Modelland by Tyra Banks

Modelland (2011)

by Tyra Banks

719168,809 (2.23)1

You know what? I'm going to read this for the LOLs. Shitty book with a shitty plot and even shittier characters?

*cracks knuckles*

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
OMG this book is quite possibly the worst thing I've ever read and I've read some serious crap in my time. Part of it is hilarious in it's absurdity but after a while it stops being 'It's so bad it's funny' and just becomes tedious.

Tyra Banks is a joke with this book and I suspect it's not an intentional joke but it's a joke nonetheless. ( )
  chickalea | Mar 14, 2014 |
I've never done a vlog review before, and I doubt I'll do many. However, I thought it might be the best way for me to get my thoughts across for this particular book. I'm not going to type out all or most of what I said, but I will give you a quick paragraph's summation of my general thoughts on Modelland, as well as some additional feedback.

Honestly, Modelland was not as bad as I was expecting, but this doesn't mean it was good. The world it's set in makes no actual sense, as there don't really appear to be any people actually working in food production. Still, there are times when it comes close to being a funny satirical novel. It doesn't make it though. I think, with better editing and plotting, Modelland could have been a delightful satire. Also important in that would be the removal of at least 300 pages. Sustaining comedy over 600 pages just is not going to happen. Think of the best humor books you know, and you'll probably find them to be short. Brevity is your friend. Run through the same joke too many times, and it's not going to be funny anymore.

The other downfall of the book is that Banks makes the unique heroines too weird. They are objects of pity and disgust, rather than someone that a regular girl would relate to. The reader ought to see herself in Tookie and the other Unicas, but instead I think they're hardly better than anyone else.

I also did a vlog review, which you can check out here, for more details.

Tyra, bless her heart, tried, but she's just not wearing the author mantle well. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
There's really nothing I can say that hasn't already been said before. So, with that, I'm just going to use this space to rec another book that deals with beauty and girls and accepting yourself.

[bc:Beauty Queens|9464733|Beauty Queens|Libba Bray|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1289410187s/9464733.jpg|10808145]

Seriously. Go read this instead of Modelland.

EDIT: ...The bulimic girl is sorry for the Hollywood Homely Mary Sue.

princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
Holy hell I'm DONE with this travesty. The acknowledgements mention that this 560-page beast was edited DOWN from the original thousand pages, and I think they could have trimmed more than just 44%. There's a lot of waste here, and it's just awful. Some of it is terrible in the hilarious b-movie way, but most of it is just plain terrible. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
to ma and daddy, thank you for being absolutely, positively nothing like Mr and Mrs De La Cream
You want to be there.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038574059X, Hardcover)

Tyra Banks on Modelland

From the moment the idea for Modelland came to me while driving down the FDR to the second my editor said, "Pencils down, Tyra," five long years passed, but Modelland finally made its way into the world. Once the novel hit the shelves, I began smizing from ear to ear and then embarked on a five-city tour to bring Modelland to my fam. (I call them fams not fans because they are family to me!) In between Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, and New York, I found one common theme between everyone that came to see me. In every city, young girls shared fears and questions on how to accept their appearances and how to deal with bullies who make self-love that much harder.

When I was in elementary school, I was the mean girl; I was the bully. Then I turned 11, grew 3 inches, lost 30 pounds in three months, and suddenly found that I was the one being bullied. Perhaps this action was deserved? I got the chance to see how I made other girls feel when I was the leader of the mean pack. Nevertheless, I’ve seen both spectrums and want children and adults all over to realize that bullying is not ok.

On my book tour, I realized that Modelland would allow me to continue to reach young girls and push society’s idea of beautiful, just like America’s Next Top Model. Anyone who’s watched the show knows that I am passionate about atypical beauties, and Modelland is continuing that idea.

The campy, fun, and adventurous world of Tookie De La Crème and Modelland works to share the message of celebrating individuality and unique beauty by transporting readers to my wacky, neon magical world of fantasy, sprinkled with glimpses of my personal life, experiences, and a larger message of beauty and acceptance.

While I dreamt up Tookie, I put many of my own traits into her personality and appearance--from her forehead that goes on and on and on to her insecurity to the fact that she started modeling at 15. More importantly, I created Tookie to relate to everyone and serve as a platform for discussion regarding the fact that beauty should not be defined by clothing size, hair color, or body shape. I want my readers to connect with Tookie and her friends in Modelland--Shiraz, Dylan, and Piper--because they are different, because they are unique, and because they represent YOU.

So now I give Modelland to you and encourage you to not only enter the thrilling world, but connect with Tookie and her journey while expanding your own definition of beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

Thrown into a world where she does not seem to belong, awkward fifteen-year-old Tookie De La Creme is invited to join the most exclusive modeling school in the world, where she must survive the beastly Catwalk Corridor and the terrifying Thigh-High Boot Camp in order to uncover Modelland's sinister secrets.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,867,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible