Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees…

Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah Rees Brennan

7329112,784 (3.94)1 / 18
Member:g33kgrrl
Title:Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy
Authors:Sarah Rees Brennan
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read2012

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (2012)

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: A more complex novel about magic and the mysterious family that rules a sleepy town.

There are a few things you must do, in order to enjoy Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. First, you must prepare yourself to laugh out loud in public. Next, you must be prepared for the sass - and given the author, this is an expectation.

Unspoken is set in a little town called Sorry-in-the-Vale where the Lynburns rule the town. Kami, a smart, witty high-schooler (with a personality the size of an elephant and the endurance of the energizer bunny) is determined to find out the secret of the Lynburns and why the family is feared in town.

The investigation takes a dangerous turn, which only fuels Kami’s desire for truth, and with the help of her perpetually lazy (but hot) best friend, Angela, and her imaginary-turned-real friend, Jared, Kami finds herself heading up to Aurimere House a little more often than comfortable.

I would say that Unspoken is a modern gothic parody. It has all the elements of a good gothic novel - a mysterious house, a handsome cast, an inquisitive lady and the lean towards the supernatural - but, it does it in such a tongue-in-cheek way that you can’t help but laugh at these elements.

The characters are endearing, even though there were times I was wondering who was speaking - they are all cheeky characters, so sometimes they blended into one. The plot is fast paced and even though there wasn’t a huge twist in the end, it was a pretty good set-up and I am looking forward to the second book.

I love reading Sarah’s characters, they are just fun to read and they will make you laugh, so be careful when reading in public, least your fellow travelers question your sanity.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
So I really wanted to love this book. I love the synopsis, I love the concept, and I love the cover... But I've been trying to read this book for a few days (what feels like months) and I just can't get into it. I am over halfway through it and I still feel like I have no idea what it is about. The writing is beautiful and I love the witty dry humor of the characters, but all of this doesn't make up for the fact that the plot gets so lost in details and descriptions that you have no idea what is going on. I feel like the author is setting the stage for something big to happen at the end and for it to continue through the series of books, but the lack of action is what is keeping me from finishing. I'm going to try to pick it back up in a few weeks and give it another try because I refuse to not finish a book. Fingers crossed that with a fresh start I will fall in love with this book like I had hoped!
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
I received this book from my awesome #OTSPSecretSister. She thought that I would like it, and I really did! The main character, Kami, was a strong willed girl living in a strange little town in England. Her relationship with Jared was completely fascinating and there were just so many feels! Especially when you get to the big twist at the end! She also has a really great relationship with her parents and best friend. Her parents are a little more present than you see in most novels with teenagers as the protagonist. It was refreshing. There was so much about this book to like for anyone. Mystery, witchcraft, small town strangeness, hints of the occult. I am definitely glad my secret sister sent this to me and even more glad that I found books 2&3 on Book Outlet the other day! I can't wait to dive back in and see what happens with Kami and Jared. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
It's happened again, read great book and now have to wait forever for the next one in the series. With it's dry and somewhat dark humor, [b:Unspoken|10866624|Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)|Sarah Rees Brennan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333397426s/10866624.jpg|15781826] was a blast to read. I really liked the concept and the main characters, Kami and Jared. Kami and Jared are each others imaginary friends(or so they thought). Their first meeting was like meeting your hero and then realizing he/she is a jerk and you wish you hadn't met, but fortunately in their case they had more than a one minute introduction, more time for a do-over.

I liked Kami and her band of misfits doing their scooby thing to investigate strange happenings, and her bravery as she tries to uncover the secrets of her small town, while trying to figure out who can she trust. Jared was such a lost soul but I couldn't help root for him. He might be a scary guy but when it came to Kami he was more like her guardian angel.

To sum up, the author did a great job fleshing out all the characters personalities. It was definitely a joy to read.

GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
Unspoken has a little bit of everything. It's emotion, funny and mysterious.

Kami is a great character. She's smart, confident, and does what needs to be done in order to get a story. This time, she may be in over her head.

When I first started reading, I was trying to figure out what was going on. The answers came in due time. In a town full of secrets, who can you really trust? This becomes the question throughout the book. There wasn't a ton of action, but enough to keep the story moving forward. While trying to find out who's sacrificing animals in the woods is top priority, Kami wants to figure out what is going on with her and Jared.

Jared is a lunatic, or maybe bipolar. He's somewhat content one second, then flying off the handle the next. He's got some serious anger issues that need to be worked out. Ash is good looking and polite. But I question his interest in Kami.

I love how this group of friends interact with each other. It's like on happy, quirky team. They get each other, but an outsider would think their comments were odd. My best friend and I know this feeling very well. If someone were to look at our texts they would think we were a little odd.

I also loved that Kami's father is present. Too many times there are broken homes surrounding female main characters. It's great to see a supportive and loving father.

I can honestly say I didn't have anything figured out until the end of the book. Jared comes away from the events that have taken place a different person. Kami isn't sure how to deal with all of this new information. The ending is a major cliff hanger that left tears trying to escape my tear ducts. I felt awful at their indifference, and wanted to scream at Sarah at the same time.

If you're looking for a YA paranormal read with some mystery and quite a few laughs, you should definitely try this out. Sarah has a great sense of humor and keeps you wanting more! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

"Kami Glass is in love with someone she's never met--a boy she's talked to in her head since she was born. This has made her an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but she has learned ways to turn that to her advantage. Her life seems to be in order, until disturbing events begin to occur. There has been screaming in the woods and the manor overlooking the town has lit up for the first time in 10 years. The Lynburn family, who ruled the town a generation ago and who all left without warning, have returned. Now Kami can see that the town she has known and loved all her life is hiding a multitude of secrets--and a murderer. The key to it all just might be the boy in her head. The boy she thought was imaginary is real, and definitely and deliciously dangerous"--… (more)

144 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible