Cinder (Lunar Chronicles (Quality)) by…

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles (Quality)) (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

1,893None3,608 (4.11)1 / 248
Member:wisemetis
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles (Quality))
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read, Your eBook Library
Tags:science fiction, young adult, fairy tales, cinderella, cyborg

Cinder by Marissa Meyer (2012)

2012 (27) 2013 (34) androids (15) ARC (23) audiobook (16) Cinderella (101) cyborgs (117) dystopia (67) dystopian (36) ebook (22) fairy tale (46) fairy tales (109) fairy tales retold (36) fantasy (94) fiction (86) future (19) futuristic (17) Lunar Chronicles (31) plague (30) read (21) read in 2012 (23) retelling (41) romance (50) science fiction (260) series (44) steampunk (24) teen (35) to-read (153) YA (115) young adult (142)

English (316)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (319)
If you watched my video this is one of my book review picks I choose for myself. Cinder: Book One of the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I was very intrigued by this series and it seems to be on every book shelf so I decided to dig in and give it a go. This is a "retelling" of the story Cinderella set in a different world and with unique characters. The story is not a whole lot like the original and I really enjoyed that because this world is VERY fascinating. Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She is a "slave" or servant and works for money to run her family household. She has to really hide her identity because many are not so accepting of cyborgs. When her sister contracts a deadly disease she is forced to help sacrifice her self in the name of research for a cure. Little do they know she is actually immune to the illness. I don't want to tell to much because this book is rather straight forward. I really enjoyed it and in fact already have the next two books in the series to read. I suggest to anyone really, easy read, it is a "Young adult" but I always seem to really enjoy those!

My rating is a solid ☆★★★★. ( )
  cewtypye | Apr 12, 2014 |
Most of the books I purchase end up donated to the library after I’ve read them. But, I do have a selection of books that I’ve held on to for my hypothetical, future children. Cinder by Marissa Meyer is now a part of that selection. It is such an imaginative fairy tale re-telling. I mean, Cinderella is a cyborg. What’s not to like? Plus, the world and characters Meyer creates are rich and vivid. Cinder is the type of book that makes me truly excited to read, which seems more and more like a feat these days. If you’ve not already read the book, go out and buy it now, and read it as soon as you get home. Better yet, see if your mom/dad/sibling/significant other/neighbor/pastor will give you a ride to the store so you can start reading it during the ride home.

The next book in the series, is Scarlet, and the book introduces us to another fairytale inspired character. With a name like Scarlet, I bet you can guess who it is. Needless to say, I’m very excited for the new release, and I want it to be in my possession. Like now, please. ( )
  books_n_tea | Apr 1, 2014 |
I really liked this spin on the Cinderella tale. While I thought the book was predictable it was a delightful read. I thought it was an entertaining read and was very well paced. ( )
  poetryfreak38 | Mar 21, 2014 |
Interesting, unique, great pacing. I really enjoyed it from start to end.

Full review on my blog www.the-book-tower.blogspot.co.uk ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
A clever retelling of Cinderella, where the heroine is a cyborg teen compelled to serve her "stepmother" and "stepsisters" after the mysterious death of both her parents in the car crash she only survived by being bionically rebuilt. Meyers' novel incorporates the standard motifs of the tale in some witty and thoughtful ways: the story begins, for example, with Cinder installing a new(er) and improved high-tech foot at the end of her own leg...a foot her stepmother later confiscates as a way to keep her from getting to the ball.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this; though I'm a sucker for fairy-tale retellings, the premise of this one had put me off enough to keep it moving further down my "to read" pile. Adding to the complexity of _Cinder_ are the larger social issues at work in the postapocalyptic world Meyer has built: there's a deadly virus taking out huge numbers of people across the globe, and the leaders of the Earth's reorganized nations are anxious that they may have to go to war with the Lunars, whose Queen seems determined to rule Earth as well as the moon.

Some of the plot developments are fairly predictable, and as always, I was disappointed that the book--as the first in a series--doesn't really "end," but just resolves things temporarily. I'll probably read the others in the series, but I'm getting very weary of series books that can't stand on their own. Even if the author knows the book is just the first in a trilogy or tetralogy, each installment should be more than just a link to the next. _Cinder_ is definitely more than that, but still...is it too much to ask for some freestanding YA fantasy novels? ( )
  rvhatha | Mar 16, 2014 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible