A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel…

A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Beth Revis

516None20,217 (4.07)17
Member:Bookswithbite
Title:A Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 386 pages
Rating:*****

A Million Suns by Beth Revis (2012)

2012 (9) 2013 (6) Across the Universe (9) adventure (4) dystopia (18) dystopian (13) ebook (5) fantasy (5) fiction (18) Leadership (4) love story (6) mystery (15) read (5) read in 2012 (8) read in 2013 (4) rebellion (5) romance (20) science fiction (70) series (12) sf (4) signed (5) space (9) space travel (19) survival (4) suspense (4) teen (13) to-read (48) unread (4) YA (29) young adult (37)

This book was so good. I didn't think that Across the Universe could be improved upon, but this book kept up the great pacing, the brilliant story. I just loved it.

Full review on my website, www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I have been eagerly awaiting this book for a year, since reading Across the Universe. Despite being a Sci-Fi novice, the tension, danger, and the characters made for an unforgettable read, and I hoped the sequel would be just as good. If anything A Million Suns is even better than the first book, and managed to surprise me multiple times with the direction it took. It felt like there was never a dull moment in this suspenseful sequel.

Amy and Elder narrate A Million Suns through alternating POV. The dual narration works well as we learn different aspects about the ship’s mysteries in their day-to-day explorations. Elder is especially interesting in this book, as he tries to find his footing as Godspeed’s youngest leader. Now that the inhabitants of Godspeed are off of the sedative Phydus, they are more unpredictable and questioning of the inexperienced Elder, setting the stage for an uprising. Amy also has an important role to play as Orion left her some important clues about the ship to find, in the hopes that she can set things right. A murder mystery also keeps the inhabitants on their toes as one of the many challenges these characters face.

This series is not all about the romance, but there is some progression there. Amy is questioning whether she is drawn to Elder because he is the only boy her age on the ship, or if it is meant to be.

The book is well written and had me completely absorbed in the story. Beth Revis sets the tone so you feel the tension and cabin fever as if you were stuck on the spaceship with them. The chapters are short and fast paced and just when Amy or Elder gets a lead on something the chapter teasingly cuts to the other narrator.

This is the first of the series that I’ve experienced in audiobook format, and I think it works very well. As Elder, Lucas Salvagno is a perfect fit and conveys Elder’s state of mind realistically. Elder’s frustrations and worries all come through the reading. As Amy, Tara Carrozza is also convincing with the character, and Amy’s strength and maturity is clear in her voice. She also does well with the other character voice nuances. This audio recording is one of the reasons I like audiobooks in general because it really makes the book come alive and like you are right there in the action.

The second book in the A Million Suns trilogy is a suspenseful thrill ride and I can’t wait to find out what Beth Revis has up her sleeve for the final book. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
I just have to say...I am always a fan of trilogies, dystopia, and futuristic stories. Across the Universe is a new favorite of mine. A Million Suns had a hard lead to follow. While it did struggle to keep up with the greatness of its predecessor it held its own. ( )
  Hopetoread | Dec 6, 2013 |
Revis fires on all cylinders here. An absolute dream of a book. I love that she's unafraid to have characters meditate on the nature of power and of leadership. I really liked the hunt for clues, and the big reveal blew me away. The generation ship space opera hasn't been good in decades, but Revis breathes wonderful life into it. HIGHLY recommended. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
The first cover of Across the Universe was absolutely breathtaking, and the sequel's cover doesn't disappoint. It's absolutely mesmerizing. A Million Suns starts off a little slow and is harder to follow than the first book but as I get towards the middle, it starts to pick up. Elder is struggling to be a leader, trying to find his place...while Amy is wondering when she can unfreeze her parents and how to react to what's all going on in the ship. Amy is left a series of clues from Orion, telling her that she needs to make a choice.

Throughout the book, Amy kept doubting her feelings for Elder, saying if she had a choice she might not have picked Elder. Um..it's like she kept going back to the past and not the present. Ever realize there's a reason you met Elder and not some boy from Earth, Amy? Also, it bothered me how she kept mentioning her ex-boyfriend, Jason. It's like she didn't have any memories on Earth except with him. It made me feel bad for Elder to think that Amy was leading him on a bit without even knowing what she really wanted. Amy never seemed to be able to realize that there was a reason Elder woke her up on Godspeed. It was like she could never see Elder was so great and right in front of her. Not Jason or "any other guy on earth" but Elder. Of course she does FINALLY realize this towards the end of the book when she almost loses him...not once, but twice. Guess that really gets you to access your feelings, huh?

So..on to Elder, I admired him greatly in this book, he tried his hardest to be a leader. He really wanted everyone to accept him and he wanted to do what was right. And of course, there were so many to oppose him. It was so heartbreaking to see how hard he was trying, and see how many people wanted him to fail. Speaking of all who wanted to see him fail, talk about the villains. There was mutiny left and right. But.. I suppose it was because of all the tension and uncertainty since Orion was frozen and Eldest was killed. So many things were going wrong, and it became utter confusion. No one could trust in Elder as a leader..and so they all turned against him. If I could describe what all happens aboard Godspeed in this book I would say: Chaos. All in all, this was a good sequel and I look forward to reading Shades of Earth. ( )
  alexis909 | Oct 5, 2013 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"This isn't going to be easy," I mutter, staring at the solid metal door that leads to the Engine Room on the Shipper Level of Godspeed.

When Elder discovers shocking news about Godspeed, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on the space ship. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible