The Loss of the S.S. Titanic by Lawrence…

The Loss of the S.S. Titanic

by Lawrence Beesley

274. The Loss of the SS Titanic Its Story and its Lessons, by Lawrence Beesley (read 9 Aug 1946) On Aug 8, 1946, I said: "Reading book about the sinking of the Titanic. Poorly written." On Aug 9 I said: "Finished Titanic book. Not enough information in it, and poorly written." ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 18, 2013 |
This has been excellent. I first heard about it on wikipedia on a titanic writeup. It is the written testimony of an individual who survived the sinking of the titanic. The writer does a really good job of telling the events as he remembered them. He tries to be fair, and is very good at telling the information without fanfare, and from the perspective he saw it from, which was the titanic was brand new and "unsinkable". Several times he says "remember, we weren't reacting to the history that we have now, which is that the titanic sank. She was a brand new ship." He was able to convey a lot of the leadership confusion that resulted from not having someone specifically responsible for removal of passengers in an emergency...maritime practice was that the captain was responsible. He describes things that happened as natural consequences to the situation. He is able to convey why people did what they did, and also brings in the testimonies given from the investigations into the incident. I highly recommend the book because it is very well written, and because he brings in a unique perspective. I cannot say enough good about this book, that's how much I liked it! ( )
  Rbeelee | Apr 21, 2012 |
My dad's grandfather owned a copy of this book from the actual year it was published. Such a wonderfully written story, but under terrible circumstances. ( )
  Lizzybeth23 | May 2, 2011 |
8.0
  Listener42 | Sep 1, 2008 |
The history of the R.M.S. Titanic, of the White Star Line, is one of the most tragically short it is possible to conceive.

Lawrence Beesley was one of the luckiest men on the Titanic. Although the word had been given, “women and children first,” he was nevertheless ordered into a lifeboat to make up the numbers. At the end of that fateful night he stepped, dry and physically unharmed, onto the deck of the rescuing ship Carpathia. We are also fortunate in that, as a science teacher, Beesley was an intensely curious man. During the journey he had been paying careful attention to every aspect of shipboard life, from how seagulls were able to keep pace with the liner, to why the vibrations from the great engines were most noticeable when taking a bath. He put these observational skills to good use in his description of the sinking, and of how the passengers, the crew, and later the public reacted, providing us one of the most complete and thoughtful eyewitness accounts of the disaster.

First published in 1912, just two short months after the sinking of the TITANIC, this hauntingly immediate account opens with Lawrence Beesley's story of arriving onshore and soon after walking through the doors of Messrs. Houghton and Mifflin to tell his tale. THE LOSS OF THE S.S. TITANIC represents Beesley's attempt not just to record the events of the sinking but to set the record straight. In so doing, he captures both the majesty and the tragedy of this legendary voyage -- the view from the lifeboat as well as that from the deck. Full of wonderful nautical detail and written with a hair-raising clarity, THE LOSS OF THE S.S. TITANIC is an altogether spellbinding tale of that fateful night -- one you won't soon forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:11 -0400)

This is the thrilling first-hand account of the sinking of the Titanic by Englishman Lawrence Beesley who managed to escape the stricken liner on lifeboat 13.

11 wanted3 free
1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible