Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman

Thinking, fast and slow (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Daniel Kahneman

Member:dbvisel
Title:Thinking, fast and slow
Authors:Daniel Kahneman
Info:New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2011.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:work, psychology, decision making, economics

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (2011)

English (95)  Dutch (3)  All languages (98)
Reading, fast and slow....
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
I think the book is filled with interesting ideas and concepts - some more than others. The first section of the book "Two Systems" was my favourite - things such as association, norms, attention, cognitive ease are discussed in this part. I found several ideas especially in this section that I could apply to my daily life - from how marketing works, how best to construct surveys for research purposes, to when diet fails (and why). Of course, these are only examples of how I found the information applicable to my personal life but the information given in the book is I think useful for many people, of many different lifestyles and habits.

However, the book as a whole I had a few issues with. First of all, it was rather leaning towards economics in terms of subject and since it's not a subject I find particularly interesting (especially after reading Freakonomics, ugh), I didn't like this aspect of the book. The same goes for the many examples throughout the book, meant to illustrate different concepts and ideas; they were often of the monetary kind and I found them harder to relate to (whereas the examples that were not to do with money, I found easier to understand and visualize). I think my problem was that I was expecting something a bit different, and had I known the economical lean I would've possibly passed it up.

I also thought this book overall was written in a rather dull way - had the book been written in a somewhat more "colourful" way the book could've been much more enjoyable to read. Sometimes it was more of a slog, even when the ideas themselves were interesting, and for a nonfiction book meant for "regular people" (meaning non-academic writing) this is a weakness, imo. I also felt like some concepts were dealt with a bit heavy-handedly, but this might be more of a preference thing.

I didn't agree with everything Daniel Kahneman concludes (sometimes there was maybe a bit of a tendency towards simplification) but I found the book as a whole interesting nonetheless. I do recommend it as an audiobook though (I switched between reading the physical copy and listening to the audio, speeded up, and I found the audio much easier to give a pass to the 'dull' writing).
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
It's difficult to describe this book as it's so dense with information, studies, results and conclusions. It details thinking, fast (intuitive at a glance) and slow (active and thought provoking). There is something for everyone, parents, students, teachers, workers, managers, leaders ... and on and on. I was a bit disillusioned with many of the conclusions drawn in the last chapter and the political nature of it "spin" (or possibly an attempt to "nudge"). However, I realize this is the authors purview and understand fully (just don't agree with the logic/arguments). Other than that one negative comment, the book was awesome - read it and judge for yourself! ( )
  MathMaverick | Jan 17, 2016 |
This book was very interesting. It talks of how we make decision and how we think we are thinking the decisions out thoroughly but how our brain processes differently than what we might say. For instance people who understand probabilities may bet on something even though the likelihood of it happening is very small. whereas they should know not to waste there time. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
"It is an astonishingly rich book: lucid, profound, full of intellectual surprises and self-help value. It is consistently entertaining and frequently touching..."
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Jim Holt (Nov 25, 2011)

Thinking, Fast and Slow is nonetheless rife with lessons on how to overcome bias in daily life.

Daniel Kahnemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Egan, PatrickReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eivind LilleskjæretTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gunnar NyquistTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Amos Tversky
Every author, I suppose, has in mind a setting in which readers of his or her work could benefit from having read it.
extreme outcomes (both high and low) are more likely to be found in small than in large samples. This explanation is not causal. The small population of a county neither causes nor prevents cancer; it merely allows the incidence of cancer to be much higher (or much lower) than it is in the larger population. The deeper truth is that there is nothing to explain. The incidence of cancer is not truly lower or higher than normal in a county with a small population, it just appears to be so in a particular year because of an accident of sampling. If we repeat the analysis next year, we will observe the same general pattern of extreme results in the small samples, but the counties where cancer was common last year will not necessarily have a high incidence this year. If this is the case, the differences between dense and rural counties do not really count as facts: they are what scientists call artifacts, observations that are produced entirely by some aspect of the method of research - in this case, by differences in sample size. p 111
Even now, you must exert some mental effort to see that the following two statements mean exactly the same thing: Large samples are more precise than small samples. Small samples yield extreme results more often than large samples do. p 111
When experts and the public disagree on their priorities, [Paul Slovic] says, 'Each side must respect the insights and intelligence of the other.' p 140
You can also take precautions that will inoculate you against regret. Perhaps the most useful is to b explicit about the anticipation of regret. If you can remember when things go badly that you considered the possibility of regret carefully before deciding, you are likely to experience less of it. You should also know that regret and hindsight bias will come together, so anything you can do to preclude hindsight is likely to be helpful. My personal hindsight-avoiding policy is to be either very thorough or completely casual when making a decision with long-term consequences. Hindsight is worse when you think a little, just enough to tell yourself later, 'I almost made a better choice.'     Daniel Gilbert and his colleagues provocatively claim that people generally anticipate more regret than they will actually experience, because they underestimate the efficacy of the psychological defenses they will deploy - which they label the 'psychological immune system.' Their recommendation is that you should not put too much weight on regret; even if you have some, it will hurt less than you now think.p 352
Unless there is an obvious reason to do otherwise, most of us passively accept decision problems as they are framed and therefore rarely have an opportunity to discover the extent to which our preferences are frame-bound rather than reality-bound. p 367

Le système 1 est rapide , intuitif et émotionel ;le système 2 est plus lent , plus réfléchi , plus controléet plus logique .Fruit d toute une vie de recherche ''Système 1/Système 2" dessine une théorie brillante ,qui offer des prolongements pratiques immédiats dans la vie quotidienne et professionnelle.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374275637, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2011: Drawing on decades of research in psychology that resulted in a Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, Daniel Kahneman takes readers on an exploration of what influences thought example by example, sometimes with unlikely word pairs like "vomit and banana." System 1 and System 2, the fast and slow types of thinking, become characters that illustrate the psychology behind things we think we understand but really don't, such as intuition. Kahneman's transparent and careful treatment of his subject has the potential to change how we think, not just about thinking, but about how we live our lives. Thinking, Fast and Slow gives deep--and sometimes frightening--insight about what goes on inside our heads: the psychological basis for reactions, judgments, recognition, choices, conclusions, and much more.  --JoVon Sotak

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:22 -0400)

Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities and also the faults and biases of fast thinking, and the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on peoples' thoughts and choices.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,858,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible