The Demon Lover: A Novel by Juliet Dark

The Demon Lover: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Juliet Dark

Member:luciefuentes
Title:The Demon Lover: A Novel
Authors:Juliet Dark
Info:Ballantine Books (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 448 pages

The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark

fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
3.5/5
Won on Firstreads as Incubus by Carol Goodman UK edition, The Demon Lover requested as egalley from Random House through Netgalley.

Yes, my Dear Reader, the confusion is all mine. Would you know by looking at Incubus and The Demon Lover that the book is one and the same? I didn't. So what happened? I've won Incubus and then requested The Demon Lover from Netgalley. :))) Laugh now, I won't begrudge you.

Sometimes I really don't understand the publishers. Could they at least give any indication that this is the same book by not changing the authors name for the US cover?

Anyway, let's get back to the important bits which is what I thought of the book itself. And yes, I've read half of each book just to make sure.

It's not a particularly straightforward book. I was getting confused a lot with the main character. She is literally hot and cold. I don't think she knew what she wanted or what she was doing.

The supporting characters however were marvelous. Carol Goodman created this frozen in time, winter-ish fairytal-ish environment which I never get tired of. There are fairies, witches, and magical doors between worlds, old haunted houses, noir-ish writers, Bela Lugosi type of vampires and even Mediterranean magical creatures.

The evil is very predictable, but the whole Gothic spirit of the book I thought was marvelously done. I didn't really care about Callie and her incubus, but her familiar mouse Rolph was adorable!

So, if you like Gothic literature and its atmosphere it will be a comfort read for you, but if you want to read a paranormal romance, I wouldn't call this book one. This is something else entirely. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
You know? I liked this much more than I thought I would. It's not going to change your life or anything, and there are some flaws, and maybe its the bad weather here in New England, but it was a nice way to spend a few hours. ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
I read the series and enjoyed it as a light read. The characters were familiar and drew me in. I finished the second book before the final was released and I couldn't help but express eager anticipation for the final novel. ( )
  GingerSegreti | Jul 12, 2015 |
Ended up loving this. It has a strong story and I really love Callie. She's educated and a strong woman. Many of the demon love making scenes reminded me of [b:Lasher|31340|Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #2)|Anne Rice|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347555064s/31340.jpg|2926033] (straight up!), but I loved that book so whatevs. I'll definitely be reading the sequel as soon as possible!! ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |

'This is where all stories start, on the edge of a dark wood...'

Ever since moving to Fairwick to take up a teaching post at the local college, Callie has been having vivid, erotic dreams about a man made out of moonlight and shadows. Dreams she begins to fear as well as anticipate...

She learns that her home – a Victorian cottage at the edge of a wood she bought on a whim – is supposedly haunted. And then her new – and rather strange – colleagues tell her a local legend about an incubus demon with a human past who was enchanted by a fairy queen...

I gasped, or tried to. My mouth opened, but I couldn’t draw breath. His lips, pearly wet, parted and he blew into my mouth. My lungs expanded beneath his weight. When I exhaled he sucked my breath in and his weight turned from cold marble into warm living flesh.

Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of her having written the bestselling book The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she’s found herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.

But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: Her incubus is not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the demon, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this supernatural lover from her heart.

“Vivid and enchanting . . . Dark’s letter-perfect gothic style is a satisfying tribute to previous gothic novels, and the paranormal elements, including incubi, fae, vampires, and witches, make this a stellar romance.”—Booklist (Top 10 SF/Fantasy)

“[Juliet] Dark develops a complex, detailed world where magic, reason, and gothic literature enjoyably intersect.”—
Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

Callie has a demon lover--an incubus--and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then she makes another startling discovery. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the incubus, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult--banishing this demon lover from her heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible