No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (405)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (408)
Was dang good!! I see what all the hype is about!

Only thing-- I guessed the ending pretty much from the start. It didnt make it any less enjoyable to read, though!! I can't wait to read Scarlet...so maybe I won't? ;)

I recommend this book to fans of Ya, fantasy, sci-fi, and dystopian-ish stories! It's a very unique and perfectly blended genre-book. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Cinder was an epic retelling. It has to be the best fairytale retelling I've ever read. It's original and compelling. One of the best books I've read this year.

Cinder isn't your regular 16 year-old girl. She's the Commonwealth's most talented mechanic. She's also a Cyborg. In a post-apocalyptic world set in New Beijing, we see how the world is being consummed by an uncurable virus, and the threat of a war between Earth and the Lunars. The Lunars are the frightening residents that live in the moon, that could very much shatter the world's balance. As the story progresses, Cinder meets Prince Kai, the boy with the charming smile and breathtaking eyes. As Cinder's world collapses all around her, she must search deep within herself to realize that she could hold the key to help set the world back on its tracks.

When I first started this book, I was afraid. I saw all the great rating and reviews about it, that I didn't want to be dissapointed. I honestly started this book with high expectatons. And I'm glad to saw that I was not dissapointed. This isn't your regular retelling. It wasn't even similar to the original Cinderella story. There's no damsel in distress, and no need for a glass slipper. This story had everything I like to see in a YA book. Marissa Meyer did well.

I loved the main character from the very beginning. Cinder is a sarcastic, witty and all around charming cyborg girl. She's an amazing character. I also really loved Kai. Kai never failed to make me smile like an idiot and laugh at his "rude" behavior. I loved how the love story progressed between the two of them. It was subtle, so we could fall in love with Kai the same way Cinder did. Their relationship never seemed forced, which is something that is hard to do.

I also really loved the setting. This story was set in the future, and you'd think that everything would be incredibly unbelievable, but it wasn't. I could easily imagine our world like that in the future, hopefully without all the conflict, though .

Although I saw that plot twist coming from a mile away, I still enjoyed when it happened. I really think it'll be interesting to see developed in the next books.

Overall, Cinder was a captivating story that easily drew you in. It is definitely something you should move up on your TBR list!

5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Im in love with marissa meyer. Thats all I can say about it. Cinderella has always been my favorite and when I came across this one I totally had to read it. and its the best choice I couldve done. ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jun 23, 2015 |

Advertencia: Esta es una reseña con muchos gifs, mi humilde intento de hacer honor y tratar de estar a la altura a las reseñas que solemos ver en reseñas YA/NA o alguna otra reseña de entusiasmo (y además porque estoy zombie y no tengo ganas de analizar). SOBREDOSIS DE GIFS PARA TODOS!!

¡Tercera noche de maratón literaria en las horas de insomnio!

Primero, tomémonos de la mano y cantemos la cancion de la cenicienta.

SEGUNDO Cinder vendría a ser...

Esto

más esto:

Básicamente, ésto...

¿No?

Tercero, Bonjuor, Reina Levana!

Está bárbaro encontrar una villana sinceramente malévola; una villana cuya maldad no reside en la estereotipada (y ya cansadora) condición (y a veces ridículamente machista) de femme fatale, sino en pura ambición malsana de poder. Loved her, loved her so much!

Cuarto, Endym---digo, KAI

¿Lindo, no? Digo, al menos, llegando al final me terminó cayendo bastante bien. En un principio, es posible que traicione la apariencia de "príncipe encantador" y, teniendo en cuenta encuentros pasados con personajes masculinos frívolos y demasiado Gastones,

...probablemente resulte sospechoso en la primera impresión. No obstante, a pesar de no ser un Dimitri Belikov o un Valek, Kai es un personaje digno de llamarse, como mínimo, interesante; un adolescente cuyas motivaciones no giran en torno a una Mary Sue desubicada ni cuya vida gira en torno a pasar de mujer en mujer como si fuesen pedazos de carne tal como, irritantemente, suele pasar con la mayoría de sus compañeros de género.

Así que, por ese lado, resulta un refrescante alivio.

QUINTO, La trama

A ver, a ver, si bien la historia me resultó sumamente predecible desde un principio (*voz de estereotipo concheto*: o sea, CENICIENTA, tipo náaa, es la menos cool de las princesas, la más nada, quizás la nada misma y digna representante de la cultura Mary Sue de todas las Mary sues de la década del 2000... y hubo casi un Renacimiento de la Cenicienta en esta década, ¿no?) y engancharme me costó horrores después de las primeras cincuenta páginas--(porque, realmente, tiene un inicio muy entretenido que ya lleva en esos pocos capítulos la promesa de una historia atrapante, para luego decaer considerablemente mientras la tensión de construye despacito)-- la novela es entretenimiento puro y al final es difícil no querer saber como se va a desarrollar eso que ya sabés que va a desarrollarse.

En fin, mi conclusión (por ahora) es: No estoy segura de si me gustó porque soy fan de Sailor MOON desde que tengo memoria (crecí con SERENA!! Tengo la muñeca de Serena, de Chibi MOON, de Sailor Marte todavía cerca. Mi hijo juega con esas muñecas!!) O sí me gustó porque, en efecto, es un buen libro.

Mi juicio está influenciado.

Y tampoco me importa demasiado. Acabo de terminarlo y sigo aturdida y recontra tarada por no dormir lo necesario, así que lo único que sé es que, al menos, lo disfruté y todos sus personajes me encantaron (#TEAMREINALEVANANECESITALIBROPROPIOESCRITOPORGILLIA​), Y QUE, PORUSPU, pasaré a leer el que sigue.

Considerenme entusiasmada...

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This book follows the Cyborg, Cinder in an epic fantastical sci-fi retelling of the traditional fairytale 'Cinderella'. In many ways it is similar to the Disney fairytale... there is a ball, a handsome prince, a romance but the book also touches on topics of political warfare, loyalty, family and what it means to be human. I would recommend this for teenagers and adults a like. A wonderful book, I read it in one sitting. ( )
  Keah | Jun 4, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

769 wanted6 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,928,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible