Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

2,1543433,020 (4.11)1 / 285
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Recently added byprivate library, jdewing, fyrefly98, Smiler69, QurkyGirl22, boredwombat, Debbie.Schuler, Pigletto
2012 (28) 2013 (35) ARC (23) audiobook (18) Cinderella (118) cyborgs (139) dystopia (82) dystopian (42) ebook (25) fairy tale (57) fairy tale retelling (31) fairy tales (124) fantasy (117) fiction (100) future (22) futuristic (19) Kindle (19) Lunar Chronicles (36) plague (31) read (26) read in 2012 (24) retelling (43) romance (56) science fiction (291) series (54) steampunk (28) teen (45) to-read (194) YA (131) young adult (162)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (340)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (343)
Cinder is a good character, but she was weak and impractical at times that I thought she should have been strong. I was constantly asking the book "Why, Cinder?" because she did not do things that I think she should have done. But other than that, I admire her compassion and loyalty to her friends.

The "plot twist" at the end was really predictable, but I am excited to read the rest of this series because it seems like there will be more action.

My Goodreads: fantasticalcatherine ( )
  lifeshiddengems | Jul 14, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
Loved this! I had been reluctant to read this book, it sounded like a Cinderella retelling that was just a little too out there. However, Marissa Meyer managed to catch me from the first chapter, describing a society fractured by discrimination, disease, and fear. While relying on the basics of the fairy tale, Cinder nevertheless has a completely fresh feeling, as through the dust has been removed from an old story and a new, but very different, version emerges. Great reading - I can't wait to delve into the next in this series! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jul 11, 2014 |
I am benefiting from the trend of fairy tale retellings, which is a type of story I especially enjoy. Ten to fifteen years ago, the offerings were available but required searching; now, I just have to turn around in a book store to find a new book of that genre. Cinder is part of this proliferation, but it is a delightfully original tale in that it merges the traditional fairy tale with a scifi setting. Cinder is a cyborg with one metal cybernetic foot. Awesome. She lives in New Beijing, a city in an unspecified point in the future. Earth has achieved peace in the Earthen Union, but faces a threat from the Lunars, a race of people who live on the moon and can mentally manipulate others. The Earthens are at a further disadvantage because they have been ravaged by an incurable plague, letumosis, for over ten years. The economy is ruined and the population has been decimated. Queen Levana, the ruthless empress of the Lunars, is using these tragedies as leverage in her attempt to marry the emperor of the Commonwealth.

With the plethora of reviews for such a popular book, I have no need to write a detailed synopsis. Actually, I'm sure I don't need to add my review to the pile at all, except for the compulsive need I have to review each book I read. For my own recollection, then, I include this brief summary. Cinder has no memories before her stepfather brought her to New Beijing. After his death, her stepmother blamed Cinder and began to treat her like a servant. At her job in the marketplace, where she repairs androids and such, she meets Prince Kai, who wishes her to fix his android. She is attracted to him, but the hurricane of events that follow don't allow her time to develop her crush. Her stepsister is taken away with the plague, her stepmom sends her off for the cyborg draft for letumosis testing, the doctor discovers she's immune, and Prince Kai invites her to the ball. Cinder refuses despite her feelings, and is glad she did when she learns that she is not only a cyborg, but also Lunar. When she intercepts a message meant for Kai, though, she decides to risk her life to attend the ball, in order to warn Kai of Levana's true intentions.

The adaptations Meyer made to the fairy tale are quite original, and I found them highly entertaining. She didn't just remake the original (of course, fairy tales themselves have so many variations that saying the original is misleading), she instead created a fully realized world that incorporated elements from the Cinderella story. New Beijing is a futuristic society that is strange and compelling - although I do have to say, it felt much more like the western world with some Asian touches overlaid than an Asian country that has been westernized. Still, I wasn't too bothered by this, because the atmosphere of a futuristic society is more important and was well done. The author creates a strong backdrop for her characters, with political intrigue, spaceships, a scary plague threatening everyone's survival, and a variety of strange creatures from Lunars to cyborgs.

While I am discussing characters, allow me a moment to state that I loved them all, even those I disliked. They were well-rounded, believable people. The two main characters receive the most attention, of course. Cinderella is a cyborg, who can't remember her past, has one metal leg and foot and a metal hand, and has a computer in her brain. She is a mechanic and works to earn money for her stepmother and two stepsisters; but she is also sarcastic, stubborn, and intelligent. Cinder is a complex character, a strong heroine who is certainly not going to wait for Prince Charming to save her, and has a mysterious background that is intriguing. Prince Kai also rises above his Prince Charming background. He is a warm and genuine boy, who is drawn to Cinder for her originality and authenticity. Kai is totally unprepared to replace his father as emperor, and desperately wants to find a cure for letumosis and save his dad. The attraction between the two is adorable, and even though I know how this story will eventually end, the novel throws enough obstacles in the path of their relationship to greatly raise the suspense. The story does not resolve any of the major plot points, so Cinder and Kai's story is not yet settled. Their adventure will continue in the next book of the series, which will also introduce another big fairy tale couple. I will have to read all four books in the series to reach a happily ever after, but after reading such an appealing first novel, I am committed to the entire ride. ( )
  nmhale | Jul 10, 2014 |
Much like the premise of Stephanie Meyers' The Host, I didn' think I'd get into this one. It took a while to get going, but by page 100, I could not put it down! Totally recommend. ( )
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

Current discussions

Cinder - Marissa Meyer in Fairy Tales Retold

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible