Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees…

Unspoken: The Lynburn Legacy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sarah Rees Brennan

Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Reviewed, Favorites, ARC, Owned, Amazon Vine
Rating:*****
Tags:teen, fantasy, romance

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (2012)

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: A more complex novel about magic and the mysterious family that rules a sleepy town.

i love this book a lot. it makes me happy and makes me laugh really really hard. its a very clever idea and is a wonderful series. i would be happy to read it again ( )
  cupcakeclark | Jun 21, 2017 |
In a modern, sassy magical quest, Kami knows she’s quirky, but having a best friend who she communicates telepathically is weird even by her standards. Then, he shows up with his strange family and she discovers dark secrets lurk in her quiet, sleepy town.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jun 8, 2017 |
Review coming soon! ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
This was a gift from a YA Lit lover friend who insisted that I read this trilogy. This is also my very first Gothic novel. Perhaps no other author has captivated Gothic fiction in such a mysterious and vivid narration. This brilliantly written first book of a trilogy gave me absolute chills as I read, transfixed by the story of Sorry-in-a-Vale and its residents. I started reading after dinner, when there was absolute quiet and silence, coming from the streets. The book started with a chirpy school going editor of a school paper and her life in the town. Then, come the Lynburns. A mysterious old family returning to their home town after 17 years. This girl, our protagonist is Kami, a Japanese-Brit living with her family on the edge of the woods, close to the Aurimere, the Lynburns’ family manor. I love the exotic names that Brennan has come up for her characters. We get introduced to the voice in Kami’s head, a boy with whom she shares a mind connection since childhood. He is everything we imagine him to be. And I am going to use ‘mysterious’ a couple of hundred times throughout this review for lack of a better adjective right now. I like it how Brennan creates a very visual narrative through her writing. The last time I imagined on such a racy scale was perhaps after reading Enid Blyton’s The Famous Five. Yes, I reread children’s literature from childhood quite often.

So, Kami is setting up her newspaper headquarters in a room off one of the school buildings and gets greeted by Ash Lynburn, who makes an entry with a camera dangling from his neck and with a magnetic aura that left me quite speechless. Believe me as I write here, that I fell irrevocably in love with this introduction of a character and is absolutely now one of my all-time favourites. They meet a couple of times later, once when Kami fixes his car engine, (Yes! Another one of my favourite characterisations for a girl and guy in YA fiction.) and charms Ash Lynburn off his socks. He is certainly intrigued by her, I could tell that as I smiled to myself. I feel like I will probably write spoilers here, so, let me just cut short my depiction of the entire story and write that Kami comes across The Lynburns’ family history and pieces together other happenings in her quaint little town. She also comes face-to-face with the voice in her head which she thought was imaginery. And be still, my beating heart- we meet Jared Lynburn. WOW! I said aloud with an imaginary cupid dancing around my head. This was utterly unexpected. If this review doesn’t tempt you to read the book, well, I don’t know what else will.

The book ends on a cliffhanger but of course, I have the second book. :D ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
There are a few things you must do, in order to enjoy Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. First, you must prepare yourself to laugh out loud in public. Next, you must be prepared for the sass - and given the author, this is an expectation.

Unspoken is set in a little town called Sorry-in-the-Vale where the Lynburns rule the town. Kami, a smart, witty high-schooler (with a personality the size of an elephant and the endurance of the energizer bunny) is determined to find out the secret of the Lynburns and why the family is feared in town.

The investigation takes a dangerous turn, which only fuels Kami’s desire for truth, and with the help of her perpetually lazy (but hot) best friend, Angela, and her imaginary-turned-real friend, Jared, Kami finds herself heading up to Aurimere House a little more often than comfortable.

I would say that Unspoken is a modern gothic parody. It has all the elements of a good gothic novel - a mysterious house, a handsome cast, an inquisitive lady and the lean towards the supernatural - but, it does it in such a tongue-in-cheek way that you can’t help but laugh at these elements.

The characters are endearing, even though there were times I was wondering who was speaking - they are all cheeky characters, so sometimes they blended into one. The plot is fast paced and even though there wasn’t a huge twist in the end, it was a pretty good set-up and I am looking forward to the second book.

I love reading Sarah’s characters, they are just fun to read and they will make you laugh, so be careful when reading in public, least your fellow travelers question your sanity.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |

Sarah Rees Brennanprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, BethCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Kami Glass is in love with someone she's never met--a boy she's talked to in her head since she was born. This has made her an outsider in the sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but she has learned ways to turn that to her advantage. Her life seems to be in order, until disturbing events begin to occur. There has been screaming in the woods and the manor overlooking the town has lit up for the first time in 10 years. The Lynburn family, who ruled the town a generation ago and who all left without warning, have returned. Now Kami can see that the town she has known and loved all her life is hiding a multitude of secrets--and a murderer. The key to it all just might be the boy in her head. The boy she thought was imaginary is real, and definitely and deliciously dangerous"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible