Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

4,6555601,019 (4.11)1 / 418
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige (Anonymous user)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)

English (555)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (559)
I was pleasantly surprised when I was done with this book! I'm not the one for Sci-fiand such when it comes to my reading material! I have to say... I LOVE the cyborg Cinderella. At first I was skeptic since I'm a sucker for the original story and not a fan of the genre, but it worked out just fine after all and I enjoyed the story! The personalties of the characters in the book are amazing, especially one android(she so cute)! For me this was a quick read, I was done in under one day! Sooooo, all of you who are in the same boat as me when it comes down to sci-fi, you should give this book a go,I am sure you will find amusement in it! ( )
  Wasabiishot | May 9, 2017 |
The first installment in Marissa Meyer's series The Lunar Chronicles is a steampunk Cinderella retelling complete with cyborgs, evil Moon dwellers, and a futuristic Beijing. Cinder is a cyborg, hated by society and a stepmother who resents her existence, and struggles to hide what she is as she works as a mechanic in New Beijing. However, the incurable plague that ravages Earth and a chance encounter with the charming Prince Kai will change Cinder's life in ways she can't begin to imagine. For little does she know, her mysterious origins could hold the key to ending the tyrannical rule of the manipulative Lunar Queen Levana. While I found the "twist" at the end to be entirely predictable, Cinder was a unique, satisfying take on a classic fairy tale. Steampunk is not my usual cup of tea, but the compelling setting of New Beijing and a tough, peculiar heroine made for an infectious read. Pumped for the next phase of her story and new characters. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Would be great to compare and contrast the old folktale of Cinderella with this new futuristic version. ( )
  maddiesullivan223 | May 4, 2017 |

What an interesting take on one of my favourite fairy tales! I'm not a YA fan, but even though Cinder fits the age, the story doesn't have any of those annoying/boring YA moments. Proof not much could ruin a Cinderella story.

Everything you might expect is there (well, most of it): from the horrible stepmother and hard life to an evil queen, and if you look at it that way, there isn't anything special about it. The basics alone are in the I like it category anyway. At least, as far as I am concerned.

However, the setting (both time and place), the problems of this world (an incurable disease is killing people on Earth) and this particular Cinderella are very, very different from what you might expect. So, even if you don't get a proper ending, Cinderella theme and this extraordinary world are an awesome combination and what has been done with it is worth at least a half a star more.

I hate cliffhangers, but even I must admit the one that ends this book is pretty good. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
Because this was next to Stephanie Meyer's books and because the cover design was similar I had a lot of assumptions about what the book would be like. Then at book swap I talked with a girl who loved it and corrected me on my mistaken impressions. Cyborg-princess Cinderella. Well, that's a horse of a different colour.

So I found a copy and started and finished it the same day, which is a fun thing to do with a book, and while it was certainly better than what I expected, and while I liked a lot of the things Meyer did with the story, it ultimately isn't my taste. However, I'd totally recommend it to pre-teen and teenage girls who are looking for fantasy/sci-fi/fairy tale stuff because I think it's a really well-done book for it's genre. I just would've needed a whole lot more to get me wanting to read the rest. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,442,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible