No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (418)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (421)
I have high expectations with Cinder, especially that most of my goodreads friends really love it. I found this book really promising since I’ve never encountered a cyborg character before and for me, it’s something that I won’t ever forget. But then, I guess I expected way too much. I tried. Honestly. But it didn’t really meet my expectations. *sigh*

However, there are factors that also make this book wonderful. I love Marissa Meyer’s imagination. I love how she created a lively concept of a dystopian world. Cybors. Androids. Insanely high technology. Lunars. New world after world war IV. Wow.! I mean, the concept is really impressive.

But in the long run, I was a bit disappointed. I didn’t expect myself to develop annoyance with the main character Cinder. I love her character, I love how unique she is as a cyborg, but when it comes to the way she acts, I kind of dislike her. There is no consistency with her emotions. I’m upset how vulnerable she is whenever her stepmother and stepsister is around. But whenever she’s with the Prince, she’s so firm with her decisions to say ‘NO’ every time. She always declines the prince’s invitation and she’s acting so difficult like ugh! I also don’t like the way she’s acting like a brat to Dr. Erland when this man is the only person who can give her much information about her past. There are also times when she jokes around and for me it sounds like a sarcasm. No, I don’t like her personality at all.

Prince Kai, however, is a nice character. I love how tough he is when it comes to decision-making. He doesn’t even feel scared with the Lunar Queen. So, yeah, thank goodness he’s not annoying.

During the first chapters, I really hoped that something great will happen in the long run. Um, I don’t know but the twist– that wasn’t what I’ve expected. Well, maybe on the second book everything will turn out great. And hopefully Cinder’s character will improve by then. :)

Book review originally posted on my blog: http://bibliopearl.wordpress.com/2014... ( )
  IAMPEARL | Aug 27, 2015 |
I must really be tiring of the whole dystopian genre because this book went nowhere for me. Meyer was smart to take a stab at a fairytale retelling, because so many people are enamored by classic fairytales that they will read any and all retellings that come their way. Although Meyer changed up the story considerably and used quite a bit of imagination, I feel like the story was too flat and predictable in the non-Cinderella components. Without the Cinderella crutch I don't think this book would be as popular as it is.

The basic storyline is that Cinder is a mechanic who is unfortunately a cyborg (half human/half machine) with little memory of her childhood. Since there is no respect in being a cyborg, Cinder keeps that part of her identity hidden. When the emperor's son, Kai, brings his malfunctioning android to her shop, he takes an instant liking to her. This attraction is complicated by the fact that he later invites her to be his guest at the upcoming ball without knowing her sordid history. A parallel plot to the Cinderella story is that a highly contagious plague is running rampant through the population. When Cinder is sent by her stepmother to be a medical volunteer, she learns information about her past that will put her safety in jeopardy and ultimately bring her face to face with a race of moon people who are enemies of the Earthlings.

The least developed part of the story, is unfortunately a large part of the plot. There is a colony of people living on the moon who is ruled by an evil queen who wants to take over and rule the Earth. This is completely hokey to me, perhaps because there were too many unexplained details. This is further made ridiculous by the queen's ability to use mind control on people and make them see her as more beautiful than she really is. It moves the book away from the dystopian genre and closer to science fiction, of which I'm not a fan. I think if Meyer had kept the plot tighter, worked on character development, and not allowed herself to stray into the absurd, she could have had herself a decent novel. ( )
1 vote valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
After my second read, I HAD to change my four star rating to a five. Excellent. I think I'm about to head to the library to pick up the next one.

Full review to come. ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
My thoughts:
Amazing . I went to the library and i saw it and i got so excited , cause i heard allot of good things about this book , but unfortunately there wasn't a english version so i just got the dutch one. But i really enjoyed it tho , i had only had expected way more of the ending cause i expected to also be reading if she did go to africa or did she stay and became a queen. I did love the twist of cinderella. I love disney stories, and i loved that this one was in the future and that she was a cyborg. I would really recommend it , i really enjoyed it and i hope to be reading scarlet and cress soon ( )
  Bookswithtasha | Aug 10, 2015 |
This book is a bit hard for lower readers( 6-7th grade). It has lots of characters that my students have found hard to follow. If they can get past the first 50 pages they will be all right. ( )
  nickietravis | Jul 26, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

769 wanted6 pay6 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,099,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible