Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

Rating:*****
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Recently added bydavidgn, private library, booksforgirls, b00kworm72, zoeplant
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (418)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (421)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, especially since I've had very little interest in reading it based on the synopsis and also because I don't particularly care for fairytale retellings. My fear is always that I will be bored because I know the bones of the story, but Cinder managed to throw me some curve balls. Honestly, if I hadn't known it was supposed to be based on Cinderella, and if there hadn't been a royal ball and a mean stepmother, I wouldn't have even associated this story with the classic fairytale. She may have used it as a jumping off point, but the story and world Marissa Meyer created is all her own.

Overall I enjoyed it, and I totally understand the glowing reviews; for me personally, though, I was never so caught up in the story that I couldn't shut it off and walk away for a while. It wasn't juvenile and the writing was strong, but I still never forgot that it was a YA book and I didn't feel intensely invested in the story. I did think it was very well done though.

The romance is still in its beginning stages and was very light, with the majority of the story centering around Cinder's life as a cyborg mechanic living in the alternate reality of New Beijing, a city in the midst of a horrendous plague that is killing off millions of people. The disease is incurable and the government has instituted a draft for plague-research subjects, all among the cyborg population. The word cyborg kind of freaked me out, to be honest, because I was picturing the Terminator. Turns out in this book, people have differing levels of cyborg parts, and all that means is they were injured at some point and had a portion of their body replaced with a robotic part, usually an arm or a leg. Cinder is still very human... just augmented, but being a cyborg makes her a second-class citizen.

Probably my favorite thing about this story is that the author didn't wrap up Cinder's story with a HEA and a perfectly-fitting glass slipper (or cyborg foot, as the case may be). There is still a lot of story here to tell, and the world she has created allows for introduction of a lot of new characters. It actually reminds me of the show on TV that introduces new fairytale characters in each episode while following an overarching storyline (Once Upon a Time?) That show has always struck me as a little cheesy, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing where this book series goes. I think Marissa Meyer is onto something here.

Recommended for: Fans of sci-fi/fantasy YA who enjoy a good story but don't need a heavy romantic thread to stay interested.

Note about the audio version: I listened to this as an audiobook and the narrator was perfect. She was easy to listen to, kept the pace steady, and I was able to distinguish all the characters without her using any overt vocal changes (such as a gruff growly voice for men etc). As an audiobook, this is at least 4 stars. ( )
  KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
I have high expectations with Cinder, especially that most of my goodreads friends really love it. I found this book really promising since I’ve never encountered a cyborg character before and for me, it’s something that I won’t ever forget. But then, I guess I expected way too much. I tried. Honestly. But it didn’t really meet my expectations. *sigh*

However, there are factors that also make this book wonderful. I love Marissa Meyer’s imagination. I love how she created a lively concept of a dystopian world. Cybors. Androids. Insanely high technology. Lunars. New world after world war IV. Wow.! I mean, the concept is really impressive.

But in the long run, I was a bit disappointed. I didn’t expect myself to develop annoyance with the main character Cinder. I love her character, I love how unique she is as a cyborg, but when it comes to the way she acts, I kind of dislike her. There is no consistency with her emotions. I’m upset how vulnerable she is whenever her stepmother and stepsister is around. But whenever she’s with the Prince, she’s so firm with her decisions to say ‘NO’ every time. She always declines the prince’s invitation and she’s acting so difficult like ugh! I also don’t like the way she’s acting like a brat to Dr. Erland when this man is the only person who can give her much information about her past. There are also times when she jokes around and for me it sounds like a sarcasm. No, I don’t like her personality at all.

Prince Kai, however, is a nice character. I love how tough he is when it comes to decision-making. He doesn’t even feel scared with the Lunar Queen. So, yeah, thank goodness he’s not annoying.

During the first chapters, I really hoped that something great will happen in the long run. Um, I don’t know but the twist– that wasn’t what I’ve expected. Well, maybe on the second book everything will turn out great. And hopefully Cinder’s character will improve by then. :)

Book review originally posted on my blog: http://bibliopearl.wordpress.com/2014... ( )
  IAMPEARL | Aug 27, 2015 |
I must really be tiring of the whole dystopian genre because this book went nowhere for me. Meyer was smart to take a stab at a fairytale retelling, because so many people are enamored by classic fairytales that they will read any and all retellings that come their way. Although Meyer changed up the story considerably and used quite a bit of imagination, I feel like the story was too flat and predictable in the non-Cinderella components. Without the Cinderella crutch I don't think this book would be as popular as it is.

The basic storyline is that Cinder is a mechanic who is unfortunately a cyborg (half human/half machine) with little memory of her childhood. Since there is no respect in being a cyborg, Cinder keeps that part of her identity hidden. When the emperor's son, Kai, brings his malfunctioning android to her shop, he takes an instant liking to her. This attraction is complicated by the fact that he later invites her to be his guest at the upcoming ball without knowing her sordid history. A parallel plot to the Cinderella story is that a highly contagious plague is running rampant through the population. When Cinder is sent by her stepmother to be a medical volunteer, she learns information about her past that will put her safety in jeopardy and ultimately bring her face to face with a race of moon people who are enemies of the Earthlings.

The least developed part of the story, is unfortunately a large part of the plot. There is a colony of people living on the moon who is ruled by an evil queen who wants to take over and rule the Earth. This is completely hokey to me, perhaps because there were too many unexplained details. This is further made ridiculous by the queen's ability to use mind control on people and make them see her as more beautiful than she really is. It moves the book away from the dystopian genre and closer to science fiction, of which I'm not a fan. I think if Meyer had kept the plot tighter, worked on character development, and not allowed herself to stray into the absurd, she could have had herself a decent novel. ( )
1 vote valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
After my second read, I HAD to change my four star rating to a five. Excellent. I think I'm about to head to the library to pick up the next one.

Full review to come. ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
My thoughts:
Amazing . I went to the library and i saw it and i got so excited , cause i heard allot of good things about this book , but unfortunately there wasn't a english version so i just got the dutch one. But i really enjoyed it tho , i had only had expected way more of the ending cause i expected to also be reading if she did go to africa or did she stay and became a queen. I did love the twist of cinderella. I love disney stories, and i loved that this one was in the future and that she was a cyborg. I would really recommend it , i really enjoyed it and i hope to be reading scarlet and cress soon ( )
  Bookswithtasha | Aug 10, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

769 wanted6 pay6 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,142,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible