Push Has Come to Shove: Getting Our Kids the…

by Dr. Steve Perry

Member:nluvwithx
Title:Push Has Come to Shove: Getting Our Kids the Education They Deserve--Even If It Means Picking a Fight
Authors:Dr. Steve Perry
Info:Broadway (2012), Paperback, 272 pages

Push Has Come to Shove: Getting Our Kids the Education They Deserve--Even If It Means Picking a Fight by Dr. Steve Perry

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The writing style of this book kept me from wanting to keep reading -- it just felt like a slog rather than a page-turner. As an educator myself, I really didn't find much in here that I thought I could actually use in my day to day work; I was hoping for more steps to change rather than a screed. ( )
  bah | Nov 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Every parent who is a little tired of hearing how bored their kid is in school should pick up a copy of this book. It just might help them advocate for more for their children. Wish I had read it 12 years ago. ( )
  Milda-TX | Jun 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this from Early Readers quite a while ago. I somehow lost it in a pile of books and recently it turned up again. It was a very fast read. There are some obvious issues in terms of organization and flow, but overall, I don't think that affected the message too much. Also, my copy was an unedited proof, so I don't know if some of those issues were resolved before it went to print.
This is a book about fighting for better education for our kids. Reading it was a real trip. Dr. Perry is an unusual person. I admit, I did not expect him to be a take no prisoners, do whatever works type of reformer. Given his personal story and then knowing where he works and the theme of his school, I expected him to be, well, against vouchers, school choice and for unions. I was totally wrong. The book is raw and unapologetic, even considering the fact that it was an unedited version. He may be exactly the voice that school reformers need to get their message across. From him it is totally authentic. One really interesting thing he said, one that I'm still tossing around, is that the kids need to read less of the old classics and more good, current literature that they can relate to. I see his point, but I'm still thinking about it. I think it's a worthwhile read and an important conversation. Read it in your book group and I think you'll have an amazing discussion. ( )
  nittnut | Oct 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't really care for this book. It read like a rant and I did not care for the writing style. Perry points out a lot of problems in the educational system, but he does not offer solutions. ( )
  starboard | Jun 10, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Highly readable, whether you agree with the point of view or not. I happen to. The problem for this book is that people who don't see anything to fix in our educational system probably won't read it. ( )
  TallyDi | May 9, 2012 |

“Have you been to a school lately?  Have you sat through the six hours and forty-five minutes of excruciating tedium we send our kids to every day?  When we ask our kids, “What’d you do in school today?” and they mumble, “Nothin’,” they’re telling the truth.” Steve Perry is like no other educator you’ve ever met.  He “gets it.”  He understands why some parents are downright panicked about what’s going on in their kids’ classrooms, and how other parents, whose kids supposedly attend the “good” schools, still fear that their children are falling behind.  As Principal of one of the best performing schools in America -- one that sends 100% of its mostly minority students to four-year colleges -- Perry delights in poking the system.  Present him with a “truth” about how education is supposed to work and – count on it – he’ll show it to be false. Dictatorial teacher’s unions despise Steve Perry.  So do lazy teachers.  So do entrenched, unimaginative school boards.  So do reactionary “curriculum guardians” who – as a lure to get kids reading – cling to the same old stodgy texts. “That’s okay,” say Perry.  That means he’s making a difference.  In this book, his priority is to help kids who don’t have the advantage of going to his school, Capital Prep.  He wants to save your kid, and the kid next door, and the kid down the street from getting a typical third-rate American education.  If you’re a parent who has worried recently about how depressed your child seems when he dresses for school in the morning…or how little of what happens during the school day seems to sink into her brain… or how much of your child’s homework is busywork, you need this book.   If you’re a teacher who is putting your heart and soul into the job but are surrounded by colleagues who are “phoning it in,” you need this book.  If you’re a committed, forward-thinking principal who wants to get rid of the faculty bad apples, but are continually stymied by Mafia-style teachers-unions, you need this book. *If you’re a citizen who worries about the $1 trillion-plus GDP loss that America suffers every year because our system of education doesn’t measure up, you need this book. In this solution-oriented manifesto, Steve Perry covers the full range of issues holding back today’s students.  He shows parents how to find great teachers (and get rid of the bad ones)…how to make readers out of kids who hate to read…how to make the school curriculum thrilling rather than sleep-inducing…how to conduct an all-important education “home audit”… how to “e-organize” if school boards and administrators aren’t getting the message…how to build a “school of the future,” and much more. The era of third-rate education is over.  Steve Perry isn’t going to let the fools and scoundrels get away with it any longer.  Push has come to shove!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307720314, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Steve Harvey on Push Has Come to Shove
Steve Harvey began doing stand-up comedy in the mid-1980s, and has become one of today’s most multi-faceted entertainers as a radio personality, actor, author, entrepreneur, philanthropist and TV host. His bestselling books include Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man and Straight Talk, No Chaser. Harvey hosts the annual Hoodie Awards honoring community business and leaders, and he also mentors youth through the Steve Harvey Foundation.

Take it from a guy who knows what it’s like to work a lot of gigs: Dr. Steve Perry, who divides his time between being the planet’s most effective school principal and a shake-up-people’s-thinking contributor to CNN, is the hardest-working man in the education biz. And that’s damn lucky for the thousands of kids who, because of Perry’s “serious as a heart attack” approach to education, are now heading off to four-year colleges rather than talking trash on street corners. It’s lucky, too, for parents who get to read this amazing book. The title, Push Has Come to Shove, is pure Perry-- and so are the big fat water balloons Perry aims at the education system’s many culprits. But Perry isn’t just a funny-as-hell, fed-up-and-tired-of-excuses dude giving “don’t know jack” teacher’s-union goons, lazy teachers, and political hacks well deserved kicks in the pants, the man has real solutions. He lays it all out here: how to get your kid better teachers, a better curriculum, and a better future. I love Steve’s impatience: he doesn’t want any of us to be putting up one more day with what we’ve been putting up with. He wants your kid turned on right now to the idea of being smarter. It’s about time someone inside the education system pulled back the curtain on what’s lacking, so the common man can help his children get an exceptional education.

--Steve Harvey

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:54 -0400)

"A guide to saving America's schools"-- Provided by publisher.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Push Has Come to Shove by Dr. Steve Perry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,339,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible