Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

4,4405601,105 (4.1)1 / 416
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (550)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (554)

What an interesting take on one of my favourite fairy tales! I'm not a YA fan, but even though Cinder fits the age, the story doesn't have any of those annoying/boring YA moments. Proof not much could ruin a Cinderella story.

Everything you might expect is there (well, most of it): from the horrible stepmother and hard life to an evil queen, and if you look at it that way, there isn't anything special about it. The basics alone are in the I like it category anyway. At least, as far as I am concerned.

However, the setting (both time and place), the problems of this world (an incurable disease is killing people on Earth) and this particular Cinderella are very, very different from what you might expect. So, even if you don't get a proper ending, Cinderella theme and this extraordinary world are an awesome combination and what has been done with it is worth at least a half a star more.

I hate cliffhangers, but even I must admit the one that ends this book is pretty good. ( )
  Aneris | Feb 15, 2017 |
I am at a loss of words with this book. Where do I start? That it’s a fantastic somewhat retelling of Cinderella with a futuristic twist that includes cyborgs, other planetary beings, and a couple that you want together so freaking bad you can feel the sparks fly but when they’re so close they take two steps back and you fall back in your seat in complete frustration...yeah it’s that kind of book.

It didn’t take me too long to finish this one. It’s very engaging, loved the setting and Cinder as a character. She’s no Mary Sue, nor a damsel in distress. She’s just someone who was dedicated to taking care Peony and doing her job. We definitely love main characters like these!

The writing in the book was excellent, the characters are extremely well done enough that their personalities bring out the feelings from the reader. (My God, I hated Adri and Pearl so much I almost was spitting venom whenever they appeared in the novel). I loved Cinder and Kai. The chemistry is there, both of them are extremely likable, and you just KNOW they’re meant to be.

The plot is also well written. A plague is introduced in this novel, with otherworldly beings from the Moon also part of the story line with a ruler that makes all other dictators hang their heads in shame. The plot thickens with your usual villainous Evil Queen but I’m sure she’s got more up her sleeve as the series progresses.

YA lovers will absolutely love this book. It’s such a great read, it won’t take long to finish. Great start to the series, can’t wait to read more of this! ( )
  sensitivemuse | Feb 13, 2017 |
I was supposed to be studying but stars I could not put this book down!! Although I saw the end coming, I couldn't contain my excitement when my speculation was confirmed. This series is going to be freaking EPIC!! I can't wait to read the second book Scarlet but I'll have to wait until next year because I bought 7 books this month and I'm broke... Story of my life... ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
I didn't expect to like this story as much as I did. I appreciate how the main character isn't dopey or lovestruck. She's strong and has a lot of heart. I got into the whole sci-fi element also. I think I expected this to resemble Cinderella more, but the similarities aren't to do with the actual storyline that much. It kind of gave me a Star Wars -ish feel. I'll continue for sure. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,512,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible