Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

4,1265311,218 (4.1)1 / 403
Member:brandileigh2003
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (525)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (528)
This is an interesting modern spin on Cinderella. Cinder is a known mechanic and because of her reputation, the Prince visits her to fix his android. Everything soon goes wrong when Cinder's step-sister contracts the plaque and Cinder is forced by her guardian step-mother to become a test subject. She begins to learn more and more about herself and is caught up in a love and political triangle.
  OliviaJacobson | Sep 30, 2016 |
Cinder ( )
  Calavari | Sep 28, 2016 |
Background: Cinder is a cyborg adopted by a strange family in New Beijing. She is responsible for the family income now that her father has died of a plague that is ravaging the country. Cinder works as a mechanic, one of the best, for her stepmother and two stepsisters; until one day when the Prince shows up to have work done on an Android. Now Cinder is starting to lead two lives and she is not sure how to balance them...maybe she will just run away.

Review: I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, yes I know almost everyone enjoyed it, but I am not really a sci-fi person and wasn't sure how I was going to feel about a childhood classic being made into a cyborg. I loved it, the story was unique compared to a normal Cinderella story. I think Cinder is strong and a great role model, not obsessing over a boy, but trying to protect her country and self.

I found that it was hard to listen to the audiobook at times while I was at work, it almost stressed me out. I wanted to kill the stepmother and one of the sisters, and the Lunar Queen for all being rude and self centered and witchy with a B.

Other than the fact that I wanted to kill these characters, Cinder, the Dr. and the Prince are all great to follow and I loved when they were all together in the story.

The plot was interesting and I could see where they were going but the ending still surprised the heck outta me, so overall great read/listen.

sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
I liked this book way more than I thought I would. I found the story and the futuristic world interesting and engaging. Probably more of a 3.5, but it gets the extra half point because of my low expectations. ( )
  klburnside | Sep 27, 2016 |
I got pretty sucked in to this book; so much so that it ended being a pretty interesting all-night read. The person that rec'd it said that you know the basic plot line but the interesting bit is how they're going to get there. I'd definitely agree, as that's what had me so into it. It's pretty good for a YA and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,254,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible