Gun Games: A Decker/Lazarus Novel…

Gun Games: A Decker/Lazarus Novel (Decker/Lazarus Novels) (2011)

by Faye Kellerman

Series: Decker/Lazarus (20)

3872039,646 (3.79)5

I somewhat enjoyed the story but honestly...as I was getting involved in the crime details then the next chapter would switch to sex between a 14 and a 15 year old. Ugh, that just seemed wrong to get that much detail. Not a fan of this one. ( )
  BONS | Oct 16, 2017 |
Remember Chris and Terry, the young lovers who sucked up more than their share of Justice? Now their 15-year-old son Gabe (Gabriel) and his charming girlfriend, Yasmine, suck up more than their share of Gun Games. In fact, since Gabe is the Deckers' foster son, Peter has to recuse himself from a case that could be connected to a disputed teen suicide.

Well, Wendy Hess disputes the coroner's conclusion that her son committed suicide. Marge Dunn and Oliver are sent to the boy's prep school, where they are snowed by the vice principal for boys. When a finger seems to point at the stepson of a very rich man, the VP becomes very uncooperative.

The mystery was fine. The truth was chilling. The agony and the ecstasy of teen sex (guess who felt the agony and who was ecstatic) I would have been glad to skip had this not been an audio edition. Having Rina relegated to some supporting scenes and Peter having to work around not crossing a line was not my cup of tea.

What truly vexed me was the fact that NO ONE even suggested using voice analysis to determine if the voice on a piece of evidence belonged to one of the suspects.

I won't say that this entry was a waste of time. I rather enjoyed Chris' role near the end (but that's a guilty pleasure). It's just that when I'm listening to a Decker/Lazarus mystery, I expect to have them be more than supporting characters. ( )
  JalenV | Dec 6, 2016 |
Not much to say about this one; it is a reasonably enjoyable read, but I was not gripped at all. The "lead" characters are a bit bland, at times I felt that I was in the middle of a young adult novel, albeit that the sex was a bit over graphic for that. It has been a long time since I read one of Faye Kellerman's books and I think it will be a long time before I read another one. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
LAPD lieutenant detective Decker and his wife, Rina, have willingly welcomed fifteen-year-old Gabriel Whitman into their home. Decker knows only too well the secrets adolescents keep, witnessed by the tragic suicide of another teen, Gregory Hesse. Gregory's mother refuses to believe her son shot himself and convinces Decker to look deeper. What he finds disturbs him. The gun used in the tragedy was stolen, which propels him to launch a full investigation. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Another excellent yarn by Faye Kellerman, a master at creating interesting, believable, compelling characters. Once I got about 100 pages in, I literally could not put this book down. ( )
  echasc | Oct 26, 2014 |

Kellerman, FayeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dziekonski, KarenExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Greenberg, MitchellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
John Marshall MediaProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062064320, Hardcover)

Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus are back in this gripping mystery involving a secret cabal of some of Los Angeles’ most wealthy—and vicious—teens

LAPD lieutenant detective Decker and his wife, Rina, have willingly welcomed fifteen-year-old Gabriel Whitman, the son of a troubled former friend, into their home. While the enigmatic teen seems to be adapting easily, Decker knows only too well the secrets adolescents keep—witnessed by the tragic suicide of another teen, Gregory Hesse, a student at Bell and Wakefield, one of the city’s most exclusive prep schools.

Gregory’s mother, Wendy, refuses to believe her son shot himself and convinces Decker to look deeper. What he finds disturbs him. The gun used in the tragedy was stolen—evidence that propels him to launch a full investigation with his trusted team, Sergeant Marge Dunn and Detective Scott Oliver. But the case becomes darkly complicated by the suicide of another Bell and Wakefield student—a death that leads them to uncover an especially nasty group of rich and privileged students with a predilection for guns and violence. Decker thought he understood kids, yet the closer he and his team get to the truth, the clearer it becomes that he knows very little about them, including his own charge, Gabe. The son of a gangster and an absent parent, the boy has had a life filled with too much free time, too many unexplained absences, and too little adult supervision.

Before it’s over, the case and all its terrifying ramifications will take Decker and his detectives down a dark alley of twisted allegiances and unholy alliances, culminating at a heart-stopping point of no return.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Lieutenant Detective Decker and his wife, Rina, investigate an apparent teen suicide witnessed by the son of a troubled former friend whom they have welcomed into their home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible