Death of a Unicorn by Peter Dickinson

Death of a Unicorn (1984)

by Peter Dickinson

1984 (2) 2010 (1) 2013 (1) 20th century (1) 80s (1) authors (1) Box 26 (1) Britain (1) British (3) crime (6) ebook (3) England (2) fiction (15) hardcover (1) lore (1) love (1) mystery (27) non-fiction (1) novel (2) novelists (1) owned (1) paper (1) paperback mystery (1) pb (1) psychological (1) reprint (1) suspense (1) to-read (2) unread (1) writing (1)

Plot: 2 stars
Characters: 2 1/2 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 2 1/2 stars

I knew the streak of amazing books had to end.
I'd picked a bunch of random paperbacks off my TBR shelf to take to work with me, and I figured I'd read this one first. There were bits I started to like, but it's far more a character study in shallow 1950s bubblebrains than anything resembling a coherent narrative. The structure on this one was strange as well, leaping forward abruptly, and getting lost in side paths. I probably would give it 2 stars, but for the fact that there was something almost voyeuristic about it all, and that curiosity kept me reading. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Lady Margaret Millett has been brought up as the heir to Cheadle, an enormous stately home that requires large and regular infusions of cash. But for a year in her twenties, the happiest of her life, Margaret writes for a magazine, a rival to Punch, and falls in love with the owner, the mysterious B.

Thirty years later, after a visit from an old colleague, Margaret resolves to make sense of the tragic events that ended her life with B.

Not bad, but the characters are two-dimensional. ( )
  pamelad | Dec 4, 2010 |

6 avail.1 pay

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible