Creative Spirit by Scott Nicholson

Creative Spirit

by Scott Nicholson

In Creative Spirit, a group of artists from a variety of fields are brought to a remote Appalachian retreat where they are staying at the Korban Manor. The manor is a place that has trapped numerous spirits over the years, all under the power of former master of the estate Ephram Korban, who has transcended his human body and stays alive inside of the manor. Now he wants to be made flesh once again and needs the help of the guests from the retreat. Parapsychologist Anna Galloway is dying of cancer and is led to the manor because she has dreams where she sees her own ghost at the manor. Meanwhile, Mason Jackson, a sculptor is using this retreat as a go-for-broke attempt to realize his dreams. Unbeknownst to him, Ephram Korban has more devious plans for him in an attempt to sculpt him back to life, while he plans on using Anna’s psychic power to accomplish his nefarious goals.

One of the things that I enjoy about Nicholson’s novels is how he makes use of setting. In this case, the remote part of the Appalachian Mountains in which the story takes place is a perfect setting. It delivers the right mood and atmosphere for what is to follow. The story is a bit complex and not always easy to follow, but things come together by the end of the novel, where the individual storylines are woven together in a fiery finale. This is an enjoyable novel that I would recommend.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jan 13, 2014 |
Author Scott Nicholson does a credible job of telling a story. The plot is nicely paced, there are a couple of twists that I didn’t see coming and the ending was satisfying. The problem that I had was with the dialogue. It was so flat and unnatural that the characters never came to life. I can’t get fully engaged in a horror story if I don’t care what happens to the main character. For $2.99 on the Kindle I felt like I got my money’s worth, but I wasn’t overly impressed ( )
  dgbryant | Jul 20, 2012 |
Artists from all over the country come to awaken their muse as a historic countryside mansion that some say is haunted by the long dead owner. Little do they know just how haunted the mansion and surrounding lands really are. Who can and cannot be trusted? Who's dead and who's alive? Is it the artists doing the creating or something far more evil and powerful?

Another great story by Scott Nicholson. It's full of detail, imagination and creepy goodness. Well done. ( )
  slarsoncollins | Jul 3, 2012 |
I really wanted to like this book as I typically love all of Scott Nicholson's work, but I found it hard to finish. The main characters were fleshed out, but I just did not find myself caring what happened to them. It was a good ghost story with a foreseeable twist at the end. I will continue reading this author's work as he is a great writer. ( )
  LeleliaSky | Mar 31, 2012 |
I was drawn to this book by its setting. I am from the Appalachian Mountain region and find myself interested in stories based within the ridges and deep hollows throughout the area. This is my introduction to Mr. Nicholson and found him to be an excellent storyteller and writer.

Imagine a group of artists on a retreat, each trying to recapture the "creative spirit" that for many has slipped away, only to find themselves trapped and being used by a the spirit of the man who built the mansion that they have been invited to to rekindle that "creative spirit". One of the invited guests is the granddaughter of the house creator and through her he wants to reclaim his life along with the help of the creations of the some of the artists as he and his minions lead them in their creative workings. Will the spirits of the house overcome the living and recreate their lives or will those that are living overcome the temptations of knowing that the works they are making will increase their fame and possible fortune? Are all of the good people really that good or are they trying to manipulate the guests for their own ends? It all comes to a very dramatic climax in the end.

Mr. Nicholson's native characters living on the mountain, brought to mind real people that I am acquainted with from the Appalachians. Their beliefs in omens, charms, and the lore that they kept alive were very familiar to me. He has evidently spent some time on the ridges of the mountains.

A very good read and a job well done. I look forward to reading more of Scott Nicholson's works. Hopefully he does not have to go to the mountaintop to get fresh material. One never knows what type of "spirit" one may run into on the mountains. ( )
  qstewart | Feb 1, 2012 |
Creative Spirit is the author’s preferred DRM-free edition of the 2004 U.S. paperback release The Manor. Those two titles may be combined with each other but should not be combined with The Manor: A Supernatural Screenplay.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786015802, Mass Market Paperback)

Ephram Korban was an admirer of the human creative spirit, dedicated to collecting art in its many forms--literature, photography, painting, and sculpture--before he took his own life. Nestled in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains stands the home he built as a retreat for artists to hone their craft, perfect their skills...perhaps even produce a masterpiece. Isolated from the outside world in the electricity-free mansion, artists gather to court their muses for six weeks, undisturbed.

Anna Galloway has no interest in art and even less in the people who produce it. Her sensibilities are more in tune with the realm beyond the physical, where the souls of the deceased reside and visions reveal secrets. She has included herself among the elite artistes in residence at Korban's retreat because she has seen the manor in her dreams--and believes Korban's ghost may be wandering its halls.

Now, a blue moon is on the rise in October, opening magical pathways to conjure up something unimaginable. Something feeding off the energies of those in the house. Something seeking everlasting life--at any cost...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:06 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Scott Nicholson's book Creative Spirit was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Scott Nicholson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible