Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (374)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (377)
Hey guys! Just made a review on Cinder by Marissa Meyer on my blog!!! Visit it here: darlin-gem.weebly.com ( )
  darlin_gem | Nov 28, 2014 |
As you can guess from the title, this is a retelling of the classic fairy tale Cinderella, but with a pretty big twist. The setting is New Beijing on an Earth that has robots, cyborgs, and some warlike and aggressive neighbors from the Moon. Many of the elements are the same as the original story - there is a Prince who is very charming, an evil stepmother, and of course that spectacular royal ball. But the differences really make this story sparkle. Cinder is still a sweet girl, but she is gutsy, resourceful, and a geek. She doesn't rely on fairy godmothers and she aspires to more than pulling herself out of the fireplace ashes into a royal marriage. Instead, she is out to save the world. Very fun - looking forward to the sequel. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 24, 2014 |
I was super excited to read Cinder and it did not disappoint. I absolutely love fairy tales retold in different ways, and this was definitely a creative take on Cinderella. This was a very enjoyable read. I plowed through it, not really wanting to put it down, because I wanted to know how it ended. I'm looking forward to the next one, though it seems like it's going to be a while?

One thing I did notice about the book was that at times it could be a little predictable. Sometimes the big reveal was obvious before it happened (there were a few occasions when this was the case). That being said, though, it wasn't a distraction or a bad thing, it just meant that while the story was trying to be a bit mysterious, it was easy to guess what was coming next.

I also liked the characters. While Cinder was a bit focused on being a cyborg, and what that meant for her, her interactions with her sister and the prince gave her a depth past that internal dilemma.

At the end of the day, I very much enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anybody who likes young adult with a twist of science fiction and some dystopian action. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
This was a really addicting book. I'm glad I finally read it. I can't believe I didn't pick it up sooner. I thought this would be just another typical Cinderella story, but I was pleasantly surprised. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |
Interesting concepts.. but none explored fully
Kai is sweet, but honestly, love at first sight with a greasy mechanics? Must be Glamour effect of Lunar... that is literally the only reasonable explanation
Predictable plot, the moment Princess Selene was mentioned.. I think everyone instantly knew who she is (but we still have to wait until the last pages of the book for confirmation.... woohoo)
Didn't really connect with Cinder... sorry maybe its the cyborg thing

Cinderella? Honestly?! No fairy godmother, no pumpkin carriage, no pretty dress and shoes.. only wrinkled dress from deceased sister, stolen shoes and a barely functioning gasoline car.... to top that... leaving a foot behind instead a shoe... The author is really trying hard to twist this into the Cinderella story but failed miserably in my opinion. ( )
  o.orange.o | Oct 25, 2014 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible