Families Are Different by Nina Pellegrini

Families Are Different (1991)

by Nina Pellegrini

3191234,767 (4)1

Love love love this book. This is an adoption story that shows no matter what type of family you come from as long as their is love its a a great one. I also liked how at the end of this book you get to see a variety of families to show that not all families look alike.

Teaching Ideas: i would use this book when teaching a lesson on family dynamics and ask the class to illustrate a picture of their family so we could see all the differences
  aehunter | May 4, 2015 |
This book has great promise but it is a bit dated. It does make the point that there are many different types of families, but some of the more "controversial" families structures are conspicuously absent. Again, this book about adoption is talking about children who were adopted internationally as babies. I think there must be better books out there to talk about different family structures. Actually, I remember reading one in class, "Molly's Family" by Nancy Garden was much better. I don't think I would use this book.
Interest Level Grades K - 2 Reading Level Grade level Equivalent: 4.2 ( )
  TaraKennedy | Apr 21, 2015 |
Good because many children can make connections with this book. It is told from a boy who was adopted about how is family is different than other families but they are also the same. It goes into how all families are different, not just ones where someone was adopted. They look many examples of differences a family may have. ( )
  JamieLewis | Sep 15, 2014 |
This book teaches the concept; there are so many different types of families but they are held together by love.
Age: 4-6
Source: ECE Pierce College Library
  kavy | May 24, 2014 |
I liked this book. I liked the illustrations of all the different types of families because it shows that being different is good. It showed a big family that all looked alike, a daughter and father as a family, and two parents with a biological child and an adopted child. I also liked the plot of the story because it focused on the differences amongst families and that is what makes each family unique. The big idea of this book is to show that all families are different and that is okay. ( )
  lpicke2 | Apr 28, 2014 |
To William Accorsi -- Thank you!
Hello, my name is Nico. Actually, Nicola, but everyone calls me Nico.

Kindergarten-Grade 1-- Although Korean-born Nico doesn't like looking different from her adoptive parents, her mother assures her that, indeed, there are all kinds of families, "glued together with a special kind of glue called love ." Thus follows some of the many variations of modern-day families, featuring a multiracial mix of both traditional and nontraditional groupings. Single and adoptive parents, grandparent guardians, and steprelatives all receive equal attention. While neither the watercolor illustrations nor the text are particularly inspiring, both convey a clear message of the need for accepting differences among lifestyles and stress that "family" is a bond created more by love and concern among its members than by biological relationships. A definite discussion-starter and an acceptable choice for those wishing to address the issue of the changing family group. --Nancy Menaldi-Scanlan, Wheeler School, Providence, RICopyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc.

An adopted Korean girl discovers that her classmates have different types of families.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,910,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible