Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (402)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (405)
Cinder, the best mechanic in New Beijing, was working at the market when the Prince stopped in to have his android repaired. Even though she was a cyborg, she felt flustered and lost control of her brain's net connection. Her human part made it hard to focus. As she studied the android, they agreed to meet the next market day to check on the status of the repair.

Adri, Cinder's "stepmother", hated her. Adri's husband had made them guardians of Cinder, an 11-year old cyborg. Adri owned her and the money she earned. When His Imperial Majesty Emperor Rikan came down with the plague, one of her "stepsisters" implied she ought to volunteer for plague testing. A royal research team had come up with the cyborg draft, choosing a number every morning from the cyborgs of the Eastern Commonwealth, using them to test for an antidote. Cyborg's were looked at as less than human. When Peony, the only human friend she had, came down with the plague, Adri had had enough. She volunteered Cinder for the draft. After all, she had no feelings, right? How was she going to survive? No one survives plague testing. Would she meet the prince again? What do you think?

Cinder didn't remember anything before 11 years old . When she got to the research center, Dr. Erland began filling in some of the blanks.

Even though I knew where this was going, I could hardly wait to get there. I didn't think I was going to be disappointed and I surely wasn't. I thought it was a unique twist on a known storyline and great fun to read. Numerous times I found myself laughing out loud. I have a love/hate relationship with it being a series. I hate not knowing the end, even though I know it. Know what I mean, lol? I am eagerly awaiting the next book. ( )
  sherry69 | May 24, 2015 |
It's insane that I just started reading the Lunar Chronicles, I know. It has been everywhere and with the release of Winter coming up, I definitely need to get caught up. I was pleasantly surprised with this book because I was expected a pretty simple Cinderella retelling but instead I got something much more complex. Cinder's world is so vivid and well thought out, and the storyline keeps throwing something new at you. The fact that Cinder is a kick-butt mechanic makes it even better! (I love tough heroines). I didn't expect to like Cinder so much and I absolutely need to know what happens after this book. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Lunar Chronicles and I would recommend this book in a heartbeat. ( )
  Ericanneri | May 21, 2015 |
I am really loving the current trend of turning popular fairy tales on their heads. I thought it was revolutionary to turn Dorothy Gale into an evil sorceress but THIS is extraordinary storytelling. Not only did the story have a dystopian feel but there are cyborgs (!) and the Prince is more than just a pretty face who rescues the damsel (refreshingly, that's flipped around also). Topics such as prejudice, slavery, plague, war, manipulation, and many more are covered in Cinder, the first book of the Lunar Chronicles. I found it intriguing how Meyer envisioned our world after its near annihilation after World War IV. Further proving that young adult novels tackle serious topics, Meyer doesn't shy away from giving the reader a glimpse of the dark underbelly that pervades a war torn society. Cinder is multifaceted and complex which makes it a no-brainer to continue with its sequel, Scarlet. It would be a mistake to dismiss this one, guys. ( )
  AliceaP | May 19, 2015 |
Marissa Meyer's debut Cinder is one of those books that will make you curse your need for sleep. Be prepared to stay up way past your bed time and/or hate the moment you have to put it down even for just a few hours.

On the busy streets of New Beijing, humans and androids alike rush around going about their lives - or helping others go about theirs. Cinder, is an amazing mechanic, filling her days working to earn money for her ungrateful stepmother - she's also a cyborg.

With cyborg's seen as second-class citizens and her step-mother blaming her for her step-father's illness years ago, Cinder's life is far from perfect . . .

With a plague ravaging the planet's populace and lunar people threatening from above, Cinder doesn't know just how important her chance meeting with the Prince one day may be. For her. For everyone.

I loved Cinder so much. Every time there's been any sort of fairy tale re-imagining announced, released or even speculated on, I hope it's going to be about Cinderella. Marissa Meyer came up with something better than I - or possibly anyone else - could have imagined with Cinder. It's a cyborg Cinderella with a kick-butt mechanic; The Jetsons meets Once Upon a Time meets Cinderella. Tell me that does not all sound awesome?

There's enough of the Cinderella tale we all know that it's fun to try to guess where certain things will go or what other parts will be included, but it's also most definitely different. No glass slippers here. And no Gus Gus either . .. but there is Iko, Cinder's android who's more than outdated and has what her step-mother calls a 'faulty' personality chip. She definitely makes up for the lack of Gus Gus and the other mice that were in the Cinderella movie.

Meyer's debut is one where it's hard to believe it is, in fact, the author's debut. The writing is great, the characters are great, the world she has imagined is truly spectacular, there's not much I don't like about Cinder.

We don't get a lot of background into the characters - which would have been nice since they are such great characters - but that fits with the plot and, I think, this being the first book in the series. There were a few plot points that may also be explained if this happens.

A few things were predictable, but being pretty sure I knew them didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. (Even when I was right.)

I am now very much eagerly awaiting the release of the next book . . .

If you're looking for a great book to start of 2012 with, this is most assuredly it.

BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
It started with the troll under the bridge. He was only trying to collect the toll and the poor thing got battered by the biggest billy goat gruff (Truth About Three Billy Goats Gruff). Then there was The True Story of the Three Little Pigs followed by The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig. Then “The Wicked Years” series by Gregory Maguire along with his other re-tellings of popular fairy tales. I discovered a Steam Punk version of the Wizard of Oz, actually it was sent to me by the author. I need to find it and read the next installment. I probably enjoy these because I’ve never liked fairy tales, tales of child abuse and misogyny, women were either wicked queens and witches or helpless princesses waiting for a man to come save them. Fathers remarrying because taking care of children is women’s work. YUCK.

Along comes Cinder, a well know fairy tale turned into Steam Punk Science Fiction/Dystopian novel. The next book in the series is “Scarlet”, pretty sure you can guess whose story that is. Cinder is an orphan, abused by her ‘stepmother’ and ‘stepsisters’, having to do all the work and turn her wages over to her stepmother because she is also a cyborg. Her only friend is an android with a malfunctioning personality chip.

The setting is New Beijing, the population has been ravaged by a plague that doctors can find no cure for. The lunar people want to take over earth. There is a handsome prince, and a ball, but no happily ever after. At least not at the end of this book.

Let me just say that a few chapters into this book I KNEW who Cinder really is, I uncovered the secrets of her past that will help her save the world. OH COME ON YOU HAD TO KNOW THAT WAS COMING! Then it was just a matter of time till Cinder discovered it and unfortunately her mortal enemy also. Oops, almost a spoiler.

This was a quick read, the story moved smoothly and the ending sets the stage for the next book. It’s gives us questions that we now have to read the next book to get the answers. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Apr 8, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,290,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible