A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel…

A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Beth Revis

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 386 pages
Rating:*****

A Million Suns by Beth Revis (2012)

So Close, Yet So Far Away -4.5 stars...

A Million Suns is the follow up to Revis' first book, Across the Universe. Godspeed has a new leader, Elder. With the help of clues left behind by Orion, Amy and Elder are working to unravel all the secrets and lies the previous leader, Eldest, has tried hiding for so long. The ship is in chaos though because the residents have lived so long being mind-controlled that, that's all they really know. A lot of the residents want to keep the old ways and live on the ship forever, others however, including Amy, who has seen what real stars, grass and the sun is like and knows that there's more to life outside the walls of Godspeed, want off the ship. Someone else though, has different plans and is working against Elder and Amy, using any means necessary, to try and stop them from reaching Centauri-Earth.

I really liked the way this story was laid out like a scavenger hunt, with Amy and Elder having to solve one clue to the next to learn the big secrets behind Godspeed. It was like one big adventure and a lot of fun trying to solve the puzzles. I actually enjoyed this book more then the first because it just wasn't as frexing weird. Their word not mine. : )   ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I stumbled across this as a free audiobook, and grabbed it because I wanted to have something to listen to on my commutes instead of the depressing world news. I knew nothing about the book or author beforehand. What I know now is that it is the middle book of a trilogy, and would likely fall into the category of YA literature (its narrator-protagonists both being late teens).

And what did this 64-year-old male reader think?

Not bad. I had to suspend belief a little more than I have to, even for science fiction books. I couldn't figure out, for instance, how the Godspeed, the giant colonizing spaceship that provides the setting for the book could have realistically worked. There were other niggling details too, but I set them aside for the sake of the story.

As for the narrative, it had problems too. The ship is in danger, discovered to be stopped in space, halted on its journey to its destination. Generations have come and gone on the ship, which is itself aging, and there's a question how long it may last given its decrepitude. One shipmate knows a big secret to the mystery behind everything, but he's been put in a cryochamber because of violent behavior. Yet before being frozen, he's planted clues for one of our heroes, so in tracking them down she may find the answer herself.

This is a contrivance with which I have many problems. The clues are obscure. And while the person who planted them may have possessed a puzzler's cleverness to invent them, he had no assurance that the one for whom he left them would be similarly clever. And somehow he had time to plant these clues around when he knew himself was to be hunted? And given that he believed the fate of the entire ship was dependent on the mystery being solved, he risked making discovery of the answer so difficult?

As it turns out, as our hero is hunting the clues, a saboteur is also afoot trying to undermine the outcome. But when this miscreant is unmasked, I found the denouement, while melodramatic, pretty disappointing.

Still, listening to the audiobook made my commute entertaining. Maybe it was because of its format. If I were reading this story from the page, I might not have had the same patience. The two readers who inhabited the characters as they narrated the book brought feeling, and did their jobs well.

In fact, they did well enough that they left me curious as to what the fate of the colonizers of Godspeed might be in the third part of the trilogy. Maybe if I can get a deal on the audiobook version of Part 3, I just might use it to entertain myself during some future commutes. ( )
  kvrfan | Aug 19, 2016 |
This book was as good as the first one. I’ve always wondered what would happen if we decided to find another planet in case we kill this one or something happens like the moon moves out of orbit and changes the tides. The story continues with what is happening on Godspeed. Amy and Elder/Eldest fight to figure out a way to make sure they are on track to arrive at Centauri-Earth even though they appear to be hundreds of years behind schedule and possibly never reach Centauri-Earth. I won’t give away what happens but this is a nice continuation to the first of the trilogy. Looking forward to see what happens in the conclusion. This is an enjoyable young adult series. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
It's hard to believe this was written by the same author as "Across the Universe." Not as interesting, very slow, had to force myself to finish it. So disappointed . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Too good. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"This isn't going to be easy," I mutter, staring at the solid metal door that leads to the Engine Room on the Shipper Level of Godspeed.

When Elder discovers shocking news about Godspeed, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on the space ship. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,362,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible