Cinder (Lunar Chronicles (Quality)) by…

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles (Quality)) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

2,4343772,539 (4.1)1 / 316
Member:wisemetis
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles (Quality))
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read, Your eBook Library
Tags:science fiction, young adult, fairy tales, cinderella, cyborg

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (373)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (376)
As you can guess from the title, this is a retelling of the classic fairy tale Cinderella, but with a pretty big twist. The setting is New Beijing on an Earth that has robots, cyborgs, and some warlike and aggressive neighbors from the Moon. Many of the elements are the same as the original story - there is a Prince who is very charming, an evil stepmother, and of course that spectacular royal ball. But the differences really make this story sparkle. Cinder is still a sweet girl, but she is gutsy, resourceful, and a geek. She doesn't rely on fairy godmothers and she aspires to more than pulling herself out of the fireplace ashes into a royal marriage. Instead, she is out to save the world. Very fun - looking forward to the sequel. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 24, 2014 |
I was super excited to read Cinder and it did not disappoint. I absolutely love fairy tales retold in different ways, and this was definitely a creative take on Cinderella. This was a very enjoyable read. I plowed through it, not really wanting to put it down, because I wanted to know how it ended. I'm looking forward to the next one, though it seems like it's going to be a while?

One thing I did notice about the book was that at times it could be a little predictable. Sometimes the big reveal was obvious before it happened (there were a few occasions when this was the case). That being said, though, it wasn't a distraction or a bad thing, it just meant that while the story was trying to be a bit mysterious, it was easy to guess what was coming next.

I also liked the characters. While Cinder was a bit focused on being a cyborg, and what that meant for her, her interactions with her sister and the prince gave her a depth past that internal dilemma.

At the end of the day, I very much enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anybody who likes young adult with a twist of science fiction and some dystopian action. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
This was a really addicting book. I'm glad I finally read it. I can't believe I didn't pick it up sooner. I thought this would be just another typical Cinderella story, but I was pleasantly surprised. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
Interesting concepts.. but none explored fully
Kai is sweet, but honestly, love at first sight with a greasy mechanics? Must be Glamour effect of Lunar... that is literally the only reasonable explanation
Predictable plot, the moment Princess Selene was mentioned.. I think everyone instantly knew who she is (but we still have to wait until the last pages of the book for confirmation.... woohoo)
Didn't really connect with Cinder... sorry maybe its the cyborg thing

Cinderella? Honestly?! No fairy godmother, no pumpkin carriage, no pretty dress and shoes.. only wrinkled dress from deceased sister, stolen shoes and a barely functioning gasoline car.... to top that... leaving a foot behind instead a shoe... The author is really trying hard to twist this into the Cinderella story but failed miserably in my opinion. ( )
  o.orange.o | Oct 25, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

This book was a fun read, I thought, but it had a pile of issues.

While the pacing of the book is pretty quick and never drags, the plot itself leaves a lot to be desired. The foreshadowing is so overdone, so obvious, and so often repeated that none of the major “twists” actually end up a surprise. Especially the main twist at the end — I’m not even sure why it was set up to be a “big reveal” at all, given the sheer amount of time spent discussing the topic beforehand.

On a different note, many areas of the story were sorely underutilized. Parts that could have been exciting action sequences were reduced to short asides, and far too many interesting occurrences were glossed over over in summary form to make room for scenes that didn’t add much to the story. Worst of all, while the story moves fast, for sure, it doesn’t really move anywhere — most of the plot didn’t push the story forward, and as the book wound to a close, I realized (with horror) that Cinder suffers from the dreaded “prologue book” syndrome. This book basically acts as a minimal effort setup for the “more exciting” sequel instead of standing on its own as a strong, well-designed novel.

Overall, I found the plot of Cinder lackluster and poorly constructed.

The characters didn’t do much for me either. Many of them fell under the banner of absolute good or evil, and the ones who didn’t were either minor characters or woefully inconsistent in their presentation. Cinder, as a protagonist, was all over the place — sometimes, she came off as capable, other times far too childish and naive for her age (and her apparent life experience). Kai, as a love interest and a Prince, fell flat for me — he was too often used as a mechanism to get a more in-depth look as Levana. His actual personality and development were compacted into too few scenes, and he had very little emotional depth.

Finally, there was Levana — the evil queen. And that’s all she was. Evil for, apparently, evil’s sake. My least favorite kind of villain. I found her presentation…not particularly compelling, to say the least. She could have been far more complex and interesting, but instead, she was cast as the default “pure evil” bad guy.

So, poor plot and poor characters. Yikes. But it does get worse:

By far, my biggest problem with this story was the world-building. Excuse me: what world-building? All the world-building in this story was tissue-paper thin. Everything was superficial. What could have been the sort of brilliantly vibrant and weird future society that the most imaginative of SFF books explore was instead reduced to a few key pieces of technology (androids, cyborgs, future cars) and some throwaway lines about altered country boundaries, a fourth World War, and a plague.

I was so disappointed by the lack of proper world-building in this story — because the premise sounded excellent. And I could see the foundation for a ton of awesome world-building throughout the book…but it never came to fruition. It all fell to the wayside in favor the breakneck pacing and the frivolous plot details. In the end, the book leaves the reader with a very indistinct picture of the world — and an even more indistinct picture of the weird Moon society supposedly threatening the world. I would have really loved to learn the history of that. But I didn’t get the chance to.

All in all, this book is definitely a case of “Cool idea! Poor execution.” Obviously, a lot of imagination went into creating the ideas behind this book, but most of those ideas were never fleshed out in the actual story. As a result, the book failed to impress me on pretty much every front.

Really, the only redeeming quality of this book is that, at its core, it’s a fairly quick, fun read. It’s not horrible, really. But it just doesn’t do, well, anything, to stand out and become a great book. ( )
  TherinKnite | Oct 7, 2014 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,997,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible