The Reason for a Flower by Ruth Heller

The Reason for a Flower (1983)

by Ruth Heller

This book was nicely crafted in the sense that it gives the reader a better understanding of what plants can do to benefit our world and how they allow us to be able to have the wonderful things that we do have such as food and oxygen and beautiful smells. ( )
  lpittman | Apr 27, 2017 |
  jkibbey | Apr 25, 2017 |
detailed discussion of pollination and why we have different insects and types of flowers.
1 book
  TUCC | Nov 11, 2016 |
This is an informational book. This book is all about flowers and how they grow. The books goes through the process of a seed and how it blossoms into a flower ad all different types of plants. It relates plants and flowers to animals, and also what we use it for, like using plants to make cotton or tea. ( )
  kfrost32 | Mar 10, 2015 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. There were very few words on each page, making it easy for young readers to get through this book. This book is written so that the last lines on a page, or every few pages depending on how much text is on the page, rhyme. This adds a playful vibe that young readers will really enjoy and can even help students remember the information they are learning. I also really liked that the key vocabulary words, like anther, pistil, seeds, flower, nectar, and many others were written in all capital letters to point out their importance. Herbivorous, carnivorous, and angiosperm were written in capital letters and broken apart by syllables for easier pronunciation. This book also features many beautiful illustrations of different kinds of flowers, insects, animals, and trees that aid in the discussion of how flowers are important in our world. My only complaints are that the font is a little small, making it hard to see with so few words with large pictures on the page and I wish there was a glossary in the back to define terms. Overall, this book provides a great explanation to what makes a flower important to the world while still being enjoyable to read. ( )
  kprinc3 | Feb 25, 2015 |

The reason for a flower is to manufacture seeds, but Ruth Heller shares a lot more about parts of plants and their functions in her trademark rhythmic style. "AAn? extravagantly beautiful creation. It is unusual in its ingenious way of teaching botany and interesting words to the littlest of readers." ? Publishers Weekly "Ms. Heller's colors and drawings are as electrifying as ever." ? Los Angeles Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:10 -0400)

Brief text and lavish illustrations explain plant reproduction and the purpose of a flower and present some plants which don't seem to be flowers but are.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible