Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Thinking, Fast and Slow (original 2011; edition 2013)

by Daniel Kahneman (Author)

Member:madharasan
Title:Thinking, Fast and Slow
Authors:Daniel Kahneman (Author)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2013), Edition: 1st, 499 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, To Read This Year
Tags:Psychology, Self Improvement

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (2011)

English (130)  Dutch (4)  French (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (138)
Looks at the way our minds work, and how we make decisions. This book reveals how our minds are tripped up by error and prejudice (even when we think we are being logical), and gives you practical techniques for slower, smarter thinking. It enables you to make better decisions at work, at home, and in everything you do.
  JRCornell | Oct 28, 2018 |
I've definitely been slowed in my reading pace recently with everything being so busy at work, but I finally made it through a book again - this one was well worth it, at least. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 30, 2018 |
This book is insightful and tought-provoking from beginning to end. A great read for anybody who wants to better understand humans, how they make decisions, and how they view the world. ( )
  sherrihs | Jul 28, 2018 |
This is one of the most detailed books, outside of textbooks, that I've read. It is organized very well. I leave it to you to look for a summary to get an idea of the contents. I listened to an audio version, but if you seriously want to absorb the material, I recommend a text version. I would like to give a better idea about the contents, but it really is too exhaustive. I can only say that it is well done and is not one of those repetitive self-help books. I heard many points with detailed studies showing me that most of us indeed have faults in the way we think. These faults are part of our being human and much of our "fast" thinking makes it possible for us to survive. I heard that basically just learning about these problem areas will not actually cause a change in how I make decisions for the most part. At the same time, I am encouraged to at least understand that the biases are there in our thinking so that I may be willing to entertain the thought that I might be wrong. I am maybe a bit more alert to the ways that my decision-making may even be manipulated.

I was especially interested in the two selves: the remembering self and the experiencing self. This section alone was reason to read the book. ( )
1 vote ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Anyone who has ever studied economics has probably marveled at the ridiculous assumption that economists make: That people weigh the outcome of their choices and make rational decisions. In the past few years, of course, a few books have shown how bad this assumption is. People just aren't that smart and they certainly aren't that rational. This book provides ample evidence of the types of errors we commonly make when thinking and weighing decisions. Backed by a plethora of research, the conclusions can help us avoid the pitfall of the fast-thinking part of our brain, which tends to simplify decisions and is prone to error, and engage the slow-thinking part, which has a better chance of doing the right thing. It took me a long time to read this book, because though it is engagingly written, it is still pretty dense. And it doesn't settle for just a few examples; it does its best to make its case as irrefutable as possible, and that means it weights in at almost 500 pages. But every page is worth your time. My only minor criticism is that their is too much avoidance of math; in a few instances having the probably of something actually expressed mathematically, and showing how that answer was arrived at, would have made things a bit clearer.

Overall, however, a masterful effort. My home-schooled daughter read several economics texts this year, but I think this is the type of book to save for last, as a capstone. Highly, highly recommended. it will save your from some serious mistakes. ( )
  datrappert | Jul 8, 2018 |
The replication crisis in psychology does not extend to every line of inquiry, and just a portion of the work described in Thinking, Fast and Slow has been cast in shadows. Kahneman and Tversky’s own research, for example, turns out to be resilient. Large-scale efforts to recreate their classic findings have so far been successful. One bias they discovered—people’s tendency to overvalue the first piece of information that they get, in what is known as the “anchoring effect”—not only passed a replication test, but turned out to be much stronger than Kahneman and Tversky thought.

Still, entire chapters of Kahneman’s book may need to be rewritten.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Daniel Engber (Dec 1, 2016)

"It is an astonishingly rich book: lucid, profound, full of intellectual surprises and self-help value. It is consistently entertaining and frequently touching..."
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Jim Holt (Nov 25, 2011)

Thinking, Fast and Slow is nonetheless rife with lessons on how to overcome bias in daily life.

Daniel Kahnemanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Egan, PatrickReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eivind LilleskjæretTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gunnar NyquistTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Amos Tversky
Every author, I suppose, has in mind a setting in which readers of his or her work could benefit from having read it.
extreme outcomes (both high and low) are more likely to be found in small than in large samples. This explanation is not causal. The small population of a county neither causes nor prevents cancer; it merely allows the incidence of cancer to be much higher (or much lower) than it is in the larger population. The deeper truth is that there is nothing to explain. The incidence of cancer is not truly lower or higher than normal in a county with a small population, it just appears to be so in a particular year because of an accident of sampling. If we repeat the analysis next year, we will observe the same general pattern of extreme results in the small samples, but the counties where cancer was common last year will not necessarily have a high incidence this year. If this is the case, the differences between dense and rural counties do not really count as facts: they are what scientists call artifacts, observations that are produced entirely by some aspect of the method of research - in this case, by differences in sample size. p 111
Even now, you must exert some mental effort to see that the following two statements mean exactly the same thing: Large samples are more precise than small samples. Small samples yield extreme results more often than large samples do. p 111
When experts and the public disagree on their priorities, [Paul Slovic] says, 'Each side must respect the insights and intelligence of the other.' p 140
You can also take precautions that will inoculate you against regret. Perhaps the most useful is to b explicit about the anticipation of regret. If you can remember when things go badly that you considered the possibility of regret carefully before deciding, you are likely to experience less of it. You should also know that regret and hindsight bias will come together, so anything you can do to preclude hindsight is likely to be helpful. My personal hindsight-avoiding policy is to be either very thorough or completely casual when making a decision with long-term consequences. Hindsight is worse when you think a little, just enough to tell yourself later, 'I almost made a better choice.'     Daniel Gilbert and his colleagues provocatively claim that people generally anticipate more regret than they will actually experience, because they underestimate the efficacy of the psychological defenses they will deploy - which they label the 'psychological immune system.' Their recommendation is that you should not put too much weight on regret; even if you have some, it will hurt less than you now think.p 352
Unless there is an obvious reason to do otherwise, most of us passively accept decision problems as they are framed and therefore rarely have an opportunity to discover the extent to which our preferences are frame-bound rather than reality-bound. p 367
Le système 1 est rapide , intuitif et émotionel ;le système 2 est plus lent , plus réfléchi , plus controléet plus logique .Fruit d toute une vie de recherche ''Système 1/Système 2" dessine une théorie brillante ,qui offer des prolongements pratiques immédiats dans la vie quotidienne et professionnelle.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374275637, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2011: Drawing on decades of research in psychology that resulted in a Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, Daniel Kahneman takes readers on an exploration of what influences thought example by example, sometimes with unlikely word pairs like "vomit and banana." System 1 and System 2, the fast and slow types of thinking, become characters that illustrate the psychology behind things we think we understand but really don't, such as intuition. Kahneman's transparent and careful treatment of his subject has the potential to change how we think, not just about thinking, but about how we live our lives. Thinking, Fast and Slow gives deep--and sometimes frightening--insight about what goes on inside our heads: the psychological basis for reactions, judgments, recognition, choices, conclusions, and much more.  --JoVon Sotak

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:22 -0400)

Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities and also the faults and biases of fast thinking, and the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on peoples' thoughts and choices.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,235,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible