Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

4,2525401,167 (4.1)1 / 407
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (537)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  English (540)
The arc for Cinder was sitting on my bookcase for a long while. A friend lent it to me and promised me that I'd enjoy it, but in the back of my mind, I wanted to wait until all the books were released before I delved into the story. I didn't want to be kept waiting and, if perchance the narrative degraded with each new release, at least, I'd be spared the pain.

I'm a sucker for fairytales and fairytales retelling. I haven't seen a lot of great retelling, but I think Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles has taken a place in my top 3 fairytale retelling stories.

Cinder - following the Cinderella storyline - is a futuristic, post-apocalyptic story, set in New Beijing. There is a prince, a ball, the evil stepmother and wicked stepsister, the dress and pumpkin carriage, but not always in the ways you would expect. The story dragged me in from the first page and kept me reading until the very end. It was fast-paced, layered and setup the rest of the series wonderfully.

However, it wasn't without its faults. I didn't particularly like the quick romance and Kai seemed a little two dimensional at times - I appreciated her trying to give us insight into Kai's thoughts, but I thought Cinder's appeared to be more complicated and provided a richer background than Kai. Though, to be fair, Prince Charming doesn't necessarily jump out of the pages at you. Also, there was the issue with the "pumpkin". I wouldn't have minded if that was left out entirely, it didn't seem to fit for some reason, and it never showed up again!

Yet, those minor faults aside, I was tripping over myself trying to download Scarlet!

iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
In this twist of the story Cinderella who is a mechanical genius and meets a young Prince who she must hid her identity from since she is not seen as a higher up person in society. She still faces the evils of an evil step mother, and sister however it is set in the future of Beijing.
  ryleemay | Dec 1, 2016 |
After a long research project on a depressing subject, wanted something light, fun, well-done, different from what I would normally read. Librarian in my local fantastic public library, recommended this. I was skeptical, then pleasantly surprised. Fun read, well done, enjoyed. Terrific "interpretation" of that old, old tale. ( )
  McHenrysPlace | Nov 15, 2016 |
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would:) ( )
  pixiegenne | Nov 11, 2016 |
Not a huge sci fi fan but... This did keep my attention and keep me guessing. Even if i did guess the plot twist halfway through the book... Still a cute read. Will def read the rest of the series! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible