The Complete Peanuts Vol. 1: 1950-1952 by…

The Complete Peanuts Vol. 1: 1950-1952 (edition 2004)

by Charles Schulz (Author), Charles Schulz (Artist)

9191214,441 (4.48)10
Member:Ed_Gosney
Title:The Complete Peanuts Vol. 1: 1950-1952
Authors:Charles Schulz (Author)
Other authors:Charles Schulz (Artist)
Info:Fantagraphics (2015), 360 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Cartoon Art, Comic Strips, 21st Century, Fantagraphics, eBook, Kindle Edition, Kindle Prime Reading, Read

The Complete Peanuts: 1950-1952 Dailies & Sundays by Charles M. Schulz

Weapon Brown by Jason Yungbluth (guyalice)
    guyalice: Weapon Brown is a Sin City-style parody of Peanuts

Adorable and funny. ( )
  jenniebooks | Jul 18, 2018 |
I really enjoyed reading this book containing the first three years of Peanuts comic strips. Although I'd seen many before in a "selections from" collection there were other strips I'd never read before including: Violet's mudpie baking (she adds eggs and cream), Charlie Brown's first appearance wearing his trademark zigzag shirt, bratty Lucy in her crib, and later on we are treated to the first time Charlie Brown has Lucy hold the football for him.

Schulz' work is timeless despite being almost 70 years old. My copy is from Kindle, but I liked this so much that I might get the hardcover version as well. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 2, 2018 |
A collection of the first two years of Charles Schulz's comic strip, Peanuts. This is such a great series and is such a huge part of Americana that it feels almost necessary to take a look at its beginnings. And the beginnings are good; the characters aren't exactly what they are today, but it is already evident how they may develop to be the characters in the guise we now know and love. This edition also includes a lengthy interview with Schulz and, although he doesn't come across as a particularly lovable person, it's still interesting to get a hint of the man behind Charlie Brown & Co. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 7, 2017 |
One of the defining comics in the industry and a wonderfully poignant look at life. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
How can one not like Ol' Charlie Brown? There's one inside of every single one of us... Some more than others (I include myself in that portion of people). But the beginning to me wasn't so exciting... It seems Charlie Brown had to grow before he became the character as we Know today... ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |

Charles M. Schulzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Keillor, GarrisonIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Well! Here comes ol' Charlie Brown!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156097589X, Hardcover)

Good grief! The Complete Peanuts 1950-1952 launches the most ambitious and most important project in the comics and cartooning genre: over a period of 12 years, Fantagraphics Books will release every daily and Sunday strip of Charles M. Schulz's "Peanuts," the best-known and best-loved series in the world. Most everyone with an interest in its history has seen the very first strip ("Good ol' Charlie Brown... How I hate him!"), but this first volume follows it up with 287 pages (three daily strips or one Sunday per page) of vintage material in chronological order. "Peanuts" was unique at the time for portraying kids who seemed like real kids, but they also had a wisdom beyond their years, embodied especially by the lovable loser, Charlie Brown, who even in these early years has lost 4000 checker games in a row. We see him don his familiar jagged-stripe shirt for the first time (December 1950) and, at the age of 4, at his peak as a babe magnet. Shermy is the other significant boy, and the girls in their lives are Patty (not to be confused with Peppermint Patty) and Violet. Schroeder is an infant who has learned to sit up in order to play Beethoven on his toy piano. Snoopy is an anthropomorphic dog who plays baseball (April 1952) and has his own thoughts (October 1952). In March 1952 we meet a bug-eyed Lucy, who by November has been designated "Miss Fuss-Budget of 1952" and is pulling the football away from Charlie Brown (Violet had done it a year earlier). Her baby brother Linus arrives in July 1952. The book itself is beautifully packaged, the strips printed large and clear on high-quality paper and accompanied by an in-depth essay by David Michaelis, a 1987 interview with Schulz, an introduction by Garrison Keillor, and even an index of characters and subjects. It's so well-done that any reader will be impatient for the rest of the series, but in the meantime this is a book to savor. --David Horiuchi

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:58 -0400)

Collects all the "Peanuts" comic strips as originally published in newspapers, including both daily and Sunday strips.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible