Froi of the Exiles: The Lumatere Chronicles…

Froi of the Exiles: The Lumatere Chronicles (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Melina Marchetta

Member:karryn_p
Title:Froi of the Exiles: The Lumatere Chronicles
Authors:Melina Marchetta
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta (2011)

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (Herenya)
    Herenya: "Froi of the Exiles" is set three years after "Finnikin of the Rock".

I never reviewed this originally, but with a re-read scheduled for December 2014, a review will most certainly come.  Froi is one of my favorite male characters and this series is unforgettable.   ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
Second in series but can be read alone. Good YA book for adults ( )
  mgriel | Jan 18, 2016 |
Froi of the Exiles (Second Book in the Lumatere Chronicles)
by Melina Marchetta
eGalley courtesy of NetGalley

***Review does contain some spoilers***

Froi of the Exiles is a book very much about family, loyalty, trust, and what happens when the unexpected occurs and new truths emerge. Froi is the main protagonist in this novel, but the supporting characters are given so much space to develop and grow as well I found myself becoming attached to all of them and what happened to them throughout the course of the story.
It starts simply enough. Froi is sent to assassinate the King of Charyn and return to Lumatere. Obstacles pop up in every direction he turns once he's at the castle in Charyn, one of the more interesting ones being Quintana, the mad daughter of the King who is nowhere to be seen. One of the King's Advisors has seen fit to put himself in charge, Bestiano. He lives up to what his name implies.
Froi has arrived at an interesting time in Charyn. It is under a curse, and no children have been born for eighteen years. All of the last born children have been marked--it is indicated in the prophecy that the last born and the first born of the last borns will end the curse.
Marchetta deftly moves between Froi's attempts to complete his mission and several very involving subplots which include fleshed out characters who are also seen to grow and develop through the course of the novel. Finnikin and Isaboe appear with their daughter, and they do have parts to play, but they are put on a smaller burner on the back of the stove while other characters who had smaller roles in Finnikin of the Rock are brought forward.
Having literally just finished Froi, I am still reeling a little. It has a cliffhanger ending, and I have to confess that I dislike cliffhanger endings--I would have bought the third book regardless. The last third of the book is so emotionally involving it I read straight through. There is heartbreak and loss, as well as mystery, which i wasn't expecting, especially from the source it comes from.
Froi finds out about his past, possibly more than he wanted to know. Little snippets of this are revealed as the story progresses, and they blend in seamlessly with what's happening. I never felt jolted out of a scene even if it was a situation where Froi himself felt jolted out of his surroundings, and I just followed his thoughts.
I am particularly impressed with Marchetta's ability to do this--to weave integral parts in so deftly without them seeming forced at all. Her characters are sometimes difficult to like, but as the novel progressed, you find out why they are the way they are, and things begin to make more sense. The only time this isn't really done is with Bestiano and the other antagonists, but that isn't a necessary part--we know enough about Bestiano to know his reasoning for wanting to take over--the same as most traitorous rulers who act against their King. There's also a nice little mystery around this, although it is possible to guess the answer.
This is a novel well worth a reader's time, and one you'll want to re-read if you're a reader like me who gets so caught up in the story the first time you need to go back for more detail. Froi of the Exiles is a very worthy sequel to Finnikin of the Rock, one that I would rank among some of the other best Young Adult Fantasy out right now. Middle books in a trilogy sometimes get a hard time, accused of all sorts of heinous things. Froi of the Exiles has everything: action, escapes, fighting, hiding, love--unrequited, unrealized, and recognized--betrayal, truths, loyalty and the testing of it, mystery, family... It is one of the few novels I have read over the past year that have literally left me speechless and in emotional turmoil. Now we just have to wait a year for the final novel to come out and hope everything is resolved somewhat to everyone's satisfaction? I know I’ll be there for the sequel after reading Froi of the Exiles.

waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
A fast-paced plot with great characters, who show real emotions - the couples bicker, the friends joke. There are plot twists to keep you guessing and a bit of magic (magic realism?) thrown in for good measure. The landscapes are nicely drawn and sat comfortably in my imagination. Now I need to read the next one. ( )
  devilish2 | Jan 1, 2014 |
I have been oscillating between 4 and 5 stars on this one and after a few days to think about it and then re-reading parts, I'm going back to 4 stars.

This is a very good book, I Liked it a lot. Notice the capital "L"? Now [b:Finnikin of the Rock|4932435|Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1)|Melina Marchetta|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1227961623s/4932435.jpg|4998084] I LOVE dearly and felt the need to run out and buy and then press into the hands of all of my family and friends.

I am certainly recommending Froi and I read it straight through a weekend but my intense feelings are still with the first book (I think I am in the minority here after reading reviews.)

Marchetta is an amazing writer and I continue to marvel at the way she can make me laugh and cry so quickly. I must admit, I figured a few things out early but here is the beauty of Melina's writing...

I.Did.Not.Care.

My only complaint?

Having to wait for the third book. ( )
  mkpiry | Sep 26, 2013 |
To Laura
For conversations in Ravenna
and New York playlists
They called her Quintana the cursemaker.
"Your father lives in the chamber beside us, Finnikin. You speak to him every night and every morning and if for some reason you can't sleep through the night, you speak to him then as well. Do you not see that as an attachment?"

From master storyteller Melina Marchetta comes an exhilarating new fantasy springing from her celebrated epic, Finnikin of the Rock.

Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home . . . or so he believes. Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been taken roughly and lovingly in hand by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper with a warrior's discipline. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds in its surreal royal court. Soon he must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad princess in this barren and mysterious place. It is in Charyn that he will discover there is a song sleeping in his blood . . . and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen.

Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been taken roughly and lovingly in hand by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family but is soon sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn where he must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad princess.… (more)

59 wanted3 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,766,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible