Miljonäärien laiva by Alistair…

Miljonäärien laiva (original 1962; edition 1997)

by Alistair MacLean, Aaro Vuoristo ((KÄÄnt.).)

Member:jouni
Title:Miljonäärien laiva
Authors:Alistair MacLean
Other authors:Aaro Vuoristo ((KÄÄnt.).)
Info:Porvoo : WSOY, 1997.
Tags:2012, adventure, thriller

The Golden Rendezvous by Alistair MacLean (1962)

English (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
This was an odd book to read and is an odd book to review. On one hand, so much of it is unbelievable and downright stupid, I want to give it two stars. On the other hand, it's pretty action packed and is somewhat of a page turner. I couldn't put it down. So I'm not sure what to say.

An atom bomb is stolen from an American base. A British ship, however, is where the plot takes place. It's truly bizarre. It's a cargo ship, okay, but has also been converted into a luxury liner -- without the traditional luxuries. It's just got 12 luxurious rooms and good food, but no pools or dancing or gambling or ports of call or anything. It goes where the captain wants it to go; there's no itinerary. And there's a waiting list of kings and presidents trying to get aboard, willing to pay millions to do so. And yet they transport cargo. Simply stupid as hell.

Be that as it may, our hero, Carter, the first officer, helps run the ship. And he turns out to be nearly omniscient, omnipotent, has near super human powers and it's simply too unbelievable to make you feel like it's remotely real. Murders start occurring on the ship. Carter figures out what's going on. Pirates from a small third world government hijack it for the purpose of hijacking another ship carrying $150 million, as this country is broke and needs the money. Carter gets shot in the leg, while others get shot too. He's transported to the hospital bay, where he is treated -- and from where he escapes to save the day, in a manner that's altogether unbelievable, again. And again, he figures out exactly what's happening -- the pirates have the bomb and are going to blow the ship with its passengers and crew to pieces so there will be no witnesses to the piracy. So he disarms the atomic bomb. With the help of a gorgeous rich girl. Naturally. And when everything is over, he is surprised to hear that they are getting married in a month. She tells him so. Bizarre ending. It reminded me of a Doris Day, Rock Hudson movie ending. Of course, this book was published in 1962, so perhaps that makes sense.

Even though there's nothing remotely believable in this book, I actually enjoyed it. It was fun to read. It had a a lot of action. It had evil characters, good heroes, the pretty girl, guns -- everything. If only the author had put some more time into making it seem real. Oh well. I guess this book is somewhat recommended.... ( )
  scottcholstad | Dec 4, 2014 |
A typical MacLean thriller which brings nothing new to the table. But I have read it couple of times nevertheless and I like the character of the wisecracking captain. That's why this book has a special place in my heart. Good memories of adolescent years. ( )
  Veeralpadhiar | Mar 31, 2013 |
Carter is First Officer on an unusual tramp steamer plying the world's oceans in the 60s. The steamer is unusual in that it's directors have also added first class cabins for the comfort of various well heeled guests who wish a cruise without the diversions of a typical liner.

Shortly after leaving Kingston, jamaica, a member of the crew is found to be missing, and only the heroic capabilities of our first officer can save the remaining crew memeber sand their top flight guests from the consequences.

Short sharp and enjoyable, but with minimal characterisation of anyone but Carter and thin even there. Typical high octane and unbelivable action on the high seas. ( )
  reading_fox | May 30, 2008 |
One of the most obscure of McLeans' early novels, but a personal favorite. It was hard to find in print in the 70s, with the result that for years my copy of this book was a library bound edition that I had somehow failed to return to the Tappan Junior High School library. Now I have a paperback; in fact, I have two.
  wfzimmerman | Jul 16, 2007 |
A luxury cruise...A missing atomic scientist...A hidden nuclear device...A very rich and beautiful woman...A band of desperate hijackers...A ship of gold.
Put them all together with first officer John Carter, tough, shrewd, resourceful, and you have a fantastic blend of suspense-adenture and international intrigue. -- From the web (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Den/7062/maclean)
  rajendran | May 22, 2006 |

Alistair MacLeanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vuoristo, AaroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO A. A. LAMONT
My shirt was no longer a shirt but just a limp and sticky rag soaked with sweat.

A timeless classic of modern-day piracy from the acclaimed master of action and suspense. Aboard the SS Campari, all is not well. For Johnny Carter, the Chief Officer, the voyage has already begun badly; but it's only when the Campari sails that evening, after a succession of delays that he realises something is seriously wrong. A member of the crew is suddenly missing and the stern-to-stern search only serves to increase tension. Then violence erupts and suddenly the whole ship is in danger. Is the Campari a victim of modern day piracy? And what of the strange cargo hidden below the decks?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,362,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible