Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (496)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (499)
I loved this. Cinder is a more than resilient heroine who kicks butt. The characters are all interesting in their own rights and the plot is clever. A fantastic reworking of the old classic. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. Everyone knows the Cinderella fairy tale (or most people should) and yet this is such a fun take on it. I love that the setting wasn't in the Western world, and that it wasn't the normal servant girl falling in love with the prince. Even though it had the basis of the fairy tale, it was so much more than that. ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! OK - so yes...this is the retelling of the Cinderella story that I would imagine most readers are familiar with. I am not a writer but I have to think taking on the classic Cinderella story would be difficult. Can you keep your reader engaged enough in the story that they do not become bored? Can you bring in elements they are familiar with but mesh those with Cyborgs and Androids (yes I said Cyborgs and Androids) and make it believable and still carry forth the charm that every girl loves? Can your reader become engaged enough that they are up at 1 AM eagerly flipping pages? For me, the answer is yes! Am I giddy like a 7 year old...yes! Am I longing for the Prince and Cinder to reunite...yes!! Do I hope the wicked stepmother and the equally wicked queen" get what is coming to them...yes! Similar to my feelings for "Of Beast and Beauty", I was captivated from the start. In the back of my head I knew the underlying story, the what next...the stepsisters, the ball, the slipper, and while this retelling captures all those fabulous characters and moments, I was still drawn into the story and it's many differences. Yes, the Prince...God love him...is Charming! I loved his character and his pursuit of the equally charming and fascinating character of our dear Cinder is so heartwarming.

Thank you to my fellow Goodreads Friends for turning me on to this one and I am even more thrilled that I do not have to wait to move onto other books in this series. I have no doubt I will gobble the series up and within a couple of weeks be eagerly awaiting 2015 for "Winter" to arrive." ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book, the storyline was so good and I think if you're a fan of retellings or once upon a time you will enjoy this. It mixes sci-fi so well with fairytale, and I really liked some of the characters like Cinder, Peony, Iko and Dr Erland, but I thought the romance didn't seem realistic (then again fairytale romances aren't very often realistic) and Kai seemed to have no personality, and it was a very predictable book but I enjoyed it anyway and I can't wait for the 2nd one! ( )
  blakktreacle | May 10, 2016 |
So as you know, the first in the series The Lunar Chronicles, is Cinder, affectionately named for our cyborg heroine. First let me just take a minute to talk about the cover art. I really love how the classic symbol of Cinderella, "dainty foot in pretty high heel" is meshed with the futuristic sci-fi-ness (yes I know that's not technically a word, but it should be and I like it) of the cyborg leg. Perfection. Ok, back to the book. Cinder was adopted at age 11 after what was told to her to be a horrific hovercraft accident which killed both her parents and left her so damaged, the only way to save her life was with the use of cybernetics. Fitted with complex internal wiring, a computer mainframe, and a couple of mechanical appendages she has always felt different, ashamed of her cyborg status. Her adoptive father died of the plague shortly after bringing her home leaving her with his disgruntled wife and two children. Fast forward and Cinder is 16, a gifted mechanic and a despised member of the family. Her only joy comes from tinkering with anything mechanical, her trusted android friend, Iko, and the few and far between stolen moments of fun with her younger sister, Peony. Due to her stellar reputation as a mechanic, Cinder is commissioned by the handsome Prince Kai to fix his childhood android. (Insert instant sparks and fan-girling- Prince Kai definitely lives up to his "charming" predecessor). Through a series of tragic events,Cinder is sold by her stepmother (yeah remember how cyborgs are treated like second class citizens?) for lab research at the royal lab to study the plague (which consequently is a death sentence). Meanwhile, Prince Kai is mourning the loss of his father, yet another victim of the plague while attempting to handle diplomatic relations with Queen Levana of Luna. Levana has threatened war on Earth unless her demands are met, mainly a marriage alliance with Prince (now Emperor) Kai. "Why is this such a bad thing?" you may ask. Good question, I'll go ahead and tell you. Levana is pretty ruthless. She is a merciless dictator on Lunar, filled with delusions of grandeur and Earthien domination. It is also widely rumored that Levana had her niece, Princess Selene murdered when she was only 3 years old in order to assume power of the throne (sounds like a peach huh?). There are murmurings amongst both the Lunars and Earthiens that Selene escaped her attempted murder and was smuggled to Earth to be kept safe until she was old/strong enough to overthrow her aunt and assume her rightful place as Queen. You can understand Kai's hesitation to enter into a holy union with this woman right? To sweeten the deal, Queen Levana offers Kai something he can't refuse, a cure for the letumosis, the plague ravaging the world, if and only if he consents to marriage. In secret, Kai is desperately searching for Selene, the lost princess, in what seems a futile attempt to dethrone Levana. While being held in the royal lab, Cinder meets the enigmatic Dr. Erland, head of letumosis research who quickly becomes an ally, perhaps not fully trusted, but an ally none the less (which is pretty useful considering her mother just sold her off as a lab rat). With the help of Dr. Erland, Cinder begins to uncover frightening revelations from her mysterious past, challenging not just her self view, but her view of the world. Can Cinder overcome the shock of learning her true identity, falling in love, and the murderous rage of Levana all while assuming the mantel she must wear to save the world? Well I could tell you but I won't, I'm going to insist you read for yourself and find out. I promise you won't be disappointed. Marissa keeps you enthralled from beginning to end with vivid imagery, action packed fight scenes, and the tummy fluttering feelings of new love. Don't be fooled by the YA genre, the plot is solid and the characters thoughtfully well written. You will be rooting for Cinder from page one, cheering for her triumphs, biting your nails when she comes under fire (sometimes literally), and heavy hearted with her losses. ( )
  courtneygiraldo | May 9, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,954,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible