Combined Operations: The Official Story of…

Combined Operations: The Official Story of the Commandos (1943)

by Vice-Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten

Other authors: Louis Mountbatten (Foreword), Evelyn Waugh (Introduction)

I have not read this book yet. The following is based upon the dust jacket and briefly skimming the book.

When I ordered this book, the seller said that the dust jacket wasn't included. For this I am thankful, for although the dust jacket was included, it is falling apart. It looks so decrepit that I'm almost afraid to touch it.

The book was published during the war (World War II, 1943). I believe that the dust jacket may have been printed after the war. The part by Evelyn Waugh, states it is 'From the Book-of-the-Month Club News'. The book doesn't identify the author, but the dust jacket does, in a very well written item by Evelyn. I enjoyed her/his writing very much, and I look forward to reading Mr. Saunders' full book, when the time is right. I'm so glad that the dust jacket was included.

As may be gleaned from the title, this book is an official history (not a memoir or biography), about the Combined Operations Command and the British Commandos during World War II. It is well illustrated, with drawings, maps and charts. Also, it is significant that this book was written before the end of the war. As it mentions, more operations were expected to occur and the success of the operations described was mostly an unknown. Combined operations included 'men from the Royal Navy, the British Army and the Royal Air Force, who worked with U.S. Rangers and others of the United nations.' The other Allies included 'the Czechs, the Poles, the Norwegians, the Dutch, the Belgians, the Fighting French.'
  TChesney | Sep 9, 2010 |

Vice-Admiral Lord Louis Mountbattenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mountbatten, LouisForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waugh, EvelynIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
A little before dawn on the 27th December, 1941, a force of His Majesty's ships was moving through the calm waters of a Norwegian fjord. In the van was a 6-inch cruiser.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,258,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible