Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Butterflies and Late Loves: The Further…

Butterflies and Late Loves: The Further Travels and Adventures of a… (edition 1987)

by Margaret Fountaine

193537,190 (3.88)None
Member:birdsmath
Title:Butterflies and Late Loves: The Further Travels and Adventures of a Victorian Lady
Authors:Margaret Fountaine
Info:Salem House Pub (1987), Hardcover, 141 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read 2013

Butterflies and Late Loves by Margaret Fountaine

Fascinating story of a Victorian lady traveling around the world catching butterflies, eggs and larvae and raising them to get perfect specimens. Often she traveled alone but sometimes met an entomologist in new territories. She came from a moneyed English family but she preferred the sunny climates instead of the damp cool weather of England. She traveled with a Syrian man off and on for 27 years but was not married. Fountaine's low morals pull down this naturalist's story taken from her diaries. ( )
  birdsmath | Jan 25, 2013 |
A sequel to the wonderful (though short) [Love Among the Butterflies] and again we travel around the world with the ever intrepid Miss Fountaine. If you enjoyed the first book then it is simply a 'must' that you will need to read the sequel and you will not be disappointed. Miss Fountaine is not perfect (which of us is?) and from her comments about England you would think that it is perpetually cold and raining. It would seem that we English do indeed talk (or write about the weather) and Miss Fountaine best enjoyed hot tropical climes, which are definitely not to found in England (with the exception of Kew Gardens etc). So her visits 'home' are brief and fortunately for us the reader she is back on her travels.

I gave this book (like the previous one) only four and a half stars rather than five and again this is no reflection on my opinion of the superb Miss Fountaine but is a grievance against the brief length of the book - only 174 pages. The editor W.F. Cater does on the whole a good job, although occasionally I would have liked a little less of the editor's words and more of Miss Fountaine. I especially thought the chapter titled 'New Readers Start Here' was not required - why couldn't the new reader simply read the previous book?,

A book well worth reading of an intrepid woman who took the 20th century with all it's new inventions (e.g. Flying) in her stride. I was sorry the book had to end and intend to make a pilgrimage to the Castle Museum in Norwich in order to see some of her collection. Miss Fountaine I salute you. ( )
1 vote Bowerbirds-Library | Sep 17, 2011 |
the editor was excellent. his comments were incisive and humorous. the story was interesting. born in i862, this woman took trains, cars, planes. my grandmother born in the 1890s wouldn't get on a train or a boat or i guess anything that moved. she was very positive and upbeat and not much seemed to get her down. ( )
1 vote mahallett | Dec 22, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible