How to Pass Exams: Accelerate Your Learning,…

How to Pass Exams: Accelerate Your Learning, Memorise Key Facts, Revise…

by Dominic O'Brien

early years (1) education (1) exams (1) memory (2) mind (1) NB (1) non-fiction (3) read (1) reference (1) self-help (4) strategy (1) study (1) study skills (2) teaching (1) thinking (1) want (1) work (1)

This is a great book - not just for students but for anyone wanting to improve their memory, mental organisation and recall skills.
The journey and loci aspects are the strongest points but I was already familiar with these. I was initially disappointed because I thought that some of the great ideas in this have been ripped off by other authors but on reflection perhaps none of these techniques can be claimed to be "owned" by any one person. I tried the master number memory system for a while but found memorising numbers this way too time-consuming. I'm hoping the PAO (person action object) approach will work better for me. Overall I prefer the approach of Oddbjorn By in "Memo" for memorising sets of dates but I found the last chapter of this book very clever and useful for smarter mathematical shortcuts. ( )
  wodfest | Feb 1, 2012 |
I am rubbish at exams (I'm 33 so I've sat a few in my lifetime!!) but this booked helped me pass some recent exams that I'd previously failed. I used the tips/tricks and it worked.

Someone feeling cynical will tell me it was just I was more confident the second time round. I disagree; I revised in a different way all because of this book. I've used it since in other areas - such as remembering pupil's names at work etc.

Other books may well have the information I need but I felt this style of writing was good and I have improved my speed reading from this book and this book alone!

Very easy to understand, very easy to use. This book will never leave my bookshelf! ( )
1 vote SmithSJ01 | Mar 23, 2008 |
When I first got it I couldn't put it down because it was so intriguing. It certaintly gives you the ability to remember things in a way you couldn't possibly imagine. Who would of thought that your imagination relates to numbers? Even though my memory is serving me well, the book gives you shortcuts and tricks to help improve it. O'Brien also deals with maths, public speaking, science, English and more. Handy for learning, especially for those studying for exams. ( )
  xiWen | Jan 12, 2007 |

By revealing the secrets of Dominic O'Brien's extraordinary command of the memory skills we all have at our disposal, this practical guide enables you to achieve the success in your studies that you've always longed for.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,089,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible