Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Recently added byFoodang, arydwn, LauraBrook, sbelasco, jmslibrarygirl, private library, Verkruissen, jessica_reads
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (396)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (399)
I loved this book! It was an interesting take on the Cinderella story in a future world with cyborgs and magic. Easy, quick, fun read! Can't wait to see how she ties in other fairy tale stories into this bigger picture she's creating! Next book is on order for me! ( )
  chase4720 | Mar 24, 2015 |
This book was a very interesting read. I loved the book all the way through. I just could not get my self to read it as much as I usually read. This book was really slow paced and it picked up at the end.

4.5/5 Lunars ( )
  Reece_Kinnaird | Mar 11, 2015 |
I could not put this book down, I LOVED it! I enjoy reading fairy tale adaptations and "Cinder" is hands down the most exciting and inventive version of Cinderella I have ever read, hands down! The story opens in an apocalyptic future of Earth. After the fourth World War every continent merged to form huge provinces, there are five Earthen provinces and one Lunar colony. Technology has evolved to support hovercrafts, net-screens, androids and cyborgs. Young Cinder lives with her stepmother and two sisters, but she has NOTHING in common with them. She is a cyborg. Orphaned at eleven her stepfather took her in but was then tragically killed. Cinder is forced to work as a mechanic to support her "family" but all that changes when the prince stops by her stall and her stepsister is infected with the plague. Suddenly, everything in Cinder's small world is thrown off kilter and she must overcome everyone's prejudices about cyborgs and prove that she matters. Fantastic, unique, and well worth a read. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series! ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 9, 2015 |
Ms. Meyer imagines a futuristic version of Cinderella and mixes in a bit of historical legend as well to make this story of a cyborg girl fresh. I like the fact that the author's world is wide and there are a number of things going on. This gives depth and interest to a fairy tale re-telling. Can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 6, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,141,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible