Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees…

Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah Rees Brennan

486None21,074 (4.03)15
Member:JayhemH
Title:Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy
Authors:Sarah Rees Brennan
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:big idea was funny, gothic, kindle

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (2012)

2012 (12) 2013 (7) ebook (6) England (14) fantasy (59) favorites (5) fiction (26) goodreads (8) gothic (28) Kindle (6) library (5) Lynburn Legacy (9) magic (20) mystery (35) netgalley (6) own (5) paranormal (16) paranormal romance (10) read (6) read in 2012 (12) romance (15) series (14) sorcerers (5) supernatural (5) teen (8) to-read (76) urban fantasy (11) wishlist (5) YA (52) young adult (43)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: A more complex novel about magic and the mysterious family that rules a sleepy town.

I got about one hundred pages in when I realized I could no longer go on…and it makes me sad because I really did want to like this series. I was actually really looking forward to this book Unspoken got me interested right away, I liked the writing a lot. It was witty and smart. That isn't where it went wrong, though. It was mainly the characters. Kami is the main problem here. I liked her independent nature, but sometimes she just seemed full of herself. Constantly saying the office was perfect and saying she did SUCH a great job. Yes we get it, the office looks nice with it's lamps. And then there's the "cliche" stereotype of not being pretty enough. Her best friend, Angela is the "most gorgeous girl in school, with the most perfect body." And Holly, the "most second gorgeous girl in school." But I think what bothered me the most was that my fictional men weren't making me happy.

Let's begin with Jared, the guy inside Kami's head and her best friend since childhood. Their relationship in their heads was so adorable and familiar. And then they meet in reality and everything goes South. First off, Kami is terrified of him even though he regularly talks in her head. Constantly saying "he's so big and I'm so small." Basically every time they interact she changes from being scared of him, to then wanting to touch him. It's really confusing. One scene that REALLY irked me was when she started unbuttoning her blouse, and Jared was like "What are you doing?" As any boy with some semblance of manners would say. But she obviously doesn't like that because he doesn't seem like he "wants her" am I right? *cue eye roll* So then later, she says to Ash, "If I were to take my shirt off, what would you do?" And he says "Clear the hallway" and she says "good answer." Like really? What the heck.

Going back to Jared, he was really terrible and stand-offish. He said at the beginning "My mom wants me to stop talking to you, then they talk about it, and he says "I just want you." Cue the awwing, right? But when they finally meet, he wants nothing to do with her really, at first. He says "Stay away from me." They both kind of go their separate ways, but then he decides suddenly, they should date. I was like..okay. And, if she really "loved" Jared, she wouldn't be falling for Ash. I get it, he's good looking. And sweet. So tell Jared you just want to be friends. Instead she leads him on, which makes me really confirm she has a big ego. And the story-line..why did everyone seem to know about the Lynburns except her? Her dad knew all about them. But she didn't, this person who should because she's an investigative journalist? It just didn't add up. I liked the humor and writing, but the story-line and romance was just too much for me to like this. ( )
  alexis909 | Feb 28, 2014 |
I'd consider this book on the high end of the "teen gothic romance" spectrum, as well as a modern take on Nancy Drew-style girl detective stories. The protagonist, Kami, is clever and driven, her friends have fun personalities and play important roles in the plot, and although her love interests are broody and mysterious, they still become part of the group and act like regular teen guys. Relationships evolve in a realistic way, and even at times when I thought a big overemotional moment was called for, the characters remained grounded and angsted with thoughtfulness.

The level of quippy banter flying around in this book is sheer madness. How are you supposed to achieve a gothic tone when you know the characters are just going to make sarcastic jabs at the next mysterious thing they encounter? There was a lot of potential for an uneasy spooky atmosphere that never quite came together. I did enjoy watching the central mystery of the town unfold, and it raises some interesting possibilities for future stories.

This book seems well-loved among the YA crowd, and unlike your average Twilight, I think it deserves praise. But for me the romance was just okay, and the mystery concluded at a point that didn't exactly whet my appetite for a sequel. I'd still check out the next book in the series if I was in the mood for a light paranormal mystery, and I'd definitely pick up this book for a young reader instead of letting them take their chances with the sea of generic YA books currently available.
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
So I finally, finally finished this book. I'm not sure what I can say about this story, I was expecting so much more. The book started off at a good pace, but for me, it started to falter right around the time Kami (our intrepid investigative journalist)encounters Jared for the first time, in the flesh, at the library. After that initial meeting when they realized who each of them was, the story seemed to sort of slow down to painful crawl. I know the story was supposed to be about finding out about the mysterious Lynburns and their return to the town, but a good chunk of the book was dedicated to Kami's and Jared's feelings toward one another. What was with Jared not wanting to touch Kami anyway?

The story really seemed to pick up speed after the pub incident with Holly, and even more so with Nicola. It was interesting learning about the connection with Kami's mother and Rosalind and how that formed the connection between Kami and Jared. I wasn't surprised to learn who the sorcerer was, nor was I surprised when Holly told Kami what happened with Angela. I was, however, shocked with Jared's behavior toward Kami after all was said and done.

All I can say is that I'm glad MY teenage years weren't quite so angsty and drama-filled! ( )
  scottnl | Dec 14, 2013 |
The characters in Unspoken were phenomenal. The author did an excellent job really fleshing them out - I fell in love with so many of them. Despite being a blood-filled mystery, there is actually a lot of humor and moments that made me laugh out loud. The dialogue was downright witty - I absolutely loved it. Kami is an excellent protagonist. I love that she's confident in her kookiness and doesn't lose her mind over beautiful boys. We need more female characters like her in YA.

This book was well on its way to earning five stars but something fell apart for me towards the end concerning the mystery. I like mysteries where clues are planted early on so the reader can at least go back and realize that things were pointing toward the ending, but I felt like the mystery was just pushed on us without us having any insight into what was happening. I'm sure more will be cleared up in the next installment in the series but the lack of details made it difficult to enjoy the plot of this one. ( )
  ad_astra | Dec 4, 2013 |
See the full review at Short & Sweet Reviews.

I want there to be more books like Unspoken. YA, adult fic, new adult, middle grade, I don't care. I am tired of reading books of girls who lose all rationality when there's a cute boy in the picture. I'm tired of the hot, mysterious bad boy having a secret heart of gold: sometimes, bad boys are just bad, and girls are smart to be wary of them. I want to see more sassy girls who do what they want, regardless of what boys or friends or boyfriends might think. I want more girls like Kami Glass who are bent on discovering the truth through good old fashioned research, and also a substantial amount of arm-twisting.

The characters in Unspoken are all very unique and witty, Kami's friends and family in particular. While there is plenty of drama to be had with the mysterious Lynburns, there are many, many laugh-out-loud moments, too. The banter is sharp and rapid-fire. The story exists in a universe where everyone is sarcastic and blunt and impossibly quick with a joke or play on words, which is a riot to read but has some drawbacks. I sometimes felt it was hard for me to make an emotional connection with the characters when they were at their sharpest, because really, no one talks like that without a lot of hurt feelings as the end result. But when it really counts, Sarah Rees Brennan isn't afraid to pull emotional punches and make you really care about what happens to Kami and her friends. ( )
  goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |

"Kami Glass is in love with someone she's never met--a boy she's talked to in her head since she was born. This has made her an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but she has learned ways to turn that to her advantage. Her life seems to be in order, until disturbing events begin to occur. There has been screaming in the woods and the manor overlooking the town has lit up for the first time in 10 years. The Lynburn family, who ruled the town a generation ago and who all left without warning, have returned. Now Kami can see that the town she has known and loved all her life is hiding a multitude of secrets--and a murderer. The key to it all just might be the boy in her head. The boy she thought was imaginary is real, and definitely and deliciously dangerous"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,442,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible