Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

3,4114741,584 (4.09)1 / 387
Member:brandileigh2003
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (469)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (472)

Originally posted here

A beautiful sci-fi twist on the classic fairytale.

Cinder resides in New Beijing, a place existing in a futuristic Earth, there has been four world wars and the whole planet is unified. Cinder is a cyborg, a human who has prosthetic high tech robotic parts, which makes her firmly a second class citizen. Just like Cinderella, Cinder has a stepmother and 2 stepsisters - a prince and a kingdom is also involved.

There are so many layers to this story, from the Letumosis plague, to the Lunars who reside on the moon, and an evil queen. The story just draws the reader in and it is just fascinating. I am left with so many questions after finishing this book, and in some ways I am glad there is still a lot of mystery. I want to pick up Scarlet almost immediately to find the answers.

Although New Beijing is really cool, I wish there were more descriptions of the appearance of the city and of the culture residing there. The culture and city is quite ethnically ambiguous, I think more could have been done to really flesh out the world building. I also guessed very quickly the major reveal at the end of the book, and I really would have preferred to have been shocked by the revelation.

As I finished the book though, those things did not really matter as I was so engrossed in the world of Cinder. I can't wait to continue the series as I am particularly motivated to learn more of the mysterious Lunars and the history of the colonisation of the moon.

Highly recommended. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Great dystopian take on Cinderella. Strong, positive heroine. Loved it!! ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
This is the first of a four-book series and a cyborgian take on "Cinderella." It takes a while to get going (much time spent setting the scene, the hi-tech environment and characters) but about halfway through, the story gets rolling thanks to the tension and suspense of the Lunar vs Earthen governments and Cinder's growing involvement with the Commonwealth Emperor's son. I guessed early on who Cinder really was, so it wasn't much of a surprise when it was revealed. Still, it sets up a very interesting premise for the rest of the series. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I was a little skeptical about a sci-fi retelling of Cinderella, but this book is actually pretty good. Made even better by the fact that Meyer makes this story her own—the Cinderella connections are there, but the book still stands on its own. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 1, 2016 |
As a part of the 2016 reading challenge I was to read a book that was based on a fairy tale.
Synopsis: Cinder is an excellent mechanic. As a cyborg, interactions with machines seems second nature to her. Her rather dull life is irrevocably changed when the crown prince arrives at her booth with an android he wants repaired. When she gets home, her step-sisters are trying on their dresses for the ball, but Cinder doesn't tell them she has met the prince. Unfortunately, before the girls get a chance to meet the prince, Peony, the youngest sister, contracts the plague and Cinder's evil step-mother gives Cinder to the researchers to use as a guinea pig. Cinder's body reveals many secrets to the doctor; this information ties her to the prince, the evil queen of Luna, and possibly to the cure for the plague.
Review: If you know the fairy tale you have a good idea of where the story is going. However, the twists in the tale foreshadow books 2 and 3 of the trilogy. While the dialog is good and language usage mirrors that of many young adults, the grammar gaffs in the narrative are distracting. ( )
  DrLed | Jan 29, 2016 |
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,078,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible