Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees…

Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah Rees Brennan

Member:g33kgrrl
Title:Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy
Authors:Sarah Rees Brennan
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read2012

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (2012)

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: A more complex novel about magic and the mysterious family that rules a sleepy town.

This story drew me in well and had a really interesting premise. But overall, the main character annoyed me and the cat and mouse game in the romance annoyed me more. The supporting characters were more likeable and the suspense and mystery carried it through for me. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I had a lot of issues with the plot and many of the characters are so cursory, why even bother? I really wanted to like this book and am so disappointed. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
This was a book that I enjoyed a lot, but mostly for language rather than for plot.

Brennan is a wonderful writer. From the first page, Kami's voice is brilliant and so much fun. I also love both her parents, and especially her dad. The dialogue is witty. The characters are likable and complex. And the last 50-100 pages surprised me multiple times with the different turns of events, something that doesn't happen to me that frequently. Also, I like that she really delved into the many issues regarding what it's like to be linked to someone else and read his mind and have your mind read: both the good, the comfortable, the secure, but also the frightening, the unstable, and the constant wondering about not being your own individual. And somewhat towards the end, when Kami was beginning to have trouble trusting anyone at all, Brennan really got me into her head, that gradual creepy feeling of wondering if anything is really as it seems.

That being said, Angela and Holly's romance seemed unnecessary to me. This also has a bit more violence/gore than I am comfortable with, though Brennan is not graphic. The core premise is actually not something I would have picked the book up for, not being a big fan of paranormal. That being said, there are quite a lot of paranormal elements, but they unfold naturally and gradually. And the pleasure of Brennan's language really made me enjoy it overall, a lot more than I expected. The ending, too--while it does make me want to read on, and there is a tiny measure of resolution at least to one important question, it still felt like too much of a cliffhanger to me.

elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |

"Kami Glass is in love with someone she's never met--a boy she's talked to in her head since she was born. This has made her an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but she has learned ways to turn that to her advantage. Her life seems to be in order, until disturbing events begin to occur. There has been screaming in the woods and the manor overlooking the town has lit up for the first time in 10 years. The Lynburn family, who ruled the town a generation ago and who all left without warning, have returned. Now Kami can see that the town she has known and loved all her life is hiding a multitude of secrets--and a murderer. The key to it all just might be the boy in her head. The boy she thought was imaginary is real, and definitely and deliciously dangerous"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,120,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible