Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

3,4324771,572 (4.09)1 / 387
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (472)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (475)
Let me preface this review by saying that the original Disney Cinderella is my LEAST favorite princess.

That being said- I absolutely LOVE how Meyer completely transformed the delicate, animal talking, meek, and mild Cinderella into a tomboy, mechanic, grease-wearing cyborg; one who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, to talk back, thrown an opinion in your face kind of girl.

To even compare this to the original Cinderella doesn't even give it justice. This was beautifully written to literally destroy your perception of a fairy tale. Meyer wove such a tale, that you couldn't help to continue reading. While getting to know all the beloved characters, if you pay close enough attention, you can see hints of other fairy tales weaved into the book; ironically (I'm assuming) lining up the remainder of her books.

I'm absolutely excited to continue this series. Thank you Marissa Meyer for finally doing a fairy tale justice. ( )
  mspoet569 | Feb 9, 2016 |
I'm a sucker for fairy tales reimagined. And this sci-fi version of cinderella was brilliantly original. ( )
  Yoh | Feb 8, 2016 |
Not fabulous writing; to be honest, I speed-read large sections and didn't feel like I was missing anything. But I like the idea of a sci-fi fairy tale adaptation and the fact that the series features so many girl action heroes. Based on this first book I don't think I'll be in agony waiting for the fourth to come out (but I do plan to finish the series).
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Originally posted here

A beautiful sci-fi twist on the classic fairytale.

Cinder resides in New Beijing, a place existing in a futuristic Earth, there has been four world wars and the whole planet is unified. Cinder is a cyborg, a human who has prosthetic high tech robotic parts, which makes her firmly a second class citizen. Just like Cinderella, Cinder has a stepmother and 2 stepsisters - a prince and a kingdom is also involved.

There are so many layers to this story, from the Letumosis plague, to the Lunars who reside on the moon, and an evil queen. The story just draws the reader in and it is just fascinating. I am left with so many questions after finishing this book, and in some ways I am glad there is still a lot of mystery. I want to pick up Scarlet almost immediately to find the answers.

Although New Beijing is really cool, I wish there were more descriptions of the appearance of the city and of the culture residing there. The culture and city is quite ethnically ambiguous, I think more could have been done to really flesh out the world building. I also guessed very quickly the major reveal at the end of the book, and I really would have preferred to have been shocked by the revelation.

As I finished the book though, those things did not really matter as I was so engrossed in the world of Cinder. I can't wait to continue the series as I am particularly motivated to learn more of the mysterious Lunars and the history of the colonisation of the moon.

Highly recommended. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Great dystopian take on Cinderella. Strong, positive heroine. Loved it!! ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,173,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible