Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

3,9365111,305 (4.1)1 / 402
Member:brandileigh2003
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (508)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (511)
I was a little unsure if I would like this books... cyborgs seemed a little too robot to me and I've never had much of an interest in that. But I could not put this book down!!! So good and I can't wait to start reading Scarlet! I really want to know what happens with Cinder and Kai! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
And here is the conclusion of my thoughts on The Lunar Chronicles - an amazing series! Boy, I feel a little cheated by my own hands, because I wanted so long to read these. Because of the stories I read in Part 1 of my review of The Lunar Chronicles, I was readily prepared for the books in this review, Part 2. Each and every story tied in to perfection. I wonder how long it took her to write all of these. She's skilled- I wanna write like her when I grow up!
(The Lunar Chronicles banner was found on Google.com, but edited by me.)

Okay, so Cinder is when I began to see things tying together. All those short stories showed themselves in some way, shape or form here. This story was unbelievable! I was wowed from the very first chapter.

Cinder, no different than when she was introduced, is treated like the broken down step-child and sister, except to Peony. She's strong but weak, honest but secretive and shy because she knows she's different. And because if anyone found out she was cyborg, she'd be conscripted for medical research. Sadly, cyborgs never return from such a 'duty'. With this sword of damaclese hanging over her head, she's forced to live in fear, but she never loses her desire to be free.

The way Cinder is written, I felt like I was watching a movie. There was no fancy wording, making the tale poetic, it simply was. I love directness. I love story and I love action. this book held so much of all three, you couldn't do anything but thyrst for the follow up book! I also love the touch of Cinderella. Very clever, Ms. Meyer. Very clever indeed.
*For the complete review of the Lunar Chronicles: http://tinyurl.com/zoegr4c
**Book series is from my personal library. ( )
  AReneeHunt | Jul 19, 2016 |
In the future we will be united, united against the Lunars, the Lunars are always threatening us with war, then there is the plague that is decimating the planet - can anyone stop a war? - can anyone cure the plague.
Cinder is a dystopian retelling of Cinderella, with a nasty stepmother, a handsome prince and Cyborg named Cinder.
I enjoyed this book, it is so well written that I found myself really sympathetic with Cinder, not just because of her mean stepmother, but because although a cyborg, she really comes across more human than most of the other characters. She is a clever girl, who knows she is a second class citizen but wants and fights for more.
All the characters are well defined, there are laughs, love and tragedy, and underneath it all there is hope and what is a story without hope?
This is a great retelling, bringing Cinderella into the future with a bang.
If you haven’t read this book I would really advise that you give it a read ( )
  AndreaP_74 | Jul 11, 2016 |
Also posted on Silk & Serif

Why did I put Cinder off for so long?! I remember reading the synopsis and being really unexcited but I kept hearing SUCH GOOD THINGS. I kept thinking “I’ll probably like it, but I have all these other books that kind of seem more interesting so I’ll read those instead.” Time went on. I didn’t read Cinder. Seriously, I regret that decision now because I loved Cinder to bits. It’s unique, exciting and you don’t see the twists coming.

Cinder is a cyborg. A gifted mechanic, but nevertheless, a second class citizen because of her half-machine parts. She doesn’t remember anything before the accident that made her into what she is and cannot control her current fate as the stepchild of a woman who hates her. It’s her skills that bring Prince Kai and his secrets to her door, changing her life irrevocably. She is suddenly thrust into an intergalactic struggle, a forbidden romance and a past that she could never have imagined.

Cinder was amazingly creative with humans and androids living among one another. Androids are little more than technology made to help humans in their daily lives like a toaster or oven: useful, but nothing more than items to be owned. It makes a cyborg a complex problem: half human, half android. The law has deemed cyborgs as non-humans and property of their owners. Cyborgs have no rights, no homes and no family yet they are still human on the inside.

I loved that Cinder not only developed a fresh world that I haven’t seen before, but there were sociological issues hidden in the text. I think the number one reason why I loved Cinder is because it has so many undercurrents of social struggle. I loved the first two Hunger Games because it linked to modern social problems; reality tv, censorship and political control. The development of a culture that is both struggling with fast technological change and yet using it on a daily basis felt like a well placed nod to today’s society.

The struggles between humanity and machine in Cinder were exceptionally well done! I loved how Cinder was loved by human and an android making her part of both worlds in so many ways.

We find Cinder many years after a crash took away her rights to humanity and living with a family that adopted her after the operation. She flits through life as nothing more than an object, mistreated and undervalued. Her only friends are her sister Peony and Iko until one day Prince Kai comes along and drags her into dark palace politics. The romance is slow and well measured. We learn about Kai over time, there is absolutely no insta-love (hurray!) and Kai reacts realistically to Cinder’s mysterious past. I definitely felt the slow growth of the romance added suspense to the novel, but the real prize was learning about Cinder’s history and her future!

Seriously, if you have Cinder on your TBR list you need to read it. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and I hear the series only gets better after Cinder. Read it! You won’t be disappointed. ( )
  trigstarom | Jul 9, 2016 |
"Im sure ill feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on"

Cinder takes me back to those times in life when you used to watch fairy tale movies and not have a clue whats coming for you in life. Marissa Meyer did a bad-ass resemblance to Cinderella without overwhelming us with the cheesy ending. OFCOURSE, this debut novel is a monstrous of a cliff-hanger. But I mean who doesn't love a tease. This is book one out of 5 in the lunar chronicles and I can't begin to spill out to you guys how much I LOVE the fact that it has Sci-fi all up in it. If you can snuggle in bed to Enchanted (on netflix) wait till you get a grip of this.

The story is fit into futuristic New Beijing (So into the future they are apparently passed world war 5) The protoganist (main character) is a Cyborg which is half human half robot; who also has mechanical arms and legs. - see how the Cinderella demeanor portrays here. She is a talented mechanic who has an evil stepmother with two step sisters. Cinder as a youngin' had a really bad accident and unfortunately can't recall any of it. Primarily in the book, she meets the very expected prince Kai who asks her to fix a privy android. Since cyborgs are treated as second hand citizens in this town, she hides her selfhood from Kai; Not that it matters because as all smart women do Cinder plays hard to get and of course that drives kai mad.

With every good book there is a quandary we are all willingly hoping for. Throughout this novel a plague is taking place, who not only assassinates the king who leaves prince kai in charge but Cinders amiable step sister. Hell broke loose at cinders home and her already evil step mother turns into her own self but on a couple dosages of steroid. Since cinder was with her step sister when she got infected by the virus, Adri (step mother) compelled cinder as research for the plague. Followed by a risky injection Cinder is completely immune to it. As Dr. Erland continues with his research he finds out something about Cinder that will change her life forever.

Something I truly enjoyed about this version of Cinderella is that we actually get to know the prince just as good as we do of Cinder. Like I mentioned, Prince Kai's father passes away and leaves Kai as emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth. With every good book there is an evil twist to it and in this one is Queen Levana *cough queen le-bitch cough* who lives in the moon colony. The lunars have the ability the bioelectricity of people surrounding them and make them see what they want them to see. *gets chills * if that isn't freaky well then.. There has always been pressure to make an alliance because the only way to fall through is if prince kai marries Queen Levana. Only way to avoid this is if he marries somebody else first along those higher authorities. His hope is to find princess Selene who has been lost for years since she was taken to earth in secret, where she was protected by transforming into cyborg.

~ In the end there was a ball and lets just say all bad things don't really come to an end here. Things get really spicy and I just rather you find out for yourself.

Couple things I fond for in this book are/is:

The politics
zero dragging of the plot
clear image of the characters and world
the emotions (which btw cinder is incapable of showing)
advanced mechanics
cinders personality and the fact that she can literally google anything on the spot
queen levana and her damn evil self.
Iko hes so damn cute. (cinders friend) I picture him like wall-e btw
prince kai and how humble he is set out to be
Hope you all truly consider in picking up this novel with the rest of them. Waiting on my birthday to pick up Scarlet which entails little red riding hood. CANT WAIT ( )
  Etherealbooking | Jun 27, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,480,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible