Hunting the Hunter by Shiloh Walker

Hunting the Hunter

by Shiloh Walker

I found Shiloh Walker through Lynn Viehl. In one of her many give-aways I won a large stack of books, which included Through the Veil by Ms. Walker. It took me a while to read this book, but when I did I loved it and went looking for more.

That “more” was the Hunter series. I’ve read the first (Declan & Tori’s story) and now the seventh (? or whatever HTH is) of these books. They’re good. I must say, they’re rather different from each other, but they’re good.

The Hunter series started out as erotica, published in ebook format by Ellora’s Cave. It has become more mainstream since, and been picked up by traditional print publishers, but still shows its roots. I don’t really have anything against steamy scenes, though for me they have to be really well written to be good — it’s too easy for them to become formulaic or laughable.

Hunting the Hunter is well written, and though it’s not the best new book I’ve read this year (Through the Veil was better, I thought) it was certainly enjoyable. Enough so that I knew before I finished it that I wanted Hunter’s Need (newly released in the series).

Very enjoyable book. But, you must be prepared for a vampire romance, in which the characters spend a lot of time in bed (even for a romance). ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 6, 2010 |
Hunting the Hunter takes place in a world that is our world, with vampires and shapeshifters thrown in. I trust that we'll discover more about the various supernatural types and the Hunter organization as the series progresses. There was enough worldbuilding in this book for it to make sense to me, and that's all I needed.

At the beginning of the book, hero Kane and his friend Duke, a shapeshifing big cat, are bounty hunters. In the process of taking down a drug dealer, they're attacked by vampires, and the last thing Kane remembers is Duke bleeding to death and a female vampire psychically knocking him out.

From then on, Kane's goal in life is to avenge Duke's death by hunting vampires. Then he meets Kendall, and discovers that the vampire he thought had killed Duke is actually a Hunter, and that there's another danger out there they'll have to work together to overcome.

The characters are interesting and complex, and there was a realism to them beyond the lone-hunter stereotype. It was unusual to have a vampire heroine and human hero, but the power difference was balanced somewhat by Kane's partial immunity to vampire mind-control.

I'll be looking forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  Darla | Dec 1, 2008 |
this was the first book i've ever read by shiloh walker, but there are about five or six books before this one in this series.
i was very surprised at how much i liked it. i recommend it to everyone. :)) ( )
  trqsmr | Jun 23, 2008 |
As an example of a vampire romance this isn't a bad one. However it has it's serious flaws. It meanders a lot and has issues with focus, jumping around the place instead of getting to the point. It's not a bad read, but it's not the best thing I've read and although I'd recommend it, I wouldn't wax too enthusiastic about it.

Kane, the hero, is an interesting character. Kendall is not a mint cake but the female lead, a vampire. She's a hunter and teamed with Kane's ex-partner Duke. A were-cat that Kane is certain is dead. Both Duke and Kendall are Hunters, people who police the supernatural community. The best character is Agnes, a 500 year old witch, although I'm not sure that she isn't an out for more solid plotting.

Yes, it's not the greatest reads but it earned an extra half point for keeping me up to finish it! ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Aug 21, 2007 |
It's the sort of book I like but I couldn't get into it, kept putting it down and forgetting about it. Ultimately couldn't hold my attention. Didn't finish it. ( )
  amf0001 | Jan 11, 2007 |
To my family, always

Mom, thanks for believing in me.

Jerry, thanks for being you. and to my babies-
I love you all so much.

A special thank-you to the people who helped
while I wrote this-
Angie H.
Valerie P.
Jeff S. via his wife, Shannon
Phillip P. via his wife, Jamie.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
It was hotter than hell.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425211002, Mass Market Paperback)

THE HUNTER
After two years, Kane Winter still doesn’t know what really happened the night his bounty hunting partner was murdered. What he does know is that there was a mysterious woman at the scene, and he won’t rest until he finds her...

THE PREY
Kendall is accustomed to vampire games. After all, she is one herself—part of an elite group of warriors who keep the other vamps in line by destroying the ones who prey on the weak and innocent. But now she’s the one being stalked...

THE PASSION
When all trails lead to Kendall, Kane is consumed by a desire greater than vengeance—a hunger to possess this woman for himself. Together, they will travel down a dangerous path of seduction and surrender, until there are no rules left to break—and nowhere left to hide...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:28 -0400)

Bounty hunter Kane Winter has spent two years looking for the mysterious woman who was there when his partner was killed. But when the hunted turns out to be a seductive vampire, Kane is consumed by a desire greater than vengeance-a hunger to possess this woman for himself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,754,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible