A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel…

A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Beth Revis

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 386 pages
Rating:*****

A Million Suns by Beth Revis (2012)

Awesome! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Across the Universe series. It picks up 3 months after Amy has been woken from her cryo chamber, and shows the way life has changed on Godspeed now that Elder has taken over as leader and the people are no longer controlled by the chemical Phydus.

This was a good continuation to the series. Orion sends Amy and Elder on a wild goose chase, tracking down clues that will lead to the duo's decision of whether to land Godspeed on Centauri-Earth. At the same time, rebellion takes over Godspeed, med patch overdoses occur, and someone is killing in the name of the "leader." ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
This is second book in the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis. I really enjoyed Across the Universe and this book was even better than the first one. Revis just writes in such a way that the book is impossible to put down and you are constantly broadsided by secrets and surprises.

It’s been three months since Amy was unplugged. Elder has stopped the distribution of Phydus to the ship and is letting people think for themselves again. However, the unrest on the ship is growing...food production is declining and the survival of the whole ship is at stake. Then Elder uncovers some more astonishing secrets that will change the whole fate of the ship, Godspeed.

This series has been so easy to read and so engaging, it is just impossible to put down. I love the way there are so many surprises and twists throughout the book, none of them seem contrived, and all of them have me gaping and thinking “OMG, no….REALLY!?” I felt like a little kid, constantly wide-eyed and surprised by each thing that happened!

The characters continue to be very engaging. There are a lot of social issues going on here. One of the primary ones is how do you motivate people to work when they have no incentive and don’t understand survival? When the Phydus is stopped you have a lot of people doing things that they don’t want to do or that they aren’t good at doing. It is pretty much chaos as society tries to reorganize itself. There is also the issue of law enforcement and how to set up laws and the structure to enforce them without turning society into a dictatorship. It’s interesting to watch an absolutely ignorant society of people struggle through this.

I liked that both Amy and Elder (especially Elder) made a lot of mistakes. Elder is an idealist and has a lot of trouble understanding how people can be evil and not help each other. You see his ignorance a lot as he struggles to figure out how to rule this new society. He has a lot of growing to do as a leader and you do see him make some good progress in this book. You also see Amy’s ugly side here too; she makes some very selfish and blind decisions.

The book stops in an excellent spot and I am super curious to see what happens next.

Overall I loved this science fiction dystopian thriller. It is an incredibly engaging story that is hard to put down. I thought the society and how it crumbled was fascinating. I love the characters and enjoy their flaws just as much as their strengths. This is such an engaging read I highly recommend it to all young adult science fiction fans. This is one of the best YA sci-fi series I have read. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 20, 2014 |
We pick up where we left off at the end of [b:Across the Universe|8235178|Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)|Beth Revis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1401852218s/8235178.jpg|13082532]. Elder is now running things on Godspeed, and Amy is struggling to accept her life onboard now that she has been unfrozen a few months. Elder and Amy stumble upon a big, big secret, and it changes the lives of everyone aboard. Decisions must be made, but at what cost?

Part sci-fi, part teen angst, part political exploration, book 2 is action-packed. The people on board now have free will, and many struggle with it after a lifetime of control. Rebellions, deceptions, and deaths are happening throughout. And you are left at the end waiting to see how it all will conclude in the final book.

I am definitely enjoying the storyline in this series, but I don't feel emotionally connected to any of the characters. I want to better understand the motivations and feelings in both Amy and Elder. The chapters are from their first-person POV, and we could go so much deeper. We could have better insights into the inner struggles of both main characters, but we don't. Still, it's an entertaining story, just lacking in character depth, keeping it in solid 3-star territory. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
3.5 stars. I like the premise of the series and it seemed to move and progress fine. But I really don't want to see the words chutz and frex again. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"This isn't going to be easy," I mutter, staring at the solid metal door that leads to the Engine Room on the Shipper Level of Godspeed.

When Elder discovers shocking news about Godspeed, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on the space ship. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,462,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible