A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel…

A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Beth Revis

Title:A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 386 pages

A Million Suns by Beth Revis (2012)

For more reviews go to: http://best-of-ya.blogspot.com/

With Eldest gone, it is up to Elder to lead the the people of Godspeed as they (hopefully) continue their journey to Centauri-Earth. But without Phydus this proves extremely difficult. With everyone finally thinking for themselves, chaos ensues and Elder has to find a way to not only get people back to work to ensure everyone has enough to eat, but he also has to deal with a death count that is swiftly rising and figure out how to stop a mutiny. And if all of that wasn’t difficult enough for a sixteen-year-old to handle, he discovers a startling secret about the engine that has been kept since the Plague. His only hope at fixing this new problem comes in the form of a video message left for Amy by Orion. Orion hints at an even scarier secret and a decision that must be made about it, one he feels only Amy can make. Using clues left by Orion himself, Amy and Elder try to figure out what to do before everyone on board tears the ship apart.

A Million Suns is the second book in the Across the Universe trilogy by Beth Revis. Since this is a sequel, I won’t go into too much detail because I definitely don’t want to ruin this for anybody. This book was action packed from the beginning and, once again, I could not put it down! I didn’t think there would be too much information we didn’t already know about Godspeed since A LOT was revealed in the first book, but I could not have been more wrong. The secrets that have been kept on that ship for centuries is astonishing. But it’s easy to see how no one ever found out the truth since 90% of the ship was drugged out of their minds for just as long. I love being shocked and this book definitely did that over and over again.

I really liked Amy in the first book, but in this one she got on my last nerve. She is super selfish and bossy and gets mad at Elder if he doesn’t do what she wants. He tries to make decisions that will make everyone on board happy and will help them survive because that is his job and what he has been preparing for his whole life. It’s hard for her to understand these decisions sometimes because she grew up in a completely different environment with different people and a different type of government. Because of this, she feels that his decisions aren’t right for the people of Godspeed even though he knows them better than anyone. Granted he is young and impulsive and may not always know exactly what to do, but she should have trusted and believed in him like she constantly says she does. I think he does the right thing at the end even if Amy thinks he is crazy for letting it happen. ( )
  joanab951 | Nov 2, 2015 |
Well, that was excellent. Significantly better than the first one. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
Awesome! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Across the Universe series. It picks up 3 months after Amy has been woken from her cryo chamber, and shows the way life has changed on Godspeed now that Elder has taken over as leader and the people are no longer controlled by the chemical Phydus.

This was a good continuation to the series. Orion sends Amy and Elder on a wild goose chase, tracking down clues that will lead to the duo's decision of whether to land Godspeed on Centauri-Earth. At the same time, rebellion takes over Godspeed, med patch overdoses occur, and someone is killing in the name of the "leader." ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
This is second book in the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis. I really enjoyed Across the Universe and this book was even better than the first one. Revis just writes in such a way that the book is impossible to put down and you are constantly broadsided by secrets and surprises.

It’s been three months since Amy was unplugged. Elder has stopped the distribution of Phydus to the ship and is letting people think for themselves again. However, the unrest on the ship is growing...food production is declining and the survival of the whole ship is at stake. Then Elder uncovers some more astonishing secrets that will change the whole fate of the ship, Godspeed.

This series has been so easy to read and so engaging, it is just impossible to put down. I love the way there are so many surprises and twists throughout the book, none of them seem contrived, and all of them have me gaping and thinking “OMG, no….REALLY!?” I felt like a little kid, constantly wide-eyed and surprised by each thing that happened!

The characters continue to be very engaging. There are a lot of social issues going on here. One of the primary ones is how do you motivate people to work when they have no incentive and don’t understand survival? When the Phydus is stopped you have a lot of people doing things that they don’t want to do or that they aren’t good at doing. It is pretty much chaos as society tries to reorganize itself. There is also the issue of law enforcement and how to set up laws and the structure to enforce them without turning society into a dictatorship. It’s interesting to watch an absolutely ignorant society of people struggle through this.

I liked that both Amy and Elder (especially Elder) made a lot of mistakes. Elder is an idealist and has a lot of trouble understanding how people can be evil and not help each other. You see his ignorance a lot as he struggles to figure out how to rule this new society. He has a lot of growing to do as a leader and you do see him make some good progress in this book. You also see Amy’s ugly side here too; she makes some very selfish and blind decisions.

The book stops in an excellent spot and I am super curious to see what happens next.

Overall I loved this science fiction dystopian thriller. It is an incredibly engaging story that is hard to put down. I thought the society and how it crumbled was fascinating. I love the characters and enjoy their flaws just as much as their strengths. This is such an engaging read I highly recommend it to all young adult science fiction fans. This is one of the best YA sci-fi series I have read. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 20, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"This isn't going to be easy," I mutter, staring at the solid metal door that leads to the Engine Room on the Shipper Level of Godspeed.

When Elder discovers shocking news about Godspeed, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on the space ship. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible