Wielding a Red Sword by Piers Anthony

Wielding a Red Sword

by Piers Anthony

Series: Incarnations of Immortality (4)

As with the earlier books in the series: not as good as I remembered. But I will finish my re-read! ( )
  Journeymouse | Sep 12, 2014 |
  Journeymouse | Sep 12, 2014 |
  Journeymouse | Sep 11, 2014 |
This is the 4th book in the series, but like the rest of the books it can be read on its own. I thought the book was ok, not the greatest. You know what is going to happen in the rest of the book after the first few chapters. I feel Anthony started sliding after book two, Bearing an Hourglass. As with his Xanth novels, I still feel the first was the best. ( )
  PhxDan | Aug 28, 2014 |
A look into one of the more violent Incarnations: War, Mars, Aries. However you wish to describe him, this is his story. How Mym, an unlikely candidate for War, first escaped from his kingdom, joined a traveling circus because he fell in love with one of the performers only to be rushed back home when his kingdom was in need of an heir. Back home, he falls in love again, and is about to marry this lovely princess when his father calls off the marriage to arrange something more profitable for the kingdom. This doesn't please Mym too much, and when he is then given the Red Sword, he is able to use his unique office to hinder war rather than encourage it (much to the dismay of his sidekick incarnations--Pestilence, Famine, Conquest and Slaughter)--and of course to battle the Incarnation of Evil himself, Satan.

This is a truly fun story that is well worth the read. I think that my future readings will have to go on hold as there are four more books in this series...and I want to read them all! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisp, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a travelling show, the kind that drifted from village to village, performing for thrown rupees.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345322215, Mass Market Paperback)

Mym was a dutiful son, but rather than agree to his father's choice for his marriage, he took up the Red Sword, symbol of office of the Incarnation of War, in order to ameliorate some of the suffering caused by Earth's constant petty wars. But Mym discovered that Satan was waiting to trap him, and he must now take desperate measures to outwit the evil genius who aimed to destroy the world....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Mym, an Indian prince in a land dominated totally by rajahs, assumes the role of War and, in his new incarnation, sets out to alleviate injustice and undermine the evil power of Satan.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible