Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

3,8665071,332 (4.1)1 / 399
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (504)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (507)
"Im sure ill feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on"

Cinder takes me back to those times in life when you used to watch fairy tale movies and not have a clue whats coming for you in life. Marissa Meyer did a bad-ass resemblance to Cinderella without overwhelming us with the cheesy ending. OFCOURSE, this debut novel is a monstrous of a cliff-hanger. But I mean who doesn't love a tease. This is book one out of 5 in the lunar chronicles and I can't begin to spill out to you guys how much I LOVE the fact that it has Sci-fi all up in it. If you can snuggle in bed to Enchanted (on netflix) wait till you get a grip of this.

The story is fit into futuristic New Beijing (So into the future they are apparently passed world war 5) The protoganist (main character) is a Cyborg which is half human half robot; who also has mechanical arms and legs. - see how the Cinderella demeanor portrays here. She is a talented mechanic who has an evil stepmother with two step sisters. Cinder as a youngin' had a really bad accident and unfortunately can't recall any of it. Primarily in the book, she meets the very expected prince Kai who asks her to fix a privy android. Since cyborgs are treated as second hand citizens in this town, she hides her selfhood from Kai; Not that it matters because as all smart women do Cinder plays hard to get and of course that drives kai mad.

With every good book there is a quandary we are all willingly hoping for. Throughout this novel a plague is taking place, who not only assassinates the king who leaves prince kai in charge but Cinders amiable step sister. Hell broke loose at cinders home and her already evil step mother turns into her own self but on a couple dosages of steroid. Since cinder was with her step sister when she got infected by the virus, Adri (step mother) compelled cinder as research for the plague. Followed by a risky injection Cinder is completely immune to it. As Dr. Erland continues with his research he finds out something about Cinder that will change her life forever.

Something I truly enjoyed about this version of Cinderella is that we actually get to know the prince just as good as we do of Cinder. Like I mentioned, Prince Kai's father passes away and leaves Kai as emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth. With every good book there is an evil twist to it and in this one is Queen Levana *cough queen le-bitch cough* who lives in the moon colony. The lunars have the ability the bioelectricity of people surrounding them and make them see what they want them to see. *gets chills * if that isn't freaky well then.. There has always been pressure to make an alliance because the only way to fall through is if prince kai marries Queen Levana. Only way to avoid this is if he marries somebody else first along those higher authorities. His hope is to find princess Selene who has been lost for years since she was taken to earth in secret, where she was protected by transforming into cyborg.

~ In the end there was a ball and lets just say all bad things don't really come to an end here. Things get really spicy and I just rather you find out for yourself.

Couple things I fond for in this book are/is:

The politics
zero dragging of the plot
clear image of the characters and world
the emotions (which btw cinder is incapable of showing)
advanced mechanics
cinders personality and the fact that she can literally google anything on the spot
queen levana and her damn evil self.
Iko hes so damn cute. (cinders friend) I picture him like wall-e btw
prince kai and how humble he is set out to be
Hope you all truly consider in picking up this novel with the rest of them. Waiting on my birthday to pick up Scarlet which entails little red riding hood. CANT WAIT ( )
  Etherealbooking | Jun 27, 2016 |
I got pretty sucked in to this book; so much so that it ended being a pretty interesting all-night read. The person that rec'd it said that you know the basic plot line but the interesting bit is how they're going to get there. I'd definitely agree, as that's what had me so into it. It's pretty good for a YA and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Eh. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
4.5 stars.

Very interesting book. I would have given it five stars if it hadn't been somewhat predictable. The plot twists would have been more surprising and great if they hadn't been obvious. Other than this, it was an awesome book.

Loger review soon. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
2016 Reading Challenge #01: A book based on a fairy tale.

Había leído tantas cosas buenas de esta serie que el único motivo por el cual no la había comenzado es porque estaba esperando que saliera [b:Winter|13206900|Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)|Marissa Meyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1447171461s/13206900.jpg|18390887] para poder hacer el binge read. Tan segura estaba de que me encantaría.

Lamentablemente, Cinder tiene un gran defecto: padece del "síndrome del libro del medio". ¿Saben a lo que me refiero? Leemos el primer libro en una trilogía, lo amamos. No podemos esperar leer la continuación y cuando finalmente sale... nos damos cuenta que es puro relleno. El desarrollo de los personajes no existe, la evolución de la trama no existe. De hecho, no pasa nada de nada y el libro solo vio la luz para que el autor -y la editorial- puedan ganar más dinero.

Pues algo así, pero peor porque este es el primer libro. Esta era la oportunidad para presentarnos el world-building, para desarrollar a los personajes, para hacernos querer leer los siguientes. En cambio lo que tenemos es una introducción de 390 paginas, con la promesa de una serie que mejora a medida que avanza...

Te lo agradezco, pero no. Te lo agradezco, mira, Marissa, pero no. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,870,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible