Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by…

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

4,1085271,226 (4.1)1 / 403
Member:Silver
Title:Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, fairy tales, dystopia, young adult

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (522)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (525)
I got pretty sucked in to this book; so much so that it ended being a pretty interesting all-night read. The person that rec'd it said that you know the basic plot line but the interesting bit is how they're going to get there. I'd definitely agree, as that's what had me so into it. It's pretty good for a YA and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
There so many writers out there writing good books. There are so many writers out there writing great books. But there are few writers out there writing great book with amazing ideas and a beautiful writing style. Those writers are really rare. I always wonder how their brain function, from where do they get their ideas and how they put them in a beautifully written book!

This was the easiest book I've read in 2016 and I finished it in less than 12hrs. I've never done that before and now I can't help myself but reach out for book 2 and start reading it. I know I should give my mind and eyes some time to rest but I don't think I'll be able to. I'm starting Scarlet after I finish writing this review.

"You're even more painful to look at than she is" Oh really Kai? That was the harshest sentence in the whole book. I couldn't believe my eyes when I've read it. I mean how could he say THAT to her, after all she's done to save him from that lunatic Lunar Queen Levana .... *angryface*

Basically, it's the retelling story of Cinderella but in a very different way. Cinder is an adopted Cyborg who has been brought to this family to take care of her. After the father dies, her stepmother keeps her in the house but without any love or affection towards her. She has 2 step sisters Peony and Pearl. Pearl is awful but Peony is nice.

Cinder is the best mechanic in New Beijing who fixes anything. One day Prince Kai comes to her to help him with his android and she does. Not knowing that this android device has the story of her life. This android has the secret that has been hidden from her all of her life.

The characters were all great. Hated Pearl and Queen Levana from the bottom of my heart, I could feel anger and frustration growing inside me as I turn the pages of this book. I loved Peony and felt really sad for what happened to her. Loved Cinder, her character was good. But Kai's character was a bit annoying and lacked some depth, maybe in book 2 we'll get more of him and his character.

Read this series, don't miss it. ( )
  books.paper.mania | Sep 16, 2016 |
This is a great first book in a series! From the first page, really the first few sentences, I was hooked. I wasn't expecting too much really going in, but was very surprised at how much I love this book! It flows so well, the author has a way of making the story read so simply yet so compelling. She paces the story quickly yet somehow immerses the reader into her world. The characters are great and I love that Cinder is a strong female character. There is romance, yet it is not the main driving force to Cinder's life and story. There is so much more here, and its great. The end leaves you wanting to dive into the next book, Scarlet. And I am so happy that I didn't start this series until all four were out because now I can read them all. :-) ( )
  CynthiaMR | Aug 31, 2016 |
Blade Runner punk meets the Brothers Grimm in this science fiction epic. Prepare to have all your beloved fairy tales desired in this fresh retelling. At times it is almost easy to forget that this is the scullery maid who lost her glass slipper. Instead Cinder is a powerful Cyborg mechanic whose biggest bully is her own lack of self worth. She learns how to overcome her circumstances and to carry others along with her in this fight against the big baddiew. Be prepared to immediately purchase the sequell and join forces with the coolest Cinderella you'll ever meet. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
My local library puts this book in its Teen Fiction section, so apparently it’s Young Adult fiction, and the romance that develops in story has a bit of that teen feel, although not too much. Given the book’s obviously intentional derivation from the classic Cinderella story, it is surprisingly convincing as a future sci-fi/fantasy suspense tale, with a reasonably believable romance between its young protagonist and the son of the emperor of most of Asia.

Meyer puts a lot more into the story than what is in the fairy tale: androids and cyborgs, a mysterious and deadly plague, and a scheming, psy-gifted queen of the moon. She fleshes out her future world in a satisfactory way, and develops the romance over a plausible series of encounters rather than a single flash of love-at-first-sight. The overall effect is charming enough that I actually bought the notion that the prince of New Beijing (a city of millions) might put on a ball and invite the entire local population – and expect that a grease-smudged teenage mechanic he met at the local market would somehow manage to attend.

The story is basically a lot of fun, reasonably well-written, and generally well done. This book, the first in a series, ends on rather a cliff-hanger, and it appears that one would have to read three more books to get to the final happy-ever-after conclusion. Given how enjoyable a read this one was, that might not be too bad. Clearly the story is going to diverge increasingly from its fairy tale inspiration along the way. ( )
  Carol_W | Aug 25, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,102,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible