Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer

3,6924911,423 (4.1)1 / 394
Member:brandileigh2003
Title:Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:Square Fish (2013), Paperback, 448 pages

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Rozax)
    Rozax: Protagonist is relegated to third-class citizenship because of her gifts and must overcome prejudice.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (MyriadBooks)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn (MyriadBooks)

English (490)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (493)
A very charming sci-fi story with a Cinderella story imbedded in it. Earthens have survived world war 3 & 4, and a colony was built on the moon. The lunars are ruled by a controlling and ruthless queen. The Eastern Commonwealth, where Cinder lives, tries to broker a peace agreement with Luna. Cinder lives in a home with a wicked adopted mother and two stepsisters. She loves the younger one, but despises the older one. Meyer skillfully weaves the sci-fi and Cinderella stories together into a fascinating tale. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
A futuristic re-imagining of Cinderella in which the protagonist is part android. Good for grades 6 and up. Recommend for students who enjoy speculative fiction and/or retellings of fairy tales. May particularly appeal to girls. ( )
  KristineCA | Apr 26, 2016 |
WOW. Cinder is amazing it takes an old fairy tale and reignites it again. I love Sci-Fi/dystopian and this book definitely fits into those categories. An excellent read. I love Marissa Meyer. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Surprising

I picked Cinder up as a light and fluffy read for the weekend, not really expecting much other than some simple entertainment. However, I was rather surprised once I started reading! This was a truly clever and original re-imagination of the Cinderella story, with a depth of struggle and emotion that I did not expect.

There were some glitches with the setting and cultural references. I am not exactly sure if the author was trying to emphasise that New Beijing is a mixed society by shuffling honourifics and suchlike, or just didn't quite understand the depths she was diving into by taking on the Eastern cultures, but if you are happy to focus on the main storyline rather than the technicalities, it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Some of the characters were a bit flimsy, and it made Cinder's connections to them somewhat shallow and slightly unconvincing. But here's my tip, forget about them. Realise they are there to advance the story, shove them to the periphery, and focus on Cinder herself. Her metal parts might be dull, but she is uniquely shiny for a teenage protagonist and even though her situation is unique, she will be totally relatable to those that have ever felt lost in life by situations out of their control.

Cinder has enough chutzpah that she isn't a pushover, but still garners enough vulnerability to allow a connection to the reader. She isn't all snark and bravado, which can sometimes alienate a reader (well me anyway), and I appreciated her story more for it. The connection to the prince wasn't instalove, which made me deliriously happy. She was respectfully swoony, but there were no advanced make out sessions or total abandonment of sense because of their connection. She was able to stand on her own two feet without him, and didn't spend 3/4 of the book waxing lyrical about his virtues at every turn. It was realistic crushing, so it didn't make me throw my kindle across the room in despair of it.

The moments spent with Prince Kai were also pretty well developed. Not just a pretty face, but a teenager thrown into a maelstrom that most adults would have a breakdown over, displaying his strengths and weaknesses well. It probably could've been given a bit more depth to bolster his character, but overall I was pleased he was more than just a handsome love interest.

The connections to the original Cinderella were well worked and savvy, and I don't think it would be too presumptuous to think that the Lunar series will maintain that integrity throughout the storylines (currently including Scarlett- red riding hood, Cress- Rapunzel, Fairest -soon to be released and Winter- Snow White, future release).

If you like fairytale reimagining, Sci-fi cyborgs, dystopian futures or simply a good YA read, Cinder is definitely worth a look! And I will definitely be checking out Scarlett soon!

BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |

BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague decimates the population of New Beijing, but when Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.

AR level 5.8, 12 pts

As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 6,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible