Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees…

Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah Rees Brennan

7028913,505 (3.96)1 / 18
Member:JayhemH
Title:Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy
Authors:Sarah Rees Brennan
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:big idea was funny, gothic, kindle

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (2012)

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: A more complex novel about magic and the mysterious family that rules a sleepy town.

I received this book from my awesome #OTSPSecretSister. She thought that I would like it, and I really did! The main character, Kami, was a strong willed girl living in a strange little town in England. Her relationship with Jared was completely fascinating and there were just so many feels! Especially when you get to the big twist at the end! She also has a really great relationship with her parents and best friend. Her parents are a little more present than you see in most novels with teenagers as the protagonist. It was refreshing. There was so much about this book to like for anyone. Mystery, witchcraft, small town strangeness, hints of the occult. I am definitely glad my secret sister sent this to me and even more glad that I found books 2&3 on Book Outlet the other day! I can't wait to dive back in and see what happens with Kami and Jared. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
It's happened again, read great book and now have to wait forever for the next one in the series. With it's dry and somewhat dark humor, [b:Unspoken|10866624|Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)|Sarah Rees Brennan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333397426s/10866624.jpg|15781826] was a blast to read. I really liked the concept and the main characters, Kami and Jared. Kami and Jared are each others imaginary friends(or so they thought). Their first meeting was like meeting your hero and then realizing he/she is a jerk and you wish you hadn't met, but fortunately in their case they had more than a one minute introduction, more time for a do-over.

I liked Kami and her band of misfits doing their scooby thing to investigate strange happenings, and her bravery as she tries to uncover the secrets of her small town, while trying to figure out who can she trust. Jared was such a lost soul but I couldn't help root for him. He might be a scary guy but when it came to Kami he was more like her guardian angel.

To sum up, the author did a great job fleshing out all the characters personalities. It was definitely a joy to read.

GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
Unspoken has a little bit of everything. It's emotion, funny and mysterious.

Kami is a great character. She's smart, confident, and does what needs to be done in order to get a story. This time, she may be in over her head.

When I first started reading, I was trying to figure out what was going on. The answers came in due time. In a town full of secrets, who can you really trust? This becomes the question throughout the book. There wasn't a ton of action, but enough to keep the story moving forward. While trying to find out who's sacrificing animals in the woods is top priority, Kami wants to figure out what is going on with her and Jared.

Jared is a lunatic, or maybe bipolar. He's somewhat content one second, then flying off the handle the next. He's got some serious anger issues that need to be worked out. Ash is good looking and polite. But I question his interest in Kami.

I love how this group of friends interact with each other. It's like on happy, quirky team. They get each other, but an outsider would think their comments were odd. My best friend and I know this feeling very well. If someone were to look at our texts they would think we were a little odd.

I also loved that Kami's father is present. Too many times there are broken homes surrounding female main characters. It's great to see a supportive and loving father.

I can honestly say I didn't have anything figured out until the end of the book. Jared comes away from the events that have taken place a different person. Kami isn't sure how to deal with all of this new information. The ending is a major cliff hanger that left tears trying to escape my tear ducts. I felt awful at their indifference, and wanted to scream at Sarah at the same time.

If you're looking for a YA paranormal read with some mystery and quite a few laughs, you should definitely try this out. Sarah has a great sense of humor and keeps you wanting more! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Kami is determined to make a name for herself as an investigative journalist, even though she lives in a sleepy little English village where nothing exciting ever happens. But then the Lynburns return to their manor on the hill, and she starts noticing all kinds of mysteries. And when the two young Lynburns (dreamboat Ash and his trouble-making cousin Jared) take an interest in Kami, her life gets very exciting indeed. Ritual animal sacrifice, murder attempts, magic, and terrible betrayals ensue, leaving the reader engrossed.

Engrossed, but not that entranced. Kami is a strong and distinctive character, but every main character speaks with the same snappy witticism-heavy style. It makes them run together, despite their obvious differences in background and motivation. Also, I felt like Kami and her friends basically never spent any time in class or doing homework, which made them a little less believable as intelligent and ambitious teenagers. Allllso I felt like there was the same love triangle Brennan had written in her Demons trilogy, and I am pretty tired of YA fantasy love triangles in general and Brennan's type in particular.

All this aside, it's a good book with a few really magical moments. Brennan does creeping horror and action scenes especially well, which is perfect for a book like this. I just wish this book hadn't felt so much like her Demons books. ( )
1 vote wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This story drew me in well and had a really interesting premise. But overall, the main character annoyed me and the cat and mouse game in the romance annoyed me more. The supporting characters were more likeable and the suspense and mystery carried it through for me. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

"Kami Glass is in love with someone she's never met--a boy she's talked to in her head since she was born. This has made her an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but she has learned ways to turn that to her advantage. Her life seems to be in order, until disturbing events begin to occur. There has been screaming in the woods and the manor overlooking the town has lit up for the first time in 10 years. The Lynburn family, who ruled the town a generation ago and who all left without warning, have returned. Now Kami can see that the town she has known and loved all her life is hiding a multitude of secrets--and a murderer. The key to it all just might be the boy in her head. The boy she thought was imaginary is real, and definitely and deliciously dangerous"--… (more)

144 wanted2 pay1 pay

Current discussions

YA Paranormal "Imaginary Friend" in Name that Book

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,601,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible