Dead as a Scone by Ron Benrey

Dead as a Scone

by Ron Benrey, Janet Benrey (Author)

This book takes place at the Royal Tunbridge Wells Tea Museum, where we meet Nigel Owen and Felicity Adams, the acting director and chief curator, respectively. A member of the Board of Trustees dies at a trustee meeting, and only Felicity Adams suspects that she was murdered.

When I first started to read this book, I did NOT like it. It seemed just another author unsuccessfully trying to write a cozy mystery. Neither Nigel nor Felicity was likeable, and the writing did not flow very well. The dialog did not seem to ring true. I sometimes think of myself as a mystery "snob" because I prefer Christie, Sayers, Marsh, Heyer, etc to more modern authors of the genre. However, about halfway through the book, I realized I had started to enjoy it.

Granted this book will never win any prizes, but it had a passable mystery, with some fairly decent clues that was solved by Nigel and Felicity in the end. It was a pleasant little book and I will likely read the next in the series, if only to find out what happens between Nigel and Felicity.

As for the Christian Fiction aspect of the book, if this tag scares you off, you should not let it. Most of the Christian aspect plays into the mystery, and the only part that really stuck out as not belonging is when Nigel asks Felicity on a date to Church at the end. ( )
  rretzler | Sep 23, 2011 |
Felicity "Flick" Adams, an American, is the chief curator of a tea museum in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England. Coffee-loving Nigel Owen is the acting director. Dame Elspeth Hawker, a descendant of the man for whom the museum is named, dies at a meeting of the museum's directors, and Flick is convinced it is poison. Most everyone tends to disagree with her since one of the directors is a medical doctor and attributed the death to natural causes. Flick is determined to investigate on her own. Like many works of Christian fiction, the writing leaves much to be desired. The narrative did not flow as smoothly as it should have. At first I really disliked Nigel Owen, but his character grew on me. The authors did show some skill in constructing clues throughout the book that would prove important later on. I am not convinced that the ending would have played out the way it did. It seemed a bit of a let-down. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 2, 2010 |

Ron Benreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benrey, JanetAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Book Description (ISBN 159310197X, Paperback)

When Dame Elspeth falls over dead, presumably poisoned by a suspect creme brulee, can two pretentious prima donnas work together to solve this classically English crime--or will they end up victims of a tainted high tea themselves?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:53 -0400)

"Nigel Owen is downsized out of his insurance management position and forced to take a job as acting director of a tea museum. Then he receives word from the museum's elderly matron that a dangerous criminal sits upon the board of trustees. But before Dame Elspeth can unveil the criminal, she falls over dead, presumably from a heart attack. American tea curator Flick Adams apparently happens to know a bit about forensic chemistry, and insists that Elspeth was poisoned. Can these two pretentious prima donnas follow the odd scriptural clues left by Dame Elspeth to solve this dodgy crime? "-- Excerpted from p.4 of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible