Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:cinderella, cyborg, dystopian

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (393)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (396)
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

There. All of you Meyer-obsessed readers have finally convinced me to pick up a copy of Cinder and read it less than 24 hours. You should be satisfied to know that I LOVED it! Don’t gloat, but it is one of my favorite reads of 2015 (so far) and I have already requested Scarlet to read from my public library. :D It’s taking me forever to review this book, because I once again feel like I won’t be able to do the book justice.*Sigh* the curse of a book blogger, right?

Ever since the first time I heard about this futuristic Cinderella retelling, I loved the idea of weaving a futuristic new world with an old and classic fairy tale. It took me years to work up the courage to read Cinder, because I was terrified the author would not live up to my expectations, like a lot of popular authors. I am here to tell you that Meyer took an old story and magically created something brilliant and brand new. I had the best time between the pages of this book. If you have put off reading this because, like me, you're intimated by your own expectations, I urge you to give it a try! It is a wonderful book and i can't way to read more by Marissa Meyer.

Cinder is not what one would consider a normal teenage girl of her times. She does not spend all her time cyber-stalking Prince Kai, heir to the Eastern Commonwealth Empire. She certainly doesn’t have the inclination to fall blindly at his feet. No, she has more important things on her mind – such as surviving special vaccination testing for the plague rampaging the globe. Whether it be through the draft or “voluntarily donated" by their owners, cyborgs from all over the world are being injected with letumosis in the hopes of finding a cure for the rest of humanity.

In Cinder Cyborgs are humans whom have been upgraded and given a second chance at life. For some reason, this makes them nothing more than property to average humans, and they are pretty much shunned from society. Even though this book was far from reality, I found some real life themes that could correlate to our time and our own prejudices. Prejudice runs rampant in the Eastern Commonwealth – if you were anything but human, you are lesser or even evil. If that isn’t bad enough, the entire Empire seems to be run on nothing but rumor. Nope, I couldn’t draw *any* comparisons at all to the real world. *snort*

I liked how Meyer introduced the attraction between Cinder and Kai, but doesn’t take it upon herself to rush the romance like in the original Cinderella story. Yes, they are clearly in lust, but nobody is spouting the “L” word and I am glad about that! The book spans at most a couple of weeks, and there was too much going on in both their lives for them to actually get to know each other. I’m thrilled to see where Meyer takes it in Scarlet, because she ended Cinder on a wicked cliffhanger that I did not see coming!

I found Cinder to be a cute dystopian tale with nail-biting scenes that had me on the edge of my seat reading through my hands over my eyes. I clicked with the characters – especially Iko! I kept imaging her as half android pet (Jetson-style), half R2D2 robotic gal pal – and the world-building was truly phenomenal. Cinder was heartfelt, romantic and funny, but ultimately a wild ride that I see myself re-visiting over and over.

Thanks for sticking around until the end! If you enjoyed this review, please consider voting for it on Amazon. <3
This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Feb 27, 2015 |
Book one of the Lunar chronicles is a future world spin on the Cinderella story. Lots of food for thought with the issues of technological advancement and an effective mixed-genre read.

ARlevel: 5.8 MG+
Lexile: 790 ( )
  liblb | Feb 21, 2015 |
Loved this book creatively based on the fairytale, Cinderella! Loved the way the author makes this book appealing to middle-grade, young adult and adult readers! If you love fairy tales, fantasy with a futuristic flair, this book and the others in the Lunar Chronicles series is for you! ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
Clearly a spin on Cinderella, Marissa Meyer's Cinder is a futuristic novel woven with fairy tales, science fiction, and politics. An immensely interesting read, Cinder is an absorbing introduction to the Lunar Chronicles. I was fascinated by the concept of cyborgs, androids, humans, and Lunars- all these different races of peoples living together... not so much in harmony though. I loved that Meyer didn't make that out to be a fairy tale- the hatred and disgust between races of humans is not far from the judgmental reality of our own society... I think it was a nice added touch to give the story more depth and open opportunity for very authentic conversation about judging others. The theme of Cinderella and the nasty stepmother / stepsister drama is there but it isn't overly done, which often happens in these new fairy tale twists. As someone who has loved Grimm's for ages, I was very pleased that Meyer just touched on some main points in the fairy tale instead of trying to rewrite the story... instead she wove the overall themes in with her own storyline. Characters were well developed and the creation of the world was also done well. Both aspects of the novel made for an engaging and fast paced read. Meyer created this whole new world and did a fantastic job describing it and bringing in minute details without killing the imagination of the reader.
As a whole, this book was consuming and thrilling. Mysteries at every turn, the reader is thrust into a world where nothing is quite as it seems. As I navigated my way through this story I found that I was cheering on Cinder and screaming at Levana, while I was torn between reactions for Kai. Any way you look at it though, I was totally invested in this book and the characters and their futures.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great new YA series to get in on. It is definitely for those looking for a new science fiction thriller with some real world scenarios. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

From Amazon.

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,780,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible