Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life by…

Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life (edition 2011)

by Michael Moore, Author (Reader)

Capturing the zeitgeist of the past fifty years, yet deeply personal and unflinchingly honest, "Here Comes Trouble" takes readers on an unforgettable, take-no-prisoners ride through the life and times of Michael Moore. No one will come away from this book without a sense of surprise about the Michael Moore most of us didn't know.… (more)
Member:Chancelet
Title:Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life
Authors:Michael Moore
Other authors:Author (Reader)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:*****

Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life by Michael Moore

Michael Moore's latest is his best book, by far. Not so much a biography as a collections of biographical anecdotes, "Here Comes Trouble" follows Moore's life from birth to the point at which his career really broke out with "Roger and Me", relating the events which turned him into the political troublemaker he is today. Some of the stories contained herein are funny, some are poignant, some are tragic. If you get through the book without a tear or two, you're a lot more thickly-skinned than I. More important perhaps, should you start this book as a Moore "hater" what you read probably won't change your mind, but I suspect this wasn't his idea when he wrote it. Instead, you might understand him a little better. Myself, I happen to think Michael is a genuine national treasure, and a whole lot more of a Patriot than most of the right-wing shills who would paint him a traitor. I always look forward to what he's planning next. Thanks for the insight, and keep up the good fight, Michael. We need more like you. ( )
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
Fun read - always interesting to read "history" that happened in parallel with one's own life... ( )
  mrklingon | Jan 2, 2015 |
I listened to the audio version narrated by Moore. It was a perfect sidekick on the ride to work. His stories show that Michael Moore's ability to hunt out inequality came early. The story about his deciding to become a Catholic priest at age 14 and his year in a seminary show how he questioned authority. Why couldn't women be priests? They had been before the hierarchy of the church was established. His questions was so intense, he decided that he couldn't be a priest, especially after he realized girls existed. But his thunder was stolen when he was told that he would not be allowed back for his second year because he questioned too much. Stories range from the death of his mother, to death threats after Fahrenheit 9/11 was released. If you want to understand Moore's passion for digging for dirt and exposing the bad, this book will show you how he came to his well deserved fame for his documentaries. ( )
  brangwinn | Mar 8, 2014 |
I loved this book. Maybe more than most as Im from the Flint area as well, and grew up in basically the same genre as Michael. ( )
  azrowan | Jan 1, 2014 |
Whether you love him or hate him, you have to agree that Michael Moore is a man passionate about his beliefs who knows how to tell a good story. Here Comes Trouble is an entertaining and engaging non-chronological memoir told through a series significant stories from Moore's life that help us to understand how he evolved into the committed, controversial filmmaker that we know today. If you are expecting a long political harangue, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Many of the stories focus on Moore's familial relationships, his friends, awkward adolescent moments, his spirituality, etc. I never knew, for example, that he attended seminary and planned to become a priest--until he was expelled for asking too many questions. Or that he campaigned for Richard Nixon.

Moore opens with a story that relates the backlash that followed his Oscar acceptance speech, from the young man who called him an a--hole as he walked offstage, to Glenn Beck's suggestion that killing him would feel pretty good, through a series of threats and actual attacks that caused him to hire a cadre of bodyguards--most of whom were tough former Navy Seals--to protect him and his family. Whatever you think of Moore's politics, you will (or should) be appalled by what he went through in a country that supposedly values free speech.

Personal memories intermingle with the more political: his mother's death, a favorite teacher, the pros and cons of attending a Catholic school, family vacations, his teenage crushes, an oddball neighbor ostracized for what Moore later recognized as his homosexuality. But one thing the connects all of the stories is Moore's penchant for asking questions--the habit that ultimately led him to become first the editor of a small liberal newspaper in Flint, Michigan, and later a documentary filmmaker. Why wouldn't his mother allow him to skip a grade, considering how bored he was in school? Why couldn't his Catholic grade school have a newspaper? Why was Boys' State accepting sponsorship from an organization that excluded African-Americans? How, in a state that outlawed abortion, could he help a close friend who had gotten pregnant? What options would he have if he was drafted? Why wasn't the president keeping his campaign promises? How was it that people he liked and respected were revealed to hold racist views? Was it right to honor the German war dead if among them were fallen Nazis? Why was the government sponsoring business seminars promoting job outsourcing?

If, like Moore and me, you grew up in the late 1950s and 1960s and remember the turmoil of the 1970s, you will find a lot to relate to here. (I was born in Detroit, grew up in the suburbs, and didn't leave Michigan until 1990, so many of Moore's recollections were personally familiar.) If you're younger, I can't think of a better introduction to those decades. Moore's stories are variously funny, surprising, moving, maddening, uplifting. Whether you're a fan or foe, Here Comes Trouble will convince you that Michael Moore is a man who loves America, who strives to love and understand his fellow humans, and who deserves respect for living by his convictions.

I listened to the book on audio, read by Moore himself--a great choice, as no one else could have told his stories with quite the same effect. ( )
1 vote Cariola | Dec 22, 2013 |
Wishes for my early demise seemed to be everywhere.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,112,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible