Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:dystopia, fairy tale retelling

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Recently added byRhea1023, noneofusis, private library, ktoonen, Zinnie, AbigailUB4, MoranaMora, forsakenfates, kwalther
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (360)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (363)
Good book. Kind of predictable but I like the world Meyer created. I'll probably read the next one in the series. ( )
  forsakenfates | Aug 25, 2014 |
In this fascinating retelling of Cinderella, somewhere in the future the Earthens are ruled by an emperor who is dealing with a plague and negotiating with the Lunar queen, who has been threatening war for years. Now, it seems imminent as the emperor himself is dying of the plague. Cinder is a mechanic who just happens to be a cyborg - her mechanical parts make her a second class citizen and ward to Adri, a rather nasty piece of work whose husband died leaving her with Cinder, an orphan whose parents died when she was eleven. Then Prince Kai himself (who, it must be mentioned, is the celebrity heartthrob) brings a robot for Cinder to repair, and he seems most anxious to have it fixed quickly.

This is the first in the series and if I were going to find fault with the book, it would be for the way it sets some things up and then leaves you hanging, waiting for the next book (why why why must there be cliffhangers?). I really enjoyed the characters, especially Cinder, and really want to see where it goes next. While the fairy tale is recognizable in places (the evil stepmother, the two stepsisters), it's also reimagined in delightfully surprising ways that fit the feel of this story, which stands well on its own two feet. I found some of the twists predictable, but I still relished the reveal when it came. I'm looking forward to seeing where Scarlet takes the story. ( )
  bell7 | Aug 25, 2014 |
This isn't your grandmother's Cinderella...

In Meyer's re-telling of the story (which makes up the first book in her Lunar Chronicles series), Linh Cinder is a cyborg mechanic living in New Beijing. The usual Cinderella elements are present, but with a twist: a wicked (yet more complex) stepmother, two stepsisters (one who is a brat, the other who is sweet); a witty droid companion; a handsome young Prince who must take over as Emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth; and a ball. Throw in a deadly plague that is ravishing the Earthen people, a sociopathic Lunar queen who can manipulate everyone around her, a greasy ballgown, and revelations about people's true identities, and you have Cinder, a really fun, if often predictable, book.

The next book in the series (Scarlet) continues the events of this book, but with the addition of, you guessed it, Little Red Riding Hood. I'm interested to continue the story, because sometimes you just need a fun, genre-twisting book series to binge-read. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Aug 21, 2014 |
I reviewed Cinder back in June of 2012. It was one of my first book reviews ever. I had posted it on Goodreads, but did not have a blog until shortly thereafter.

Cinder, the best mechanic in New Beijing, was working at the market when the Prince stopped in to have his android repaired. Even though she was a cyborg, she felt flustered and lost control of her brain's net connection. Her human part made it hard to focus. As she studied the android, they agreed to meet the next market day to check on the status of the repair.

Adri, Cinder's "stepmother", hated her. Adri's husband had made them guardians of Cinder, an 11-year old cyborg. Adri owned her and the money she earned. When His Imperial Majesty Emperor Rikan came down with the plaque, one of her "stepsisters" implied she ought to volunteer for plague testing. A royal research team had come up with the cyborg draft, choosing a number every morning from the cyborgs of the Eastern Commonwealth, using them to test for an antidote. Cyborg's were looked at as less than human. When Peony, the only human friend she had, came down with the plague, Adri had had enough. She volunteered Cinder for the draft. After all, she had no feelings, right? How was she going to survive? No one survives plague testing. Would she meet the prince again? What do you think?

Cinder didn't remember anything before 11 years old . When she got to the research center, Dr. Erland began filling in some of the blanks.

Even though I knew where this was going, I could hardly wait to get there. I didn't think I was going to be disappointed and I surely wasn't. I thought it was a unique twist on a known storyline and great fun to read. Numerous times I found myself laughing out loud. I have a love/hate relationship with it being a series. I hate not knowing the end, even though I know it. Know what I mean, lol? I am eagerly awaiting the next book. ( )
  sherry69 | Aug 21, 2014 |
I loved this one. I loved this one so much I read it in two sittings. I devoured this book. There was nothing I didn't love. I adored Cinder and Prince Kai is possibly one of the most swoon worthy heroes I've come across in a long time. The sciences parts were well done without being over complicated. The world building was fascinating. I even loved step sister Peony.

Such an interesting and original way to retell a classic fairytale. It had everything I look for in a book. Can't wait for the rest of the series. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,274,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible