Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

4,1695351,202 (4.1)1 / 405
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (529)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (532)
I have wanted to read this book for a long while but i never got around to it. I am glad I did. Science fiction is not my genre but every girl likes the story of Cinderella. This title so much deeper than that.....and also has cyborgs and droids and magic and multiple identities. It is a great first book when lookoing for a series
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Oct 19, 2016 |
Actually, I'd rate this ★★★★☆ for almost the first half but ★★☆☆☆ for the last portion.

Opened unexpectedly exciting with great worldbuilding and sympathetic heroine. Harder to explain why I didn't care for the finish as much. End not quite as good on the story flow, but not enough to account for why I didn't like as much. Definitely YA tropes crept in including "mean girl" to the extreme with the steps and everything-be-all-end-all for the crush. I think it was more that I didn't like lots of what happened -- which doesn't stop me from wanting to know what happens next. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 15, 2016 |
Also on: Ruby's Books

Rating: 3.5 stars

I have to admit that for once I have no idea how to start this review. I mean, the book was very surprising for me. To start, I must be honest: I have no clue what the difference between a cyborg and an android is *sheepish* Not even the tinniest clue, so I was a little lost at times. I guess if I think about it really hard, I suppose androids are just robots and cyborgs are former humans? *shakes head* I think I'll leave it here, or I risk making a fool of myself LOL

I liked Cinder. She was a very like-able character. I liked her sense of humor and her sarcasm. What I liked though was that it was very easy to forget she was "special" or a cyborg. Also, I loved how she could detect lies. I could use that tool, actually :D I wanted to hit something when her stepmother gave her to the scientists.

I also liked that you don't get your usual fairy tale retelling. Things are a bit different here: she is friends with one of her stepsisters, she has a sidekick, she is a well-known mechanic and a lot of other little changes that make the story unique. Oh, I loved her sidekick, Iko. I actually like the idea of a best friend that knows everything. (Could be useful during exams too)

Also, I loved the prince. He was different than what I expected. Good different, not bad ;)

I have to say that I was disappointed by the ending. I mean, yes, I know it's a series that's focused on Cinder and on her journey, but I wanted to see at least one issue resolved. I mean, anything. Her escape or her relationship with the emperor resolved, anything.

Also, there were some elements that where familiar. I don't know if anyone else made this connection, but I felt as though I was reading a new book and watching Sailor Moon at the same time. I'm not saying the book and the TV show are identical, just that some elements reminded me about that show, a show that I loved as a child.

The story was a little predictable at times, but the writing style (which I loved, might I add) kept me reading and wanting to know how the story unfolds.

In the end, I liked the book. It was a very interesting story and a cool start for a series. I am curious to see how Cinder's journey continues and what will happen next and what other fairy tales will be retold throughout the series.
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Here's the book that started it all! My obsession with this series began right here.
It's actually been about 2 months since I finished this book, but I'm finally getting to finish this series up and finally seeing how it all ends!

I love all things fairytales and sci-fi, so take Cinderella, put her in space and you have my full, undivided attention! If you wanna get technical, she hasn't made it to space yet, in this book, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen.

I'm pretty notorious for writting long reviews and just long blogs in general..Hey I sit with kids all day, this is my grown up time. But today I'm gonna try something new for a change. Short, sweet and to the point.

“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

Our story begins in futuristic New Begeing. In a world where humans and androids co-exist. Cyborgs, (half human, half robot) walk the Earth as second class cittizens, a ruthless dictator from outer space, with the power of mind control, threatens to strike at any moment to over take Earth. And a ravenous, deadly plague is quickly spreading throughout the land.

Cinder is a 16yr. old cyborg, who spends her days working in the marketplace as an ace mechanic. Being cyborg, she has no legal rights and is left in the care of a stepmother, whom despises her. Unbeknownst to Cinder, the fate of the entire universe lies in her robotic hands.

An unexpected meeting with the handsome Prince Kai sets off a chain reaction of events, leaving Cinder to discover who she really is and also placing her in great danger. This is a story of beginnings, Self discovery, acceptance, budding romance and adventure.

I really don't know how to describe this book without giving away too many spoilers, I will say this: while at first this book didn't exactly appeal to me, I was pleasently surprised by the time I finished! This is the first book in the series, so while you will not get answers to all the questions you may have, you will get enough to keep you coming back for more!

I have seen many mediocre reviews on this book and its main character. To a certain extent I agree, Cinder wasn't one of my favortite characters, and while she may serve as a secondary character in the rest of the books, the series is about her and her journey to self discovery. She was purposely written this way, so that the readers may enjoy seeing her growth and experience her changes along side her. I for one, can not wait to see what Miss Meyer has in store for the rest of this series.
I'm already on "Cress" and I can barely put it down!

The action in this book was mild. There was a lot going on, and a lot of questions being asked, as to present the reader with cause to pick up the next books in the series. There is promise of a budding romance between Cinder and prince Kai, the connection and feelings are there but have not yet been explored to the full extent.

All in all I would rate this book 8 out of ten stars! It was fun and entertaing, this series looks promising and I garuntee it will not disappoint! ( )
  alliecollins8488 | Oct 8, 2016 |
This is an interesting modern spin on Cinderella. Cinder is a known mechanic and because of her reputation, the Prince visits her to fix his android. Everything soon goes wrong when Cinder's step-sister contracts the plaque and Cinder is forced by her guardian step-mother to become a test subject. She begins to learn more and more about herself and is caught up in a love and political triangle.
  OliviaJacobson | Sep 30, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,786,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible