HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer
Loading...

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
2,8224072,061 (4.1)1 / 367
Member:IsabelDouglas
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Work details

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

  1. 20
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
  2. 10
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
  3. 10
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
  4. 00
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
  5. 00
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
  6. 00
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (403)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (406)
Showing 1-5 of 403 (next | show all)
Im in love with marissa meyer. Thats all I can say about it. Cinderella has always been my favorite and when I came across this one I totally had to read it. and its the best choice I couldve done. ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jun 23, 2015 |
3.5

Advertencia: Esta es una reseña con muchos gifs, mi humilde intento de hacer honor y tratar de estar a la altura a las reseñas que solemos ver en reseñas YA/NA o alguna otra reseña de entusiasmo (y además porque estoy zombie y no tengo ganas de analizar). SOBREDOSIS DE GIFS PARA TODOS!!

¡Tercera noche de maratón literaria en las horas de insomnio!



Primero, tomémonos de la mano y cantemos la cancion de la cenicienta.



SEGUNDO Cinder vendría a ser...


Esto



más esto:





Básicamente, ésto...




¿No?


Tercero, Bonjuor, Reina Levana!




Está bárbaro encontrar una villana sinceramente malévola; una villana cuya maldad no reside en la estereotipada (y ya cansadora) condición (y a veces ridículamente machista) de femme fatale, sino en pura ambición malsana de poder. Loved her, loved her so much!






Cuarto, Endym---digo, KAI



¿Lindo, no? Digo, al menos, llegando al final me terminó cayendo bastante bien. En un principio, es posible que traicione la apariencia de "príncipe encantador" y, teniendo en cuenta encuentros pasados con personajes masculinos frívolos y demasiado Gastones,



...probablemente resulte sospechoso en la primera impresión. No obstante, a pesar de no ser un Dimitri Belikov o un Valek, Kai es un personaje digno de llamarse, como mínimo, interesante; un adolescente cuyas motivaciones no giran en torno a una Mary Sue desubicada ni cuya vida gira en torno a pasar de mujer en mujer como si fuesen pedazos de carne tal como, irritantemente, suele pasar con la mayoría de sus compañeros de género.

Así que, por ese lado, resulta un refrescante alivio.


QUINTO, La trama

A ver, a ver, si bien la historia me resultó sumamente predecible desde un principio (*voz de estereotipo concheto*: o sea, CENICIENTA, tipo náaa, es la menos cool de las princesas, la más nada, quizás la nada misma y digna representante de la cultura Mary Sue de todas las Mary sues de la década del 2000... y hubo casi un Renacimiento de la Cenicienta en esta década, ¿no?) y engancharme me costó horrores después de las primeras cincuenta páginas--(porque, realmente, tiene un inicio muy entretenido que ya lleva en esos pocos capítulos la promesa de una historia atrapante, para luego decaer considerablemente mientras la tensión de construye despacito)-- la novela es entretenimiento puro y al final es difícil no querer saber como se va a desarrollar eso que ya sabés que va a desarrollarse.

En fin, mi conclusión (por ahora) es: No estoy segura de si me gustó porque soy fan de Sailor MOON desde que tengo memoria (crecí con SERENA!! Tengo la muñeca de Serena, de Chibi MOON, de Sailor Marte todavía cerca. Mi hijo juega con esas muñecas!!) O sí me gustó porque, en efecto, es un buen libro.

Mi juicio está influenciado.

Y tampoco me importa demasiado. Acabo de terminarlo y sigo aturdida y recontra tarada por no dormir lo necesario, así que lo único que sé es que, al menos, lo disfruté y todos sus personajes me encantaron (#TEAMREINALEVANANECESITALIBROPROPIOESCRITOPORGILLIA​), Y QUE, PORUSPU, pasaré a leer el que sigue.

Considerenme entusiasmada...

( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This book follows the Cyborg, Cinder in an epic fantastical sci-fi retelling of the traditional fairytale 'Cinderella'. In many ways it is similar to the Disney fairytale... there is a ball, a handsome prince, a romance but the book also touches on topics of political warfare, loyalty, family and what it means to be human. I would recommend this for teenagers and adults a like. A wonderful book, I read it in one sitting. ( )
  Keah | Jun 4, 2015 |
Cinder, the best mechanic in New Beijing, was working at the market when the Prince stopped in to have his android repaired. Even though she was a cyborg, she felt flustered and lost control of her brain's net connection. Her human part made it hard to focus. As she studied the android, they agreed to meet the next market day to check on the status of the repair.

Adri, Cinder's "stepmother", hated her. Adri's husband had made them guardians of Cinder, an 11-year old cyborg. Adri owned her and the money she earned. When His Imperial Majesty Emperor Rikan came down with the plague, one of her "stepsisters" implied she ought to volunteer for plague testing. A royal research team had come up with the cyborg draft, choosing a number every morning from the cyborgs of the Eastern Commonwealth, using them to test for an antidote. Cyborg's were looked at as less than human. When Peony, the only human friend she had, came down with the plague, Adri had had enough. She volunteered Cinder for the draft. After all, she had no feelings, right? How was she going to survive? No one survives plague testing. Would she meet the prince again? What do you think?

Cinder didn't remember anything before 11 years old . When she got to the research center, Dr. Erland began filling in some of the blanks.

Even though I knew where this was going, I could hardly wait to get there. I didn't think I was going to be disappointed and I surely wasn't. I thought it was a unique twist on a known storyline and great fun to read. Numerous times I found myself laughing out loud. I have a love/hate relationship with it being a series. I hate not knowing the end, even though I know it. Know what I mean, lol? I am eagerly awaiting the next book. ( )
  sherry69 | May 24, 2015 |
It's insane that I just started reading the Lunar Chronicles, I know. It has been everywhere and with the release of Winter coming up, I definitely need to get caught up. I was pleasantly surprised with this book because I was expected a pretty simple Cinderella retelling but instead I got something much more complex. Cinder's world is so vivid and well thought out, and the storyline keeps throwing something new at you. The fact that Cinder is a kick-butt mechanic makes it even better! (I love tough heroines). I didn't expect to like Cinder so much and I absolutely need to know what happens after this book. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Lunar Chronicles and I would recommend this book in a heartbeat. ( )
  Ericanneri | May 21, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 403 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
First words
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Quotations
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 4 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
769 wanted6 pay5 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.1)
0.5
1 5
1.5
2 29
2.5 10
3 123
3.5 67
4 423
4.5 59
5 317

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Penguin Australia

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,850,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible