The Vanishing Act: A Novel by Mette Jakobsen

The Vanishing Act: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Mette Jakobsen

Member:lmyohanen
Title:The Vanishing Act: A Novel
Authors:Mette Jakobsen
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2012), Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Vanishing Act: A Novel by Mette Jakobsen

It felt very short, but I can see why Erin M. recommended it, it does remind me very much of her style.
It's a lovely book, and one that I believe will get better on the second reading, when you know what's coming afterwards.A few things felt incomplete though... ( )
  ScarletBea | Apr 3, 2013 |
e-galley

This was a short, enjoyable read with a strong sense of place and isolation (the place is an island). It has an almost magical, fairytale quality to it: Minou the only child on the island, her mother vanished (presumed dead by Minou's father and the other two men on the island, Boxman and Priest, but believed alive by Minou), the grownups odd due to their experiences in the war and to their vocations: philosopher/fisherman, priest, and magician. There is little plot; Minou attempting to knit together a coherent story for herself, with her father's philosophy and her mother's imagination, is most of it.

Quotes:

With Descartes' words the island became solid again and I realised how easily logic gets lost in the night. (35 of 92)

But then I reminded myself that logic...had nothing to do with either kindness or love. (61 of 92)

"Sometimes," explained Boxman, "sadness has a sweet, enchanting edge. It pulls at your heart and you can't get enough." (63 of 92)

Uncle nodded, still looking pale, and then told me that he used to be scared of ghosts.
"Aren't you scared anymore?" I asked.
"I started looking straight at them," he said. "Then they stopped coming so close." (66 of 92)

I got the postcard from my pocket and read it again: "...it is the heart and not the words - not even in the most beautiful ones - but in the heart, in the skeleton bird pushing against your chest, wanting to fly, that we know for certain who and what we love. That is all we have, and all there is." (86 of 92) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
A lovely little gem of a book about discovery, grief, and imagination. ( )
  KatieANYC | Apr 2, 2013 |
I think this one may have been too philosophical for me. The Vanishing Act is beautifully written, but it doesn’t really go anywhere. The characters and setting had lots of charm and pulled me in; however, the book sets itself up as a mystery (I was reminded of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time) and leaves you with more questions than answers. It's a lovely, short read if you just want to disappear for awhile and aren't expecting too much in the way of plot. ( )
  sly_wit | Mar 30, 2013 |
  sly_wit | Mar 29, 2013 |
Für Matilde
Am Morgen, als ich den toten Jungen fand, schneite es.

Living alone on a tiny, snow-covered island with her father, dog and a magician, twelve-year-old Minou deals with her mother's abandonment and hopes to find an explanation when a dead boy washes up on the beach.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible