Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

4,0355231,264 (4.1)1 / 403
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (520)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (523)
This is a great first book in a series! From the first page, really the first few sentences, I was hooked. I wasn't expecting too much really going in, but was very surprised at how much I love this book! It flows so well, the author has a way of making the story read so simply yet so compelling. She paces the story quickly yet somehow immerses the reader into her world. The characters are great and I love that Cinder is a strong female character. There is romance, yet it is not the main driving force to Cinder's life and story. There is so much more here, and its great. The end leaves you wanting to dive into the next book, Scarlet. And I am so happy that I didn't start this series until all four were out because now I can read them all. :-) ( )
  CynthiaMR | Aug 31, 2016 |
Blade Runner punk meets the Brothers Grimm in this science fiction epic. Prepare to have all your beloved fairy tales desired in this fresh retelling. At times it is almost easy to forget that this is the scullery maid who lost her glass slipper. Instead Cinder is a powerful Cyborg mechanic whose biggest bully is her own lack of self worth. She learns how to overcome her circumstances and to carry others along with her in this fight against the big baddiew. Be prepared to immediately purchase the sequell and join forces with the coolest Cinderella you'll ever meet. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
My local library puts this book in its Teen Fiction section, so apparently it’s Young Adult fiction, and the romance that develops in story has a bit of that teen feel, although not too much. Given the book’s obviously intentional derivation from the classic Cinderella story, it is surprisingly convincing as a future sci-fi/fantasy suspense tale, with a reasonably believable romance between its young protagonist and the son of the emperor of most of Asia.

Meyer puts a lot more into the story than what is in the fairy tale: androids and cyborgs, a mysterious and deadly plague, and a scheming, psy-gifted queen of the moon. She fleshes out her future world in a satisfactory way, and develops the romance over a plausible series of encounters rather than a single flash of love-at-first-sight. The overall effect is charming enough that I actually bought the notion that the prince of New Beijing (a city of millions) might put on a ball and invite the entire local population – and expect that a grease-smudged teenage mechanic he met at the local market would somehow manage to attend.

The story is basically a lot of fun, reasonably well-written, and generally well done. This book, the first in a series, ends on rather a cliff-hanger, and it appears that one would have to read three more books to get to the final happy-ever-after conclusion. Given how enjoyable a read this one was, that might not be too bad. Clearly the story is going to diverge increasingly from its fairy tale inspiration along the way. ( )
  Carol_W | Aug 25, 2016 |
Cinder the Cyborg Cinderella... ...That's a mouthful : ) So I finally jumped on the The Lunar bandwagon. I'm glad I did. I love the futuristic spin on the old classic Cinderella. It's creative, it's different & a lot more fun I think. I listened to the audio version & the narration was also fantastic!

There were several times though that I wanted to pull my hair out. For a cyborg with unique computerized capabilities, damn Cinder could be slow on the uptake! There were several occasions where it took her forever to grasp what was going on. It was excruciating!! Plus I wanted to slap her step-mother and step-sister! Cinder just let them walk all over her which was even more painful to take! I can't even count how many times I yelled at her through my CD player to just say something or do something, anything please! The tide did start turning for her at the very, very end, thank god, so hopefully in the second book she'll finally grow a backbone and some self-esteem because I can't take much more of that. They say a good book should take you through a range of emotions though and this one definitely did that!

I can't wait to start Scarlet. I was hoping to listen to the audiobook of it too but it's been checked out at the library. : ( I don't know how much longer I can wait. I may just have to go ahead and read the actual book.
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Better than average YA fairy tale retelling. But not exactly the second coming that some people seem to make it out to be.

The reviews are a little hilarious. I'm a little confused also at the antipathy some people have to the mixed names - emigration is nothing new, I'm a kiwi who lives in Sweden, people have been living in places where their names stick out as foreign for centuries, I can't imagine that changes much a few hundred years into the future.

I'm also a little bewildered by the level of adoration this book has received. It's certainly better than average, but it was a fast and easy read (I read it in a couple of hours in fact), and it's flawed in some ways. The "plot twist" is pretty much telegraphed from the beginning (even leaving aside the obvious plot points stemming from it being a fairy tale retelling).

But it's fairly smart, the world building is well done and the idea is good and well executed, there's no insta-puppy-love, and the way is quite clear for the other books. I will probably read the rest of the series though. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,511,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible