dismiss

The Tomb and Other Tales (A Del Rey Book) by…

The Tomb and Other Tales (A Del Rey Book) (original 1965; edition 1986)

by Howard Phillips Lovecraft

This extraordinary collection features 13 spine-tingling tales of delicious terror by the unquestioned master of the horror genre, as well as portions of stories he never fully completed. Discover how the mind of H.P. Lovecraft worked, and how much his early and late stories tell about this intriguing writer.… (more)
Member:jgbell
Title:The Tomb and Other Tales (A Del Rey Book)
Authors:Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Info:Del Rey (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages

The Tomb and Other Tales by H. P. Lovecraft (1965)

English (9)  Italian (1)  All languages (10)
Not bad, writing feels a bit archaic but translates the strange vibe well enough. ( )
  EdwardL95 | Jan 7, 2020 |
"Sedibus ut saltem placidis in morte quiescam" (“En un lugar placentero, cuando muera, me sea dado descansar”) - Virgilio

Siguiendo con la continuación de los relatos cortos de H. P. Lovecraft, leemos La Tumba (The Tomb), la historia de Jervas Dudley, quien vivió siempre en esferas alejadas del mundo real y se siente obsesionado por una antigua cripta... ¿en qué punto la obsesión puede tornarse en locura? o ¿ acaso fue algo más?... ( )
  RafaTenochca | Sep 10, 2019 |
The wild life of an 18th century bon vivant haunts a young man from the 1920s. ( )
  jefware | Jul 30, 2018 |
Contains some of his earliest work, a few unfinished short fragments, and none of the major stories. Some are rather enjoyable though, my favourite being the Horror at Red Hook.
3 stars oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
I am a champion of those tales which are consider'd E'ch-Pi-El's "minor" works because I find so many of them so peculiar and enchanting, playful and provocative. This paperback from Del Rey has an excellent sampling of Lovecraft's less familiar stories, and although I would not recommend this as a beginning place for those who are new to Lovecraft's Works, I can confess that I adore most of its Contents.

"The Festival" remains a keen favourite, and I love the atmosphere invested in the creation of Kingsport and its occult ways. The story is, unlike most of Lovecraft's tales, absolutely supernatural. "He" is another story of which I am fond, despite its slight expression of Lovecraft's wretched racism. Again, it is an excellent study in weird atmosphere, conjuring the weird mood of Outside otherness that Lovecraft felt to be a vital component in the weird tale. "The Strange High House in the Mist" is another tale set in mythic Kingsport.

The very early "The Alchemist" is, despite the youthfulness of its author, a rather good story. I never paid the story much attention until I listen'd to a reading of it online, during which I was completely captivated.

The fragments are my favourite portion of this slim collection. "Azathoth" is thought by some scholars to be an early experimental beginning for what eventually became "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath." "The Descendant" has long interested me, to the point where I sometimes fancy that I'd like to complete it--although I wou'd never tie my own byline to that of Lovecraft's. In his correspondence, Lovecraft mentions many such experiments with fiction that he has discarded and destroyed; and it makes me moan to think of the perhaps hundreds of such tidbits that we have lost because of HPL's habit of throwing away so much of his experiments in weird writing. "The Book" is very curious--a retelling in prose of the first three sonnets from FUNGI FROM YUGGOTH. The story was completed by another writer, and that version was included by Ramsey Campbell in his Arkham House anthology, NEW TALES OF THE CTHULHU MYTHOS. "The Thing in the Moonlight" is not entirely by Lovecraft, being a letter that he wrote to Donald Wandrei describing a dream. The beginning and ending portions of the tale were added by another bloke when he published his extended version in his fanzine. Because the "story" is not entirely by Lovecraft and was never intended by him to be published, S. T. Joshi has removed it from all of his editions of Lovecraft's tales. ( )
2 vote wilum | Jan 13, 2014 |

Azathoth
The Decent
The Book
The Thing in the Moonlight

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,637,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible