Southern Fried Women by Pamela King Cable

Southern Fried Women

by Pamela King Cable

I read this for the Just For Fun Challenge which encourages reading one book that has been on the TBR shelf for a long time and without doing a review. I still rated this book though and I loved it. ( )
  Carolee888 | Aug 11, 2014 |
From the depths of violence to the heights of humor...each of these stories offers something entirely new in the Southern storytelling tradition. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Jul 21, 2013 |
Each story features a cast of strong southern women facing the trials of life the best way they know how….head on. They don’t shy away from their circumstances no matter how rough and they’re not afraid to get down and dirty if need be. There’s also a dusting of the religious high road that many in the self proclaimed “Bible belt” take to heart but it’s purely meant to show that by the grace of the powers that be, all things can be overcome. Take “Vernal Paskins, Mobile Home Queen”…our leading lady is having a hard time on life what with having to raise her daughter’s child and a severe lack of funds, but a chance (or fated?) meeting with a traveling preachers wife leads to unexpected fortune both monetarily and spiritually.

The shortest story in this collection also happens to be my favorite amongst the lot….entitled “No Time For Laura”. It literally brought tears to my eyes in its four page span while conveying the strong message of taking time to enjoy the smallest moments of happiness in life because you never truly know when they won’t be there any longer.

It wasn’t all sunshine and roses for me though as there were two stories in fact that no matter how I tried, I just could not get into for the life of me, but you know that’s the beauty of short story collections. There are times when you fall in love with the whole lot and times where the love is few and far between. I’d say the odds presented here, two out of nine, are pretty good as a whole making this a collection I happily count among the “read”.

In short, A book of short stories that gives readers a view on life with a Southern twang. They’re not “nice” in the conventional sense of the word but they are real and emotionally charged. There is a purpose to the stories shared. They are meant to show (in my mind at least) that behind the charm and sun drenched smiles, there is a fountain of strength and resilience native to Southern women. All one needs to do to release it is step on the wrong toes, cross the wrong daughter, or play high and mighty in a group of ones own peers. Rest assured, a true Southern fried woman will gladly call you out and bring you back to your roots….leaving you with a smile and a story to ( )
  GRgenius | Dec 8, 2011 |
This book of short stories is a treat to read! If you love the picture on the cover, you will be happy to see each story starts with a photograph and an introduction from Pamela King Cable explaining her inspiration for the story. I am a huge fan of old photos, so the photos really spoke to me. I found it interesting to get into Pamela's head and see how each character and their story was born. It made the characters and their stories very real to me.

The stories are very unique. These are not all feel good, sugary stories. These Southern Fried Women have not had easy lives. They are tough women battling problems some of us can only imagine. In the end, they overcome and stand tall.

Some of these stories are dark and disturbing as Pamela even warns us about in the introduction to one such story, Old Time Religion. I found myself gasping and thinking about many of these stories long after I read them. On the flip side, some of the characters had me laughing out loud at their thoughts and antics.

I highly recommend this book of short stories. Pamela King Cable is a wonderfully gifted storyteller! I look forward to reading more from her in the future. If you are a fan of Southern fiction, you will enjoy these stories. ( )
  bookaholicmom | Oct 6, 2011 |

Every once in a while, an author comes along who's non-traditional, unconventional, and doesn't play by all the "rules." She writes Southern fiction - her way. We've got a live one on the Southern literature scene! She can ruffle the feathers of the most stoic, mess with the beliefs of the strictest fundamentalists, and reel you into the story like a mean catfish meant for the fryer. She has woven together the music, the language, the religions, and the traditions of the South. The result is SOUTHERN FRIED WOMEN, a collection of nine short stories of Southern women, and a few men, struggling for answers to unanswered questions, hoping for forgiveness, searching for righteousness, and questioning the existence of God in their lives. No Time For Laura, Vernell Paskins-Mobile Home Queen, Punkin Head, Cry, The Homestead, Old Time Religion, Pigment Of My Imagination, Beach Babies, Coal Dust On My Feet In the spirit of the rural South, Pamela King Cable may well be next on the Southern literature scene of unforgettables. These are the stories in this collection that examine - sometimes seriously and at other times with humor - themes of forgiveness, death, love, discovery, racial conflict, faith, tragedy, innocence, destiny, guilt, and overcoming insurmountable obstacles. Set in various locations and time periods in the South, Southern Fried Women is a compelling collection of stories from Pamela King Cable, a powerful new voice in fiction. Cassandra King, author of Making Waves, The Sunday Wife, The Same Sweet Girls, says . "If you don't find yourself devouring this delicious book of stories, by Pamela King Cable, then you are not a Southern Fried Woman (or Man). After laughing and crying your way through this collection, you will eagerly await new offerings from this talented writer!"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:16 -0400)

Pamela King Cable has woven together the music, the language, the religions, and the traditions of the South. The result is a collection of nine short stories about Southern women, and a few men, struggling to find answers to unanswerable questions, hoping for forgiveness, seeking righteousness, and questioning the existence of God in their lives. Cable writes Southern fiction in the true spirit of the rural South. She can ruffle the feathers of the most stoic, mess with the beliefs of the strictest fundamentalists, and reel you into her stories like a stubborn catfish meant for the fryer. In stories with themes ranging from flea markets to coal mine strikes, once you have met her "Southern Fried Women", they will be with you forever.… (more)

Satya House Publications

3 editions of this book were published by Satya House Publications.

Editions: 097291918X, 1935874071, 1935874047

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,747,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible