The Demon Lover: A Novel by Juliet Dark

The Demon Lover: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Juliet Dark

Member:luciefuentes
Title:The Demon Lover: A Novel
Authors:Juliet Dark
Info:Ballantine Books (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 448 pages

The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark

Recently added bydividedby5, Foodang, swachowska, BookaholicCat, private library, ohkamikaze, erinalbion, Luthien_

The Demon Lover is the first book in the Fairwick Chronicles by Juliet Dark.

I thought The Demon Lover was a YA novel, but after couple of pages and some steamy scenes I realized my mistake. I should have read the blurb, I guess the beautiful cover is to blame in this case. Also it’s very difficult to categorize this book, it’s not a paranormal romance nor an urban fantasy, it’s more like a mix of paranormal, romance and fantasy with a gothic touch.

The blurb describes very well what The Demon Lover is about. Adding more to it will be giving too much away of the story.
The pace during the first chapters of the book was a bit slow, but after a while the pace picks up and story becomes really interesting.

What made this book a good book was its characters, especially the secondary characters and its setting.
I liked Callie, even though sometimes she felt too dense, I don’t know if she couldn’t see what was in front of her or maybe she just didn’t want to see the obvious.

The Demon Lover aka the incubus is a mysterious character with very strong feelings. It was easier for me to connect with him than with Callie because his reason and intentions were clear from day one.
As I said before I loved the secondary characters, they are all diverse and interesting, and they all bring something different to the story.
Some of them were really surprises, some other not that much but still they all complemented the story beautifully, making it more enjoyable. We learn a lot about them but still there is more to be discover. One of my favorite characters was Ralph, I loved how that tiny character had some much presence. He was just cuteness overload.

Another thing that was really nice about this book was the folklore. It’s clear Mrs. Dark knows what she’s writing about, she knows her legends and her mythology. Even though I knew some of the legends outlined in the book, some other were completely new.

Now let’s talk about of the setting, the town of Fairwick is a complex character in its own. With its gothic university, the “enchanted” forest, and the magic houses, Fairwick became a place I would love to visit. Also Mrs. Dark writing is very vivid and precisely descriptive almost giving life to Fairwick. The world building is one of the best things this book has, the attention giving to detail was topnotch, I just needed to close my eyes to be in Fairwick.

The Demon Lover is well written and well paced (after first chapters), although a big predictable in regards to who the villain in the story is and other secondary plots, I can easily say it’s was a book I enjoyed. The end is not a proper cliffhanger but it’s one that will leave you scratching your head and wishing for the next book in this series, The Water Witch. Don’t expect a HEA because your won’t find one, you will find the hope and promise of what it could be and hopefully it will be.

The Demon Lover was my first book by Juliet Dark (she also writes as Carol Goodman) but I can guarantee you it won’t be my last. I may even check some of her previous works. If you like paranormal books with a gothic touch this is a book you may enjoy. ( )
1 vote BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

A really interesting read with engaging characters. I was hooked from the start! Terrific writing and a very nice narrative. The pace could have been a bit quicker!

Callie is so endearing and enthusiastic! She is a great heroine! I love a gal who can role with the punches and stay positive!

I have a new book crush in Ralph! He is just so sweet!

I can not wait to see what else will happen in this series! What a great adventure!

Cover Art - Gorgeous! I love the cover and would most assuredly pick it up off the shelf! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Very entertaining and interesting. I enjoyed the world building as well as the characters, especially the sensual literature of DaMotte. Callie herself was wonderful and I felt her passion for fairy tales and folklore as well as her dark lovah. I look forward to the next book in the series where I hope to revisit her incubus! ( )
  darkand27 | Sep 14, 2013 |
First let’s say this book was not what I expected. When I received Demon Lover from Net Gallery I thought oh this looks good and it did not disappoint. The beginning the book started off a bit slow but do not get discouraged it moves along pretty fast and before you know it your half way done. There are some twists and turns in the novel which kept me very intrigued.

Juliet Dare writes this story in the first person; it flows nicely, easy to read and is well written. This seems to be her first book published under the name Juliet Dare, but she also writes under the name of Carol Goodman. Her writing style is good and I will check out both names to see what else is published out there.

So the story begins with us meeting Callie McFay, she is in the small town of Fairwick for an interview for a teaching position at the local college. As we get to know Callie we learn about the loss of her parents and her childhood spirit/shadow that comforted her at night by telling her stories like her parents used to.

As she is trying to settle in to her new home and job her spirit/ shadow returns to her at night and takes the form of a handsome and seductive man. Now her dreams have changed into him taking her body and ravishing her in the most satisfying ways. Callie soon figures out that these may not be dreams at all and things are starting to feel very real. She does not realize that she is being possessed by an incubus.

As Callie learns more about the town of Fairwich and figures out her dream lover is a demon who was banished to live in the shadow world and gains human form by feeding off his prey.

Everyone seems to be working together to cast out the demon/incubus, Callie is now very torn how will she be able to help banish her demon lover? ( )
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
*I received a free ARC of The Demon Lover from Ballantine via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.*

This and other reviews can be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

When Callie decides to take the job she is offered in Fairwick, little does she know just how much her life will change. She is amazed at their folklore department, and the library at the college is more than she could ever dream of. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |

'This is where all stories start, on the edge of a dark wood...'

Ever since moving to Fairwick to take up a teaching post at the local college, Callie has been having vivid, erotic dreams about a man made out of moonlight and shadows. Dreams she begins to fear as well as anticipate...

She learns that her home – a Victorian cottage at the edge of a wood she bought on a whim – is supposedly haunted. And then her new – and rather strange – colleagues tell her a local legend about an incubus demon with a human past who was enchanted by a fairy queen...

I gasped, or tried to. My mouth opened, but I couldn’t draw breath. His lips, pearly wet, parted and he blew into my mouth. My lungs expanded beneath his weight. When I exhaled he sucked my breath in and his weight turned from cold marble into warm living flesh.

Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of her having written the bestselling book The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she’s found herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.

But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: Her incubus is not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the demon, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this supernatural lover from her heart.

“Vivid and enchanting . . . Dark’s letter-perfect gothic style is a satisfying tribute to previous gothic novels, and the paranormal elements, including incubi, fae, vampires, and witches, make this a stellar romance.”—Booklist (Top 10 SF/Fantasy)

“[Juliet] Dark develops a complex, detailed world where magic, reason, and gothic literature enjoyably intersect.”—
Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:55 -0400)

Callie has a demon lover--an incubus--and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then she makes another startling discovery. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the incubus, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult--banishing this demon lover from her heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,739,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible