The Demon Lover: A Novel by Juliet Dark

The Demon Lover: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Juliet Dark

1994459,063 (3.59)2
Member:ktu35114
Title:The Demon Lover: A Novel
Authors:Juliet Dark
Info:Ballantine Books (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:NetGalley, Paranormal Romance, Gothic, Witches, Wizards, Magic, Incubus, Fantasy, Adult

The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark

Very entertaining and interesting. I enjoyed the world building as well as the characters, especially the sensual literature of DaMotte. Callie herself was wonderful and I felt her passion for fairy tales and folklore as well as her dark lovah. I look forward to the next book in the series where I hope to revisit her incubus! ( )
  darkand27 | Sep 14, 2013 |
First let’s say this book was not what I expected. When I received Demon Lover from Net Gallery I thought oh this looks good and it did not disappoint. The beginning the book started off a bit slow but do not get discouraged it moves along pretty fast and before you know it your half way done. There are some twists and turns in the novel which kept me very intrigued.

Juliet Dare writes this story in the first person; it flows nicely, easy to read and is well written. This seems to be her first book published under the name Juliet Dare, but she also writes under the name of Carol Goodman. Her writing style is good and I will check out both names to see what else is published out there.

So the story begins with us meeting Callie McFay, she is in the small town of Fairwick for an interview for a teaching position at the local college. As we get to know Callie we learn about the loss of her parents and her childhood spirit/shadow that comforted her at night by telling her stories like her parents used to.

As she is trying to settle in to her new home and job her spirit/ shadow returns to her at night and takes the form of a handsome and seductive man. Now her dreams have changed into him taking her body and ravishing her in the most satisfying ways. Callie soon figures out that these may not be dreams at all and things are starting to feel very real. She does not realize that she is being possessed by an incubus.

As Callie learns more about the town of Fairwich and figures out her dream lover is a demon who was banished to live in the shadow world and gains human form by feeding off his prey.

Everyone seems to be working together to cast out the demon/incubus, Callie is now very torn how will she be able to help banish her demon lover? ( )
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
*I received a free ARC of The Demon Lover from Ballantine via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.*

This and other reviews can be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

When Callie decides to take the job she is offered in Fairwick, little does she know just how much her life will change. She is amazed at their folklore department, and the library at the college is more than she could ever dream of. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Review on Fire & Ice

I was granted this book to read through Net Gallery and I was very excited to read it. I know you should not judge a book by its cover but the cover art and then the summary drew me in. So I was set up to really like and enjoy this book. Sadly I really just did not.

So why didn’t I like this book? For me there were a lot of plot holes in it things that clearly did not seem to have the background to make sense. How did Callie know she was the descendent of a curse creating witch? Or why love the incubus when he is a shadow but not when he is a real man? This was perplexing to me and of course the lack of a happy ever after makes this to me not a paranormal romance at all.

The story was also too cluttered with background characters. There were so many side characters that had partially or very little explained stories so you cannot really grasp on to anyone and decide you like them or dislike them. When I read a book I want at least one character I can feel truly drawn to with their story. There was just too many buzzing around in this one to be useful.

Now someone who does not mind a bit of clutter in characters and the lack of a happy ever after might enjoy this book. However for me there were just too many short comings to really center myself with the book and enjoy it. I might give the second book a read when I am given the chance to see if I can warm to the characters anymore but I am not sure.
  LadyAmbrosia | Apr 18, 2013 |
I enjoyed Carol Goodman’s book Arcadia Falls earlier this year, and her cowritten book Black Swan Rising last year so I was really excited to read her new book Incubus, the first in a new urban fantasy series.

The plot starts pretty slowly, Callie moves to Fairwick to teach folklore. Very quickly as the reader you start to get the feeling that something is a little unusual about Fairwick, but it takes Callie a lot longer to catch on herself. I actually found this a little frustrating, Callie is supposed to be an expert in things including fairy tales, gothic fiction and demons but she just doesn’t seem to question what’s going on around her. For me the book really got into its stride after about the first third when Callie begins to discover the truth about Fairwick and her colleagues at the school. Whereas it took me a few days to get through the first third, once the plot really kicked in I couldn’t put the book down and finished it within a couple of hours.

Callie is an interesting character, I generally found that I liked her but as I’ve already said I did find her frustrating at times and wanted to shake her. I did really like the supporting cast of characters, and I liked the fact that as well as ticking the usual supernatural boxes there were a few supernatural species included that I’ve haven’t seen appearing frequently. For me this meant that there were new lores to learn a bit more about, and I think this definitely helped to keep my interest.

I think that this is a decent start to a new series and I will definitely be looking out for the next book in the series. I just wish that it had had a stronger opening and that I could have loved the book instead of thinking it was pretty good. ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |

'This is where all stories start, on the edge of a dark wood...'

Ever since moving to Fairwick to take up a teaching post at the local college, Callie has been having vivid, erotic dreams about a man made out of moonlight and shadows. Dreams she begins to fear as well as anticipate...

She learns that her home – a Victorian cottage at the edge of a wood she bought on a whim – is supposedly haunted. And then her new – and rather strange – colleagues tell her a local legend about an incubus demon with a human past who was enchanted by a fairy queen...

I gasped, or tried to. My mouth opened, but I couldn’t draw breath. His lips, pearly wet, parted and he blew into my mouth. My lungs expanded beneath his weight. When I exhaled he sucked my breath in and his weight turned from cold marble into warm living flesh.

Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of her having written the bestselling book The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she’s found herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.

But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: Her incubus is not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the demon, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this supernatural lover from her heart.

“Vivid and enchanting . . . Dark’s letter-perfect gothic style is a satisfying tribute to previous gothic novels, and the paranormal elements, including incubi, fae, vampires, and witches, make this a stellar romance.”—Booklist (Top 10 SF/Fantasy)

“[Juliet] Dark develops a complex, detailed world where magic, reason, and gothic literature enjoyably intersect.”—
Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:55 -0400)

Callie has a demon lover--an incubus--and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then she makes another startling discovery. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the incubus, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult--banishing this demon lover from her heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible