Indecent Exposure by Tom Sharpe

Indecent Exposure (original 1973; edition 1974)

by Tom Sharpe

Series: Piemburg (2)

Member:justjim
Title:Indecent Exposure
Authors:Tom Sharpe
Info:Pan Books (1974), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:Booktown(08), Humour, Africa

Indecent Exposure by Tom Sharpe (1973)

Tom Sharpe's second South African novel and a brilliant follow- up to Riotous Assembly Once again the setting is Piemburgem, the deceptively peaceful- looking capital of Zululand, where Kommandant van Heerden, Konstabel Els and Luitenant Vekramp continue to terrorise true Englishman and even truer Zulus in their relentless search for a perfect South Africa. While that great Anglophile, Kommandant van Heerden, gropes his way towards attaining true 'Englishness' in the company of the eccentric Dornford Yates Club, Luitenant Verkramp, whose hatred of all things English is surpassed only by his fear of sex, sets in motion an experiment in mass chastity, with the help of the redoubtable lady psychiatrist Dr von Blimenstein, which has remarkable and quite unforeseen results. The Kommandant, hunting the fox in the Aardvark mountains, succumbs to the bizarre charms of Mrs Heathcote- Kilkoon, as Luitenant Verkramp's essays in counter- espionage backfire in the bird sanctuary. Once more, Konstabel Els, homicidal to the last, saves the day- or what's left of it- in one of the most savage hunts ever chronicled in fiction.
1 vote Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

I managed to sneak copy of this adult book from my library as a child. It deals with sex, race and politics in an hilariously comic but intelligent fashion, that is only remotely suitable for adults and thinking of it makes me thank god that I don't have children so I don't have the moral conundrum of how to introduce them to the first book that made me want to read, when they really shouldn't be within a mile of it...

But for adults with a love of black humour you should already own this, along with the rest of the authors works.

1 vote Hubster | May 12, 2013 |

Hubster | May 12, 2013 |
Des policiers blancs livrés à la paranoïa ou à leurs obsessions sexuelles, des colons anglais qui rêvent d'un passé révolu, des beautés locales qui ne doivent un salut relatif qu'à la vitesse de leurs jolies jambes, tout ce beau monde exécute, grâce à Tom Sharpe, une gigue endiablée. Inspiré par dix ans passés en Afrique du Sud, il déchaîne son humour dévastateur sur le thème de l'apartheid. Après Mêlée ouverte au Zoulouland, il persiste et signe ce second opus encore plus déjanté... encore plus Sharpe !
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
Published in 1973, this is a farcical story of indiscretion, sex, blackmail, racism (both white on black and European on Afrikkan/Boer), all centering around the South Africn Police Department. Also rather satirical now when read with perfect post-aparteid hindsight. A bit tiring to read sometimes though - it seems like Sharpe was trying just a little too hard once in while to be funny
  nordie | Mar 19, 2010 |

A blazing satire of South African apartheid, Indecent Exposure is Tom Sharpe's brilliant follow-up to his Riotous Assembly. Once again the setting is Piemburg, the deceptively peaceful looking capital of Zululand, where Kommandant van Heerden, Konstabel Els, and Luitenant Verkramp continue to terrorize true Englishmen and even truer Zulus in their relentless search for a perfect South Africa.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:52 -0400)

Bitter experience teaches Lieutenant Verkramp that a nympho psychiatrist, shock therapy treatment and exploding ostriches are not the ideal cure for disgusting 'anti-social tendencies' as practised by many of his subordinate police officers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,009,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible