HERS: Design with a Feminine Touch by…

HERS: Design with a Feminine Touch

by Jacqueline deMontravel

13None717,628 (4.25)1

Gorgeously, fully realized photos of feminine style in decor harkens back to the essence of being a woman without censure in this lush and liberating book.

Sensuous shapes and styles, delicate to firey colorings and a notable eye for art and accessories give life and light to this book. You may think you've read and seen all there is to know about decorating and design, but you'll be surprised!

There is so much to this book that it's difficult to summarize the best of it, but I'm going to try by giving you a highlight I loved best:

The Boudoir:

The French called it...boudoir meaning "to sulk" which in our day-and-age could easily mean our "meltdown" parlor! Our place to escape from the stresses of the world that call on our resources, sometimes more than we have to give.
Virginia Wolff called it "A Room of One's Own," and Jacqueline deMontravel calls it "a state-of-mind" place; one that should be inviting and reflective of who we are at our feminine core, and full of those things that we take particular pleasure in and gain peace from.
After studying this beautiful book, I designed my own perfect place and these are a few of the features:
A huge, ornate mirror framed in mirror pieces and resting on the floor; a button-tufted, large ottoman in blue and champagne silk; a 1700's reproduction chaise, down-filled cushions in washed linen decorated with winter white, blue and pink silk pillows; Louis XVI side chairs in a scrubbed finish; a silver vase of blue hydrangeas and roses...etc...
Does this tell you anything?

In addition to helping find our feminine center in decorating for our "boudoirs," this beautiful book leads us to rethink such other places in our homes as the living room, garden spaces, bar (even stocking and recipes) and entertainment areas, office and collection displays...including book cases.

I highly recommend this gorgeous book. The pictures alone make it very desirable, of course, as a coffee table book, or for your interior design library collection. But, more than that, it holds a trip back into the vast history of where we've come from and where we're headed as women in design.

Deborah/TheBookishDame ( )
  BookishDame | Dec 24, 2011 |
Moving into your first apartment? Leaving a huge home to go to a small retirement apartment? Designing your own home for your family of five? HERS: Design with a Feminine Touch, is an illustrated guide to empower women to create a beautiful female sanctuary out of even the smallest cubby in their homes. Pages of photographs, sidebars and explanations guide amateur decorators to create fresh, sophisticated and inviting feminine décor. Just as each woman needs a “go-to” dress, each is entitled to a personal, glamorous space where she can relax and express her individuality. Yours may be a reading nook, bedroom nightstand home office, or garden path.

Author Jacqueline deMontravel, editorial director of Beckett Media’s lifestyle group, edits Romantic Homes magazine. She has two decades of experience in magazine publishing. Her other books include Vintage Vavoom, The Vintage Table and 21st Century Etiquette. Marisa Crawford, Jacqueline deMontravel, Bret Gum, Jaimee Itagaki and Mark Tanner provided the photographs for a feast-for-the-eyes book.

The book abounds with practical suggestions, such as adjusting the layout of your room and colorizing without scaring off the opposite sex. Suggestions are given for thoughtfully displaying important mementos and adding interesting accents. Also discussed is how to choose the era and locale that fits your unique style. Editing is encouraged. In other words, throw away the clutter so that you can enjoy the treasures you’ve decided to highlight.

The suggestions are refreshingly not all about lace and pearls, but cater to those with busy lives who require a relaxing space—a “just for me” alcove. The photographs are a major player in this illustrated book. The reader can daydream as she takes in the detail in each shot. Ideas abound. So many different styles are presented that each woman will find something just for her within the pages of HERS: Design with a Feminine Touch.

Crown Publishing Group via NetGalley graciously supplied the advance review copy for my unbiased opinion.

Reviewed by Holly Weiss, author of Crestmont
http://www.hollyweiss.com ( )
  hollysing | Oct 15, 2011 |

Design your own beautiful sanctuary in any space, with unabashedly feminine style

Whether you are happily single or a mother of four, having a room that pleases you is a common fantasy. After all, what woman doesn’t want a modern, romantic, feminine, grown-up space that she can call her own—where she can listen to opera (or eighties music) and engross herself in the pages of Jane Austen (or the latest celebrity gossip)?

Hers offers hundreds of stylish ways for creating your own private retreat, even when your bedroom doubles as your living room or when delicate furnishings don’t seem compatible with kid-friendly living. With some thoughtful rethinking of your home’s layout and some imagination, you can dedicate part of a shared space to your own interests, and Jacqueline deMontravel will show you how.

These interiors celebrate the beauty and comfort of feminine design with color, furniture shapes, and attractive accessories. Lose yourself in such imaginative possibilities as:

• an old-glamour boudoir complete with a vanity table and a bed piled high with linens
   • a sophisticated dressing room with a plush ottoman and a floor-to-ceiling mirror
   • a delightful nook created by an antique bench, a Parisian rug positioned beneath a staircase, and a whimsical clock
   • a bedside seating area accented with a tufted lounge chair and a mirrored  nightstand holding a collection of fashion books
   • a small reading corner with a bright orange chair next to a mod table and a vase of Gerbera daisies

And because a woman’s style doesn’t always mean frills and lace, Hers includes modern interpretations of the feminine classics: stripes in place of florals, hot pink shoes displayed like works of art, or a retro red-and-black color scheme with pop accessories.

Along with hundreds of enchanting photographs, you’ll find plenty of ideas for  personalizing and enjoying your space; hints on how to make your space sexy, special, and inviting; guidance on being prepared to entertain guests at a moment’s notice; new ideas for organizing and displaying collections; and even tips for beautifying a work area so it encourages creativity and not stress. With the endless inspiration and ideas in Hers, you’ll learn everything you need to know about designing a place of personalized retreat or where you can just savor doing nothing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:40 -0400)

An empowering guide for women on how to create a modern, feminine, and mature personal sanctuary in any space shares guidelines for avoiding fussy and frilly accents while preserving both personal and guest needs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible