Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Thinking, Fast and Slow (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Daniel Kahneman

Member:mraginsky
Title:Thinking, Fast and Slow
Authors:Daniel Kahneman
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:cognitive psychology, human decision-making, rationality

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (2011)

English (83)  Dutch (3)  All languages (86)
My wife frequently ribs me about all the monotonous non-fiction I prefer to read, but even I couldn't make it through this one. I don't see how Thinking, Fast and Slow became a thing. It's an interesting concept, unnaturally stretched to over 500 pages, and set in some of the driest writing I've ever read for a bestseller. ( )
1 vote Daniel.Estes | Jun 24, 2015 |
35% done ( )
  ecoprob | Apr 25, 2015 |
eBook version also available from Christchurch City Libraries
CORE Library Card
H228848301
PIN 1234

Review on Google books http://goo.gl/ph4l1d
Daniel Kahneman, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences for his seminal work in psychology challenging the rational model of judgment and decision making, is one of the world's most important thinkers. His ideas have had a profound impact on many fields-including business, medicine, and politics-but until now, he has never brought together his many years of research in one book.

In Thinking, Fast and Slow, Kahneman takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think and make choices. One system is fast, intuitive, and emotional; the other is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities-and also the faults and biases-of fast thinking, and reveals the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on our thoughts and behaviour. The importance of properly framing risks, the effects of cognitive biases on how we view others, the dangers of prediction, the right ways to develop skills, the pros and cons of fear and optimism, the difference between our experience and memory of events, the real components of happiness-each of these can be understood only by knowing how the two systems work together to shape our judgments and decisions.

Drawing on a lifetime's experimental experience, Kahneman reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking. He offers practical and enlightening insights into how choices are made in both our professional and our personal lives-and how we can use different techniques to guard against the mental glitches that often get us into trouble. Thinking, Fast and Slow will transform the way you take decisions and experience the world.
  COREEducation | Apr 1, 2015 |
An amazing book for a few different reasons. First, his whole point of it, the two ways of thinking... but he broadens his scope and includes very practical implications. This is a very important read.

The reason I read it was because I saw it on a syllabus of a famous NYTimes columnist in his Yale class on "Humility." I thought, a book on psychology of the mind, relating to social economics, as it pertains to human decisions and life decisions- being a text in a course on humility. Fascinating! Do I envy those students. ( )
  aegossman | Feb 25, 2015 |
Kahneman writes about the mind and its operating in what he calls System 1, the experiencing self, immediate, surface, quick, and shallow. And System 2, the remembering self, rational, statistical, precise. When I was finished reading the book I was reminded of the 16th century novel - Don Quixote. In a way Don Quixote was a System 2 thinker, not that he used statistical reasoning but he pushed everything he saw through the grid of his own particular reasoning - chivalry. His counterpart was a System 1 thinker Sancho Panza. Both writers have similar insights. They created imaginary people and ask the questions what would they do in given situations. Kahneman gives us two choices, those being the more immediate impulsive, gut actor or the one who forces thoughts through the grid of statistical reasoning. The truth of the matter is there are more than two different types of reasoning, statistical reasoning being just one option. Cervantes gives us another option, basically the person who pushes every thought and action through his tightly embraced philosophical construct of chivalry. And of course he went crazy. This book was a bit of work for me because the author is often drawing you to System 2 thinking which makes you work. The book for me was well worth the read. ( )
  SamTekoa | Feb 7, 2015 |
"It is an astonishingly rich book: lucid, profound, full of intellectual surprises and self-help value. It is consistently entertaining and frequently touching..."
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Jim Holt (Nov 25, 2011)

Thinking, Fast and Slow is nonetheless rife with lessons on how to overcome bias in daily life.

Daniel Kahnemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Egan, PatrickReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eivind LilleskjæretTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gunnar NyquistTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Amos Tversky
Every author, I suppose, has in mind a setting in which readers of his or her work could benefit from having read it.
extreme outcomes (both high and low) are more likely to be found in small than in large samples. This explanation is not causal. The small population of a county neither causes nor prevents cancer; it merely allows the incidence of cancer to be much higher (or much lower) than it is in the larger population. The deeper truth is that there is nothing to explain. The incidence of cancer is not truly lower or higher than normal in a county with a small population, it just appears to be so in a particular year because of an accident of sampling. If we repeat the analysis next year, we will observe the same general pattern of extreme results in the small samples, but the counties where cancer was common last year will not necessarily have a high incidence this year. If this is the case, the differences between dense and rural counties do not really count as facts: they are what scientists call artifacts, observations that are produced entirely by some aspect of the method of research - in this case, by differences in sample size. p 111
Even now, you must exert some mental effort to see that the following two statements mean exactly the same thing: Large samples are more precise than small samples. Small samples yield extreme results more often than large samples do. p 111
When experts and the public disagree on their priorities, [Paul Slovic] says, 'Each side must respect the insights and intelligence of the other.' p 140
You can also take precautions that will inoculate you against regret. Perhaps the most useful is to b explicit about the anticipation of regret. If you can remember when things go badly that you considered the possibility of regret carefully before deciding, you are likely to experience less of it. You should also know that regret and hindsight bias will come together, so anything you can do to preclude hindsight is likely to be helpful. My personal hindsight-avoiding policy is to be either very thorough or completely casual when making a decision with long-term consequences. Hindsight is worse when you think a little, just enough to tell yourself later, 'I almost made a better choice.'     Daniel Gilbert and his colleagues provocatively claim that people generally anticipate more regret than they will actually experience, because they underestimate the efficacy of the psychological defenses they will deploy - which they label the 'psychological immune system.' Their recommendation is that you should not put too much weight on regret; even if you have some, it will hurt less than you now think.p 352
Unless there is an obvious reason to do otherwise, most of us passively accept decision problems as they are framed and therefore rarely have an opportunity to discover the extent to which our preferences are frame-bound rather than reality-bound. p 367

Le système 1 est rapide , intuitif et émotionel ;le système 2 est plus lent , plus réfléchi , plus controléet plus logique .Fruit d toute une vie de recherche ''Système 1/Système 2" dessine une théorie brillante ,qui offer des prolongements pratiques immédiats dans la vie quotidienne et professionnelle.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374275637, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2011: Drawing on decades of research in psychology that resulted in a Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, Daniel Kahneman takes readers on an exploration of what influences thought example by example, sometimes with unlikely word pairs like "vomit and banana." System 1 and System 2, the fast and slow types of thinking, become characters that illustrate the psychology behind things we think we understand but really don't, such as intuition. Kahneman's transparent and careful treatment of his subject has the potential to change how we think, not just about thinking, but about how we live our lives. Thinking, Fast and Slow gives deep--and sometimes frightening--insight about what goes on inside our heads: the psychological basis for reactions, judgments, recognition, choices, conclusions, and much more.  --JoVon Sotak

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:22 -0400)

Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities and also the faults and biases of fast thinking, and the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on peoples' thoughts and choices.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,907,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible