmother are in the scene aswell, followed by the awesome prince Kai who is fascinated by Cinder for like - absolutely no reason.
I loved the setting this was put in. The main plot is without a doubt, a breathe of fresh hair and originality. This was probably the book I was most excited to read - like - ever. Because it touches a subject I, as a child, and even now adore. Fairytales. The Disney princesses were a huge part of me growing up, and when I hear about a story set in the future with robot Cinderella, I must read it. The beggining didn't motivate me one bit. If I wasn't so eager to actually give it a go I would have probably dropped the book. I started getting into it after a while. I got used to the writing style and managed to follow the narrative, which sometimes would surprise me but at others bore me. And I must admit, throughout the whole book, you just know what will happen. YOU KNOW.
Cinder wasn't much of a likeable character, not to me at least. Her attitude regecting everything around her was getting on my nerves. Don't escape Cinder. Stand up for yourself. Don't constantly weep (although she couldn't, I know that's all she would have done). I believe in you. You have potential...
There were good aspects, of course. So much creativity was put into the story, it's just a shame it maybe wasn't handled the best way. Nevertheless, I can't wait to order the following book in the series, Scarlett. This series has much more to give and I can't wait to take a look at all the new adventures! ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Cute book. Just what I needed right now. Just plain fun. Cinder is a cyborg who is under her stepmother's control. As luck would have it she agrees to fix a android for the prince and the story begins.
The only thing is I want to know what happens next! lol. I usually don't move on in a series but I may have to on this one. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Evil Queen Levana of Luna threatens the plague ravaged Eastern Commonwealth with war if Crown Prince Kai does not accede to her demands of marriage. Only the lowly cyborg mechanic Cinder may be able to save Kai and all of Earth in this dramatic series launch that mixes fairytales with space opera. ( )
  ktoonen | Sep 4, 2014 |
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time”

In New Beijing, humans, androids and cyborgs live amongst each other in a world ravaged by a plague called letumosis. Cinder became a cyborg at an early age after surviving a car crash that killed both her parents and now works as a mechanic to earn money for her self-absorbed and hateful adoptive mother. When her sister becomes sick and Cinder is blamed, her mother volunteers her for a medical testing group for cyborgs where the survival rate is nonexistent. She inevitably stumbles upon information about her past that she had been unable to remember and it manages to turn her entire life upside down.

“A sci-fi retelling of Cinderella as a cyborg“. That blurb had me skeptical for years, avoiding this book and insisting it wasn’t going to be for me. And then I read Glitches, the short story prequel to Cinder and it convinced me to finally pick it up. Boy am I glad I did. In retrospect, it still astounds me that a book with so many various genres still managed to work as well as it did. I mean it’s sci-fi, a retelling, sorta steampunk-ish, and even dystopian. AND Cinderella is a total badass and even a mechanic. It shouldn’t work in theory but it definitely does. The world was brilliantly drawn and I loved just how well the Cinderella story was incorporated.

Cinder’s perseverance made her an extremely likable heroine and the romance between her and Prince Kai was completely charming (plus no instalove here folks!). Her horrendous stepmother was par for the course for the original Cinderella tale but good grief, that woman was the very definition of awful. In Cinderella, the wicked stepmother made Cinderella stay home from the ball and clean the house. Oh woe is her. But in Cinder, her wicked adoptive mother sold her to a medical testing group where not a single person has survived. Now THAT is wicked. Cinderella didn’t know how good she had it. Even though everyone knows the story of Cinderella, there were enough alterations done to this story to keep it suspenseful. The ending will leave you yearning for the next book, Scarlet, with the author tackling another well-known fairytale: Little Red Riding Hood. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Sep 3, 2014 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,668,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible