The Complete Peanuts 1950-1952 by Charles M.…

The Complete Peanuts 1950-1952 (edition 2007)

by Charles M. Schulz

Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:2012-10, Comics

The Complete Peanuts: 1950-1952 Dailies & Sundays by Charles M. Schulz

Recently added byrottenhat, teeney, benmartin79, whataguy
    Weapon Brown by Jason Yungbluth (guyalice)
    guyalice: Weapon Brown is a Sin City-style parody of Peanuts

It's kind of interesting, seeing the very beginning of Peanuts, when a pack of middle-aged four-year-olds roamed the streets, spouting philosophy and other pearls of wisdom. It's also kind of interesting to see the early 1950s as a time when kids DID make fun of each other, did pull pranks, did hurt each other--as opposed to my not-so-secret love of the Carolyn Haywood Betsy books, where every child is a gift from Heaven and wouldn't say a bad word against anything.

I was a little bugged by some of the repetition--four months in and he's already recycling gags? And how many times can we recycle the formula "Charlie Brown says something to a girl. She responds. He replies with a cheap shot disguised as a pun. She chases him while he smiles at the camera and makes some reference to 'I still got it!'"? A lot, it turns out.

There was one strip I instantly recognized from Calvin & Hobbes, though--a bath time strip of "the water's too cold/too hot/too cold/too deep." Bad Watterson. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
Everybody, and I do mean everybody, loves Peanuts (and if there really should be a some poor souls out there who do not, they should be pitied and are anyway far too few to be in any way relevant).

It really is quite astonishing when you think about it – kids and grown-ups, men and women, the uneducated and the academics – no matter what people’s age, gender, level of education, no matter whether they love reading or hate it, whether they love comics or despise them - they all, almost without exception love Peanuts. Many better minds than I have attempted to explore what lies at the heart of that enduring popularity, with varying degrees of success, so I’m not even going to attempt that here; I just want to marvel for a moment at just how awesome this is. I mean, everybody loves Peanuts. Just think about it – you could stand up from your computer now, walk out on the street and address the first stranger you come across with “Aren’t Charles M. Schulz’s Peanuts just great?” True, he or she would probably look at you somewhat strangely but they’d know what you’re talking about, and – assuming you could get them to overcome their suspicions at this weird stranger – will almost certainly agree with you, too. And this is true for almost every country, and over sixty years after the first Peanuts strip was published. Is there any other work of art, literary or graphical, high-brow or low-brow, of which one could say that? Mickey Mouse is probably as popular, but hardly as well liked, Alice in Wonderland is probably as well-beloved but hardly as well-known.

Peanuts, then, quite obviously strikes a chord, and maybe the most astonishing as well as the most enduring thing about the comic is that it shows that there is such a chord to be struck, that across all differences in age, gender and cultural background there is something so essentially human in all of us that we all love the adventures of Charlie Brown, Lucy, Snoopy and their friends. But then, this might just be an indication of how far the worldwide Americanization of everything already has progressed…

The Complete Peanuts 1950-1952 is the first instalment in what is going to be a complete collection of all Peanuts daily and Sunday strips. I am struggling on how to read this – I am thinking that the best way to go about it would be to read them like they were published, one strip a day – but seeing as the comic was running for fifty years this is not an option, as at that rate, I’m not likely to live long enough to read the final volume. I can’t really see myself reading a volume in one sitting either, so I went for reading a few weeks of strips whenever I felt like it – and ended up taking over two years to finish the volume. This means I’ll have to think of another way to tackle the remaining volumes, and it means also that I after starting it that long ago, don’t really have any substantial to say on this particular volume.

The early strips are really quite different, and the main interest of this first volume is really to see how the comic settles into its groove, how the familiar characters pop up one after the other and how the characters gradually assume their familiar look, and how the strips slowly begin to take on that particular world-wise melancholy that is maybe the series main characteristic. This is a beautifully made book, and apart from the strips it contains a lengthy and very interesting interview with Charles M. Schulz – who, I was rather surprised to find out, did not like the title Peanuts at all because he did not think it was appropriate for his “dignified” comic. I find his emphasis on a category like dignity quite intriguing, and it might be worthwhile to keep that in mind while reading the series. I might even return to the subject in my post on the next volume – which hopefully it won’t take me another two years to read.
  Larou | Nov 14, 2012 |
The smaller scale and smooth lines of the early strips always appealed to memore than the later years. Here the "Li'l Folks" actually looked like conflicted and cynical children before they grew into the conflicted and cynical icons of the funny pages. Comic comfort food.
-- Eric
  BaileyCoy | Jun 30, 2007 |
"Peanuts" was the first comic strip I really loved, and I remember collecting all the book compilations in my early teens. Those books are gone now, but Fantagraphics Books has embarked upon an ambitious and overdue project of reprinting the complete series (about 50 years worth). Actually, this first couple of years begins inauspiciously; the artwork is pretty simplistic and stilted, and a lot of the gags are pretty thin or obvious. Still, there was the occasional flash of genius. Introduced in this volume are Charlie Brown, Shermy, Patty, Snoopy (these four were the only players during the first several months), Violet, Schroeder (first piano playing pg. 103), Lucy and Linus. Includes a Schulz biography, interview, and a quite useful index. A nostalgic and pleasurable collection of what would later become a great strip, and the world's most popular. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 18, 2007 |

Charles M. Schulzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keillor, GarrisonIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Well! Here comes ol' Charlie Brown!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156097589X, Hardcover)

Good grief! The Complete Peanuts 1950-1952 launches the most ambitious and most important project in the comics and cartooning genre: over a period of 12 years, Fantagraphics Books will release every daily and Sunday strip of Charles M. Schulz's "Peanuts," the best-known and best-loved series in the world. Most everyone with an interest in its history has seen the very first strip ("Good ol' Charlie Brown... How I hate him!"), but this first volume follows it up with 287 pages (three daily strips or one Sunday per page) of vintage material in chronological order. "Peanuts" was unique at the time for portraying kids who seemed like real kids, but they also had a wisdom beyond their years, embodied especially by the lovable loser, Charlie Brown, who even in these early years has lost 4000 checker games in a row. We see him don his familiar jagged-stripe shirt for the first time (December 1950) and, at the age of 4, at his peak as a babe magnet. Shermy is the other significant boy, and the girls in their lives are Patty (not to be confused with Peppermint Patty) and Violet. Schroeder is an infant who has learned to sit up in order to play Beethoven on his toy piano. Snoopy is an anthropomorphic dog who plays baseball (April 1952) and has his own thoughts (October 1952). In March 1952 we meet a bug-eyed Lucy, who by November has been designated "Miss Fuss-Budget of 1952" and is pulling the football away from Charlie Brown (Violet had done it a year earlier). Her baby brother Linus arrives in July 1952. The book itself is beautifully packaged, the strips printed large and clear on high-quality paper and accompanied by an in-depth essay by David Michaelis, a 1987 interview with Schulz, an introduction by Garrison Keillor, and even an index of characters and subjects. It's so well-done that any reader will be impatient for the rest of the series, but in the meantime this is a book to savor. --David Horiuchi

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:18 -0400)

Collects all the "Peanuts" comic strips as originally published in newspapers, including both daily and Sunday strips.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,598,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible